GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,321
3 members and 2,318 guests
Cookiez17, Kevin

Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I accidentally got banned during a spam cleanup, but it got fixed.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
So did I! You can imagine my surprise when I logged on to a message that I had been banned forever for an unstated reason.

Last edited by tinydancer; 09-19-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Me too!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to recommend Reddit again as a great place to talk about Greek Life. It's a well moderated site and it's easy to create new subreddits.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Amazon View Post
The forum can only show 20 pages of new posts and valid posts are being pushed out.
Nothing is being "pushed out."

If you go to the main forums individually instead of just clicking see new posts, you'll see if people have posted there. The posts that are new since your last visit will be in bold.

I know this is frustrating but incorrect assumptions about how the board works don't help.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Since the owner of the site was unable to raise the money he requested to keep it going, does anyone else think he has purposely abandoned it?
Ya, I think that's a legitimate issue. It sounded like he was paying out of pocket to run the site. After years of spending money and countless hours running this site, and then not being able to raise enough money from the thousands of members here, I don't really blame him for checking out a bit. I'd probably be pissed after that.

Anyway - I wonder if he'd be willing to sell this site. I also wonder if there are more creative ways of monetizing the site. Seriously, is there a way we can make each new member pay $1 to join?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you mods, for cleaning up all of that spam!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Nothing is being "pushed out."

If you go to the main forums individually instead of just clicking see new posts, you'll see if people have posted there. The posts that are new since your last visit will be in bold.

I know this is frustrating but incorrect assumptions about how the board works don't help.
Yes I understand that, I worded it poorly. They are still there to be found, but not if you select "New Posts". I apologize for angering you.

It was lovely to be here later in the day today after the spam was cleaned up.

ΒΣΦ
Louisiana Preceptor Pi -Exemplar
Old 09-21-2015, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow -- in 6 minutes, over 30 new spam posts!

I wish there was a limit to how many new threads you could start in a day for new members. If there was a limit of, for example, 2 a day (especially for people who have been a member for less than a month), I think it would deter the spammers from coming back and clogging up the board. The mods would have time to BAN a spammer and they'd have to re-register as new member, then have a 2 thread a day limit again. The cycle would continue until the spammers realize posting here is a waste of their time.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA85 View Post
Well, John is definitely alive and functional. Last night I filed a PayPal claim on the grounds that what was promised wasn't delivered. He apparently got on just long enough to deactivate my paid account because I'm back to a normal account today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA85 View Post
I was surprised to see any acknowledgement from him, especially so quickly.
I did send him a long message via the claim center about what was going on and told him it wasn't about the money but we all feel abandoned and requested that he get on and assign some super mods.. I'm hoping to hear back from him or see something done.

PayPal's claim window is 6 months which for me is TODAY so that's why I filed the claim when I did.

I don't even know where to start...
The PayPal claim is now closed because I got a response from him (which he asked me to keep private because he was going to
get on in a few days and post something....) and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but now I regret closing it. I don't know if I'm more disappointed that nothing is changed or pissed that I dropped it. $35 down the drain.

Θ Φ Α

Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

So John is not dead, dealing with a life threatening illness, in jail or completely incapacitated?

I take back all the times I stood up for him.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
So John is not dead, dealing with a life threatening illness, in jail or completely incapacitated?

I take back all the times I stood up for him.
Nope. Responded within 12ish hours to my claim, I'd say.

You know...the email he sent me was personal information but here's what he sent to me/PayPal in the claim center, for anyone who's interested...
My response here will be a bit more formal simply in the case that it is reviewed by PayPal staff regarding the claim. I will follow-up further via email with a more personal message.
First, I would like to note for PayPal staff that this payment was for virtual / intangible services, not a physical good, and is not covered by the PayPal buyer protection policy.
Regarding the claim that I abandoned my website, GreekChat.com, that is not correct. This is going on the 18th year GreekChat has been online and while I am not active in discussions recently I can assure you that I would not abandon the site/community. GreekChat has not had any downtime that I am aware of and functions of the site continue to run properly.
I will send you a personal email after posting this response to the PayPal dispute with additional info & discussion.
Sincerely,
John Hammell

Θ Φ Α

Last edited by TPA85; 10-01-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to whoever is doing such a great job keeping getting rid of the spam each day. It is much appreciated. I see it creeps at night back like a sick sort of infection, but your efforts are appreciated.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it's been a lot better lately! I don't regret supporting the site, because I've gotten a lot of enjoyment, camaraderie, and information over the years. I don't like the spam, but I still feel I'm getting the information I've come to appreciate (recruitment and colonization news, especially). Thanks to everyone who continues to contribute content and those who moderate.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
TPA85 - That's interesting. He mentions "discussion" in this post. Has he followed through with having a two sided discussion with you?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06