GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,351
0 members and 1,351 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2005, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Blowing the whistle at CNU

TO:
Christopher Newport Univ., Newport News, VA
C.J. Woollum Director of Athletics cjwoollu@cnu.edu
Steve Shaw Head Coach sshaw@cnu.edu
Office of Student Life osl@cnu.edu
Tracey Teets Schwarze, Ph.D. Faculty Senate schwarze@cnu.edu
Michael Paul Williams mwilliams@timesdispatch.com
Jack Berninger, Sports Editor - Times Dispatch jberninger@timesdispatch.com
Gail Kimberling News Times gail.kimberling@lee.net

For many years, I've been part of the effort to stop hazing on campuses, and I'm sure you also detest hazing.

Hazing is always hidden, of course, but someone has posted on the Webshots photo sharing site some terrible pictures of hazing on the CNU mens soccer team.

The men pictured also appear in the 2005 Soccer Media Guide on the CNU website.

I hope that you will take appropriate action to stop this conduct.

The website is likely to disappear as soon as my email arrives, so I am sending three pictures attached, and will send five more pictures in two addl. emails.

I hope you'll let me know what action is taken.

http://community.webshots.com/album/448275988ihKRDW
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2005, 10:10 PM

I never cease to be amazed that pictures like some of those end up on the web for pretty much anyone to see.

Like the university administration.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I never cease to be amazed that pictures like some of those end up on the web for pretty much anyone to see.
I'm not... why should it be surprising that people dumb enough to participate in hazing are also dumb enough to post pictures of them being stupid?

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 11-06-2005, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

AND!

If They Are That Damn Stupid, then they should be Chastised!

I dont care Whose GLO it is!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

TO: George Moffett - Pres
Principia College. Elsah, MO
<Lenor Suarez - AD> las@prin.edu,
<Brian Gavaletz - football coach> brg@prin.edu,

-----------------------------
Mission Statement:
Each member of the Principia College football team will strive daily to see his teammates and coaches as perfect ideas of God._ Through selfless giving, putting the needs of the team in front of personal goals, and seeking your own in another’s good, you will begin to see not only your coaches and teammates, but all mankind as God made them, perfect.
---------------------------------------

For many years, I've been part of the effort to stop hazing on campuses, and I'm sure you also detest hazing.

Hazing is always hidden, of course, but someone has posted on the Webshots photo sharing site some terrible pictures of hazing on the Principia football team. No student deserves to be treated like this.

The website is likely to disappear as soon as my email arrives, so I am sending three pictures attached, and will send more pictures in two addl. emails.

http://community.webshots.com/album/435310940vQdqnZ
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

applauds to you for notifying the administration about this situation... I would hope that others do the same at other schools.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
TO: George Moffett - Pres
Principia College. Elsah, MO
<Lenor Suarez - AD> las@prin.edu,
<Brian Gavaletz - football coach> brg@prin.edu,

-----------------------------
Mission Statement:
Each member of the Principia College football team will strive daily to see his teammates and coaches as perfect ideas of God._ Through selfless giving, putting the needs of the team in front of personal goals, and seeking your own in another’s good, you will begin to see not only your coaches and teammates, but all mankind as God made them, perfect.
---------------------------------------

Hazing is always hidden, of course, but someone has posted on the Webshots photo sharing site some terrible pictures of hazing on the Principia football team. No student deserves to be treated like this.

The website is likely to disappear as soon as my email arrives, so I am sending three pictures attached, and will send more pictures in two addl. emails.

http://community.webshots.com/album/435310940vQdqnZ
=======================================
Principia replies:

Dear Sir,

I understand and appreciate your concern about hazing on campuses. The case in question at Principia College and the football team here is not such a case that needs concern though. I posted those pictures and assure you that hazing was only poor word choice in description of the album you saw I appologize for any confusion. My school, coaches and teammates as well as myself do not promote hazing in any way. Some players chose not to participate and were not forced into any situation they were not comfortable in. The haircuts were a fun and voluntary way to get to know the other incoming football players and veterans on the team. I look back on that time as a fun night and one of my fondest memories of many that I have made so far at this great school.

Sincerly,

Patrick Nichols

---------------------------

Thanks for you note. Iíve already heard from our head coach, Brian Gavaletz, who has spoken to the players. Here is his response:

"I want to assure you that there has been no hazing going on with our football team. I was not present when the team had this hair cutting party during sports camp. However, I spoke with the captains the next day about the hair cuts and they said that no one was made to get a haircut and that some chose not to participate. Those who did, did so willingly. I asked several of the freshmen about it and they did not feel any pressure about the haircuts and had a fun time with them. After that, I let it go because I did not feel there was any wrong doing."

I hope this helps answer your question. I'm grateful you felt free to write.

With best regards.

George Moffett
College President
Principia College
Elsah, IL_ 62028

Last edited by hoosier; 11-08-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand and appreciate your concern about hazing on campuses. The case in question at Principia College and the football team here is not such a case that needs concern though. I posted those pictures and assure you that hazing was only poor word choice in description of the album you saw I appologize for any confusion. My school, coaches and teammates as well as myself do not promote hazing in any way. Some players chose not to participate and were not forced into any situation they were not comfortable in. The haircuts were a fun and voluntary way to get to know the other incoming football players and veterans on the team. I look back on that time as a fun night and one of my fondest memories of many that I have made so far at this great school.
This makes me ill! If the guys didn't think it was hazing, they wouldn't have called it that. Not to mention some of those hair cuts were in very poor taste (from a females standpoint)....I know at least one of those guys shaved his head before going home to visit mom! This screams cover up by the administration! Pathetic.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Re: Blowing the whistle at CNU

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
TO:
Christopher Newport Univ., Newport News, VA
C.J. Woollum Director of Athletics cjwoollu@cnu.edu
Steve Shaw Head Coach sshaw@cnu.edu
Office of Student Life osl@cnu.edu
Tracey Teets Schwarze, Ph.D. Faculty Senate schwarze@cnu.edu
Michael Paul Williams mwilliams@timesdispatch.com
Jack Berninger, Sports Editor - Times Dispatch jberninger@timesdispatch.com
Gail Kimberling News Times gail.kimberling@lee.net

Hazing is always hidden, of course, but someone has posted on the Webshots photo sharing site some terrible pictures of hazing on the CNU mens soccer team.

The men pictured also appear in the 2005 Soccer Media Guide on the CNU website.

The website is likely to disappear as soon as my email arrives, so I am sending three pictures attached, and will send five more pictures in two addl. emails.

http://community.webshots.com/album/448275988ihKRDW
This links shows pictures from a party. I don't see hazing. Perhaps, I am missing something, or they changed the pictures.

In the second link, I can the hairshaving pictures.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Blowing the whistle at CNU

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
This links shows pictures from a party. I don't see hazing. Perhaps, I am missing something, or they changed the pictures.

In the second link, I can the hairshaving pictures.
They changed the pictures. I looked at the link right after hoosier posted it and DEFINITELY saw some questionable activities.

I'd be interested in CNU's response.

PsychTau
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

CNU Is my Alma Mater. Any update on the response? It always sucks to see things like this being done at your old school. I know many people on the soccer team... as well as the coaches.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard from a campus official today (not a school mentioned above):

"Our president has a policy for athletic teams - if hazing is discovered during the season, the season is over; if hazing is discovered between seasons, the next season is cancelled."

Sounds like a way to stop hazing.

We hate it when GLOs are suspended for hazing, but if they are warned in advance, they are responsible. It should be tempered, I think, by making the suspension for one term or one year, and every existing member is given alumni status.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and risk being a huge reactionary, but lighten up. When I was in high school the freshmen who made varsity lacrosse got their heads shaved and had to do some other stuff, but I lived. Looking back I wouldn't regret it and if somebody had looked at the seniors webshots afterwards and reported it as 'hazing' even though they had no idea what the real story was I would have missed out on a championship season. If the freshmen in question had a problem with it they could have grown a pair and reported it annonymously to the administration otherwise I think people should mind their business. Granted I didn't see what the CNU pictures was, but the Principia college ones looked pretty harmless as long as the guys were fine with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:43 AM

The problem is still that Hazing is against the law in most states -- whether anyone is harmed or not.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltAlum, some still dont get the picture anyway!

Just goes to show, it is not of Social Greek Genre'!

Maybe a 2 x 4 with do not haze on it in the fore head will get attention!

LX Z # 1
Alumni