GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,351
2 members and 2,349 guests
Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-05-2017, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello from California

Hi, I'm Dan and I live in California in the Sacramento area. My wife and I are both Greek alumni and met in at my fraternity's philanthropy event while we were in college (technically we knew each other before that but only by name). Our son just graduated from high school and we are enouraging him to give Greek Life a chance when he goes off to college this fall. I know a lot has changed since my days in school, but I hope fraternity life is something he might enjoy and build life-long bonds and memories from, just like me. Well, it was great meeting you all.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:39 PM

Welcome

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been an active member in numerous KD alumnae chapters. My kids were exposed to Greek Life since they were born. Neither went through rush or recruitment. When they went away to school (she went across country as a freshman, he went to Humboldt as a transfer student) I made the same rule for both of them. If they wanted to look into Greek Life I would back them to the ends of the Earth, if they did not partake of Greek Life, I wanted them to join SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to insure that they did not just sit in their dorm rooms and not experience what college life had to offer. She is my outgoing butterfly and joined several organizations that were religious based, he is my kid on the spectrum who was bullied all though school until he started the community college. He was involved in the housing council for the dorm, was an officer and had a wonderful experience. If they don't join Greek Life, so be it. But do encourage him to join something and become involved on campus in some way.

DaffyKD
Old 07-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
I have been an active member in numerous KD alumnae chapters. My kids were exposed to Greek Life since they were born. Neither went through rush or recruitment. When they went away to school (she went across country as a freshman, he went to Humboldt as a transfer student) I made the same rule for both of them. If they wanted to look into Greek Life I would back them to the ends of the Earth, if they did not partake of Greek Life, I wanted them to join SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to insure that they did not just sit in their dorm rooms and not experience what college life had to offer. She is my outgoing butterfly and joined several organizations that were religious based, he is my kid on the spectrum who was bullied all though school until he started the community college. He was involved in the housing council for the dorm, was an officer and had a wonderful experience. If they don't join Greek Life, so be it. But do encourage him to join something and become involved on campus in some way.

DaffyKD
Love the advice!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that is fantastic advice, thank you!

Based on some of the feedback I just want to clarify, we have no intention to force our kids to participate in Greek Life. Hope it didn't come off that way. I won't be disappointed in my son for not joining a fraternity. We just want him to cast any misconceptions aside, be open-minded and give it a good look. The same goes for any other club or opportunity, don't just reject it because you don't think you'll like it or your buddies say so.

We have been trying to drive the point with him that college is all about expanding your horizons, trying new things and learning both inside and outside of the classroom. My son in particular has pretty narrow worldview right now with very specific interests and people who he spends time with. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do think college is a great opportunity to grow and really become the adult he will be, even if he circles back to where he is now. As long as he gets out of his comfort zone and gives things a try.

Likewise, I am thankful that there is a range of people on this site, from those currently in school to fellow parents who have been through what I'm experiencing. I look forward to hearing from both sides and sharing my own thoughts as well.