GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,219
2 members and 1,217 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Miami University student found dead in Fraternity House

Very Sad

http://www.oxfordpress.com/hp/conten...iamideath.html

Miami student's death an overdose

Coroner says accounting major who suffered from migraines accidentally overdosed on Methodone.

HAMILTON— A Miami University student found dead in a fraternity house in November died of a drug overdose.
Clifton Alexander, 20, of Piqua, died of an accidental overdose of Methodone, Butler County Coroner Dr. Richard Burkhardt said Monday. Lab results also showed that benzodiazepine, a mild tranquilizer, was in Alexander's body.
Alexander, the third Miami student this year whose death was unnatural, suffered from migraine headaches and there were also two drugs in his body associated with treatment of that illness, Burkhardt said. But he said Alexander did not have a prescription for Methadone or the tranquilizer.
"We think he got it off the street," Burkhardt said. "Drugs there (Miami) are ubiquitous, it is my understanding."
The only prescription found in Alexander's room at the Sigma Nu fraternity house was for Migranal, a nasal spray to treat migraines, he said.
Burkhardt said Methadone was originally used by those addicted to morphine or heroin, but in recent years has become a prescribed drug.
He said the drug has a long "half life" and builds up quickly in the body. Other drugs taken with it amplify the effect.
The accounting major was found around 7:20 p.m. Nov. 26 inside his room at the frat house. The son of Miami County Recorder John Alexander and his wife, Kathleen, he was vice president of his fraternity and played in the university's marching band.
"We don't have an explanation," said John Alexander. "It was a shock to us. We miss him very much."
Alexander said his son was diagnosed with migraine headaches at the age of 9.
"He suffered for a long time. He was hospitalized a number of times where they had to sedate him to ease the pain," his father said.
Alexander was the third Miami student this year to suffer an unnatural death. In October, a 20-year-old student from Sharonville committed suicide by stepping in front of a train. In April, an intoxicated 19-year-old student also was hit by a train.
Oxford Police Chief Steve Schwein said he does not agree with the coroner that drugs in Oxford and on campus are plentiful.
"I don't think it is any more of problem that any other institution in the country," Schwein said.
He said police want to talk with Alexander's friends to determine where he got the Methadone, but that is not possible until students return after winter break.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

As someone who also gets horrible migraines, I understand the desperation to get your hands on medicine that will make the pain go away. So sad that he died in his pursuit.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Drugs are NOT ubiquitous at Miami, at least not any more than any other campus.

This has been a pretty devastating loss for Miami and the Greek community - Cliff was a great kid, a wonderful leader for his chapter, and a very talented musician. I've been following the story through the women from my chapter and my (bio) sister's chapter who were close to him.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
As someone who also gets horrible migraines, I understand the desperation to get your hands on medicine that will make the pain go away. So sad that he died in his pursuit.
yeah, i get migraines too, i feel bad for this kid. You know he suffered right untill the end.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Drugs are NOT ubiquitous at Miami, at least not any more than any other campus.
Oh wow, they are definitely not. I remember at least 3 really big busts when I was there.

This is really sad to hear though.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Which house did he belong to?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Which house did he belong to?
Sigma Nu.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Not saying this is the same circumstance...
Back in 2000 or 2001, a Delt at Ohio State took a combo of Drugs and Alchohol. They were unable to revive them. Their charter was revoked, but primarily because the chapter refused to assist investigators and did not want to accept responsibility.

They recolonized at OSU 2 years later and appear to be building a strong chapter.

The victim's sister, who was a DG at the time, now speaks to Greek organizations about the abuse of drugs and alcohol within GLOs.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so vary sad when a young mans life is taken this early in life.

The drugs authorized by the FDA are really scarry anymore.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Not saying this is the same circumstance...
Back in 2000 or 2001, a Delt at Ohio State took a combo of Drugs and Alchohol. They were unable to revive them. Their charter was revoked, but primarily because the chapter refused to assist investigators and did not want to accept responsibility.

They recolonized at OSU 2 years later and appear to be building a strong chapter.

The victim's sister, who was a DG at the time, now speaks to Greek organizations about the abuse of drugs and alcohol within GLOs.
Not sure I get why this is brought up in this thread? This wasn't a risk management issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Not sure I get why this is brought up in this thread? This wasn't a risk management issue.
Do we know that? The Sigma Nu at MU was taking Methadone and no one could find a script for it.