GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,809
2 members and 1,807 guests
nataliecavsoz41, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 11-22-2000, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What would you do if your daughter....

Happy Thanksgiving Sorors and Sisterfriends! I recently talked to my line sister, and as we relived our pledging experience from six years ago, she told me that her mother had JUST gotten over her pledging AKA (her mom is a Delta). So, my question is, what would you sorors do if, in the future, your daughter wanted to pledge something other than AKA?
Old 11-23-2000, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I think about this all the time, Sorors. My mother is a Zeta, (active member for 48 years).Growing up all I knew was ZPB,when I told her I wanted to be an AKA she replied that we all had to be what we wanted. She did ask why and we talked about it at length. My mom never tried to convince me to change my mind, if she had perhaps .........

My favorite niece, whom I have groomed for AKA decided to pledge ZPB last year. Lawd, was I hurt. She told me about the AKA chapter on her campus and how she didn't see herself fitting in, well deja vue. I told her we all have to be what we want too. (My Moms words coming back to haunt me)

I'm keeping legacy articles and photos to share with my daughter. I know she'll make her own decision but I'm going to be hoping and praying she chooses AKA. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2000, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Red face

I'd be happy with whatever she chose as long as she has done her research and sincerely feels that's her best choice. That includes AKA. Of course I want her to be my soror, but I don't want her to be an AKA just because "mommy is an AKA" (all of you "As the Sands Burn" fans can relate - the "Mona" syndrome).

But, I do have to throw this out there in jest - I almost fainted when she Ooooped under the influence of a "renegade" DST cousin... whew. But, I still have 13 more years to get over that one.

Happy Thanksgiving Day and take care everyone!!

[This message has been edited by tickledpink (edited November 23, 2000).]
Old 11-23-2000, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Since I don't have any children, yet; but I do have two nieces. I hope that they, including my daughter, if I am blessed to have one, will CHOOSE THE ONLY WAY! THE ONLY WAY I KNEW AND MY MOTHER KNEW TO GO!

But, if they choose to SETTLE, then that will be okay, also.

LOL

***shaking my head AND holding my heart while pondering at the notion***

LOL

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited November 23, 2000).]
Old 11-24-2000, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

**LOL at Soror AKA2D**

Soror, I feel the same way you do. I don't have any children, but I do have two nieces. I, too, hope they will choose the BEST WAY TO GO!

However, I will be honest. If I had a daughter and she said she wanted to pledge something other than AKA, I would be disappointed but I would support her. It wouldn't be the biggest mistake she could make, but it would rank in the top five.

[This message has been edited by AKAtude (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old 11-24-2000, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I like that, too... among THE TOP 5!

Yes ma'am, you are so CORRECT!
Old 11-24-2000, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

My folks said that I can "go" anyway I wanted to, but they are only payin' for "ONE"...

Then, I really wasn't interested in any other organization because there were only 2 at my school, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Although, I had numerous Delta friends, I will always cherish the fact that I chose to go the AKA-way.

Moreover, I'm a huge legacy and during family gatherings, I would've caught HELL if I decided to "go" another way... NO, it's not like I couldn't stand up to the potential "pressure" for makin' my own decisions--It's more like I enjoyed becoming a part of my "PHAMILY'S" traditions... My Great-grand parents, grandparents AND parents worked too hard so I could enjoy the fruits of their labor. It's called HERITAGE... And, why blast it all away for a brief encounter during college when we are suppose to be making a "lifetime" commitment?

Now, it's my turn to help future generations prosper and maintaining the "conservative" sustaining traditions held so dear to my phamily... Why do you think the Rockafellers, Duponts and Kennedys will always be at the top??? It's time that we, black folk start fostering our "phamily" treasure...

(sorry for the length--got alot on my mind)
Old 11-27-2000, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i would be dissappointed if my daughter didn't see the beauty and splender and downright priviledge of being an AKA woman i would hope that she would have the same high standards as i do and after years of seeing mommy do work and bond in sisterhood with the sorors that she would want to share in that bond, and continue the tradition of excellence. many times children of legacies know they have an interest in one or another organization if they are exposed at a young age, so hopefully my daughter will be impressed by the quality of the women and the amount of service that my sorority has to offer. if not its her loss, but i'll still leave her something in the will, lol.
Old 11-27-2000, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PositivelyAKA:
hopefully my daughter will be impressed by the quality of the women and the amount of service that my sorority has to offer. if not its her loss, but i'll still leave her something in the will, lol.
I GUESS...

Old 11-28-2000, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet:
My folks said that I can "go" anyway I wanted to, but they are only payin' for "ONE"...
Wow, your parents paid? *lol* I wish I could be as lucky! If I were to make it, I wouldn't even think of asking my folks. I guess it has something to do with there being NO greeks in our family.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Parent's not paying? lol...
Shoot, my mother gladly paid for me! If i had to do it myself, I would be Me Phi Me...lol
Old 11-29-2000, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

well..."since my money is green, that's all i'm paying for"-Soror Yvonne, my mom! i'm going to expose her to Spelman (that better be the only blue and white she wears hoping she'll go there or another HBCU. and hopefully she'll see the love i have for AKA will love it the way i did growing up. if my child goes another way, i'll try and suck it up. notice i said try...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings to the beautiful ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. If you don't mind me intruding to gain some knowledge on a subject. My sister is an AKA and has two daughters ages 4 and 6. Last week I had my nieces stay over and I took them out with me and some Greek friends. When they saw two of your sorors they immediately began to skee-wee their hearts out . It happens that my sister taught them that and a cute chant. Your sorors thought it was cute, but my other friends said that it was inappropriate . It's not the first time I've seen this happen, as a matter of fact it's common to see little girls imitating their mothers calls, strolls, etc. Do you think it's wrong to prejudice a child to a particular fraternity/sorority? Or do you believe if you “bring up a child in the right way they will not depart”? I plan to put my sons on line at the age of 3...lol!

Compliments of marquise 1911
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Greetings to the beautiful ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. If you don't mind me intruding to gain some knowledge on a subject. My sister is an AKA and has two daughters ages 4 and 6. Last week I had my nieces stay over and I took them out with me and some Greek friends. When they saw two of your sorors they immediately began to skee-wee their hearts out . It happens that my sister taught them that and a cute chant. Your sorors thought it was cute, but my other friends said that it was inappropriate . It's not the first time I've seen this happen, as a matter of fact it's common to see little girls imitating their mothers calls, strolls, etc. Do you think it's wrong to prejudice a child to a particular fraternity/sorority? Or do you believe if you “bring up a child in the right way they will not depart”? I plan to put my sons on line at the age of 3...lol!

Compliments of marquise 1911

I know folks that have their little children (<7 years old) doing all the "cutesy stuff", but once they get into the higher grades, such as 5th+ grade, SOME parents make the kids stop. But then, I have also heard about the little kids arguing over who's better between different GLO's--and it's worse than those in the organization...

So, I do think at some level it's cute, like the little T-shirts and stuff. But at another level, like chants, calls, and all that other stuff, is irrelevant, over the top and uncalled for and may need some "intervention"...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana