GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,147
0 members and 2,147 guests
No Members online

Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone in our chapter ordered their guards along with their pins, but not anymore. I have mine dangles (the ones that are on, that is!) on the sliding chain, but at a Panhellenic Luncheon, saw someone who had hers on just like AUDeltaGam does. After checking with our EO, I've decided to do something similar with my pin. "Alumnae Privilege" is great!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
I got my first guard after I ordered my pin and bought some dangles, but I recently purchased a new "upgraded" badge and purchased the guard at the same time. I'm planning on purchasing some (if not all) the dangles I plan on "repurchasing" at Convention in a few weeks.

But back to the original question - I put my dangles through the links of the guard, I guess to help them "stand out" individually. I've had a number of people (sisters and non-sisters) mention my dangles when they see me wearing my badge, and I guess I also feel that they're a little "safer" where I might only lose one if it fell off the chain, rather than all of them if my chain broke.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
hahaa. I thought this was a Reno 911 thread.
me too lol!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Question: For those of you who have each of your dangles on a separate link of your guard, how do you decide which goes in the middle, etc?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My badge with all the dangles

From left to right:
Honor Board
Colonizing Sister
Lamp of Knowledge (for a semester GPA of 4.0)
Director of Social Awareness
Big Sister

My dangles don't really have an order, though I was a colonizing sister before I was elected to honor board (though they happened in the same semester). The Lamp of Knowledge is in the middle, because it's the biggest one!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey_P-I_47 View Post
What do you mean by fraternity men getting to have Position 'pieces'. I thought officer dangles were a sort of widely accepted thing amongst everybody. I have seen several different GLOS that had officer dangles attached to their badge and guard. I guess it just depends on the organization or the chapter. If you want a gavel denoting that you were a President then I dont see who would really stop you if you were so inclined. Or am I way off and you were going along the lines of actual military type medals denoting position or what have you.
AOII doesn't have chapter guards or officer dangles, so I guess they're not that widely accepted.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
AOII doesn't have chapter guards or officer dangles, so I guess they're not that widely accepted.
Actually, AOII used to have officer charms. They were similar to the officer dangles other groups use but AOII does not allow anything attached to the badge so they would have to be on a charm bracelet. I am guessing they are no longer available because they were not selling or something along those lines.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, I purchased my officer dangles from our official jeweler. They had a chart of about 20-30 different ones. Our current official jeweler makes all the same available to us and anyone else, tho they do offer a couple of ones unique for my group (Section Chair and Regional Directors- gavel with an S and R respectively).

The change on my chapter guard is just too fine to attach the dangles in the links, they have to hangle loose on the chain. I'd live to somehow attach them to individual links, if only to give a little spacing to the 3 dangles I wear.
Section 71 Chair
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey_P-I_47 View Post
What do you mean by fraternity men getting to have Position 'pieces'. I thought officer dangles were a sort of widely accepted thing amongst everybody. I have seen several different GLOS that had officer dangles attached to their badge and guard. I guess it just depends on the organization or the chapter. If you want a gavel denoting that you were a President then I dont see who would really stop you if you were so inclined. Or am I way off and you were going along the lines of actual military type medals denoting position or what have you.
Well on our campus only the ladies use dangles. But that would be cool if Sigma Nu had specialized military style dangles...I haven't been president (Eminent Commander), I've just been Lieutenant Commander (VP) twice, Recorder (Secretary) once, Alumni Relations once, and Risk Reduction Chair once.

I haven't seen men's dangles on websites either...
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

:-(

I immediately went to grab my badge and see about securing my dangles, but I can't fit the rings they are on through the tiny links in the chain that attaches to the guard! Grrr...........
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalZTA View Post
I immediately went to grab my badge and see about securing my dangles, but I can't fit the rings they are on through the tiny links in the chain that attaches to the guard! Grrr...........
I took mine to a jeweler and they did it for free. So you might want to look into that
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDeltaGam View Post
I took mine to a jeweler and they did it for free. So you might want to look into that
What's the name of your jeweler? Mine wants $9.95 for EACH dangle, and I'm fairly certain that I could fly to Atlanta for what that would cost me!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
What's the name of your jeweler? Mine wants $9.95 for EACH dangle, and I'm fairly certain that I could fly to Atlanta for what that would cost me!
That's crazy! I just walked into one near my parents' house and they did it for me! It takes like 2 seconds...they hould not charge $10 a DANGLE!!

On second thought, are they charging you to sauder (or however you spell that) the dangles on? Mine are just on there, with the ring closed- if that makes sense...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

at my daughters initiation, her chapter sisters were all facinated with my badge(turquiose and pearls), the chapter guard and the officer dangles. her chapters does not wear the chapter guard so consequently does not have officer dangles and the majority of the girls order our plain silver badge. many of them asked if they could get a guard and how they could get one. when i mentioned it to their general advisor, she was surprised, because she is from the same chapter and did not realize that at some point during the years since she was a collegiate, the tradition to not have a chapter guard devoloped.

in the zta chapter of a good friends daughter, the pledge class all ordered the plain silver badge. when my friend asked her daughter why she chose the plain badge, she said that they were told they needed to fork over X amount of dollars for their badge-they didn't realize and they did not know that they could order anything they wanted-they were not given the option! they also were not told they could get a chapter guard. noone in her chapter wears the guard.

i had offered to purchase a chapter guard for my daughter as an initiation gift, but she declined, saying that noone in her chapter wore them, so she did not want one. she hopes to be chosen as a big sister, which would qualify her for a dangle, and i am hoping that she will decide she would like to have one and start a new trend in her chapter.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDeltaGam View Post

My badge with all the dangles

From left to right:
Honor Board
Colonizing Sister
Lamp of Knowledge (for a semester GPA of 4.0)
Director of Social Awareness
Big Sister

My dangles don't really have an order, though I was a colonizing sister before I was elected to honor board (though they happened in the same semester). The Lamp of Knowledge is in the middle, because it's the biggest one!

The light was reflecting off the Lamp, so all I could read is the Delta...so before I read the explination, I was thinking "Why does that DG badge have a DZ badge attached????"