GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,226
1 members and 1,225 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions about recommendations

Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone might know how letters of recommendation work? I have a friend who's going through recruitment at her school and wants to get rec letters for Phi Sigma Sigma, but neither of us know any alumna. Is it frowned upon to ask for one on here? And if it is, can anyone tell us the proper way to go about finding someone to write a rec letter? She got one for another sorority that had an online form; does Phi Sigma Sigma have something like that?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Not a Phi Sig, so I can't answer that part, but in general it is considered poor form to request recs on GC. Contact people you know to see if they are a Phi Sig, or if they know someone who is. See if there's a Alumnae Panhellenic group in your area--they will know Phi Sig alums. Read through GC, there is so much info on recs here.

Is your friend only getting recs for two sororities, or are there only two sororities at her school? If the former--she should get recs for ALL the sororities at her school. If the latter--for a lot (but not all) schools that small, recs may not be necessary.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It is something that regular readers here might take out of context. There are schools where they are really really required, but there are PLENTY of schools where they most definitely are not. As a rule of thumb (although I'm sure there are exceptions) if there are 5 or fewer NPC sororities on campus, it's probably not that critical. Also, the further north and east you go, the less likely they are that important. Or stated another way, the less a school resembles an SEC school, the less important the recs will become.

Before you knock your head against a tree, you might find out how important they are for your school. If they ARE, then you need to kick it into high gear to find someone.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM1995 View Post
Hi everyone- I was wondering if anyone might know how letters of recommendation work? I have a friend who's going through recruitment at her school and wants to get rec letters for Phi Sigma Sigma, but neither of us know any alumna. Is it frowned upon to ask for one on here? And if it is, can anyone tell us the proper way to go about finding someone to write a rec letter? She got one for another sorority that had an online form; does Phi Sigma Sigma have something like that?

Thanks so much!
If you are saying that she filled out an online form HERSELF for a group, that is a HUGE no no. Those forms are to be filled out by sorority members/alumnae ONLY.

Last edited by irishpipes; 07-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
If you are saying that she filled out an oline form HERSELF for a group, that is a HUGE no no. Those forms are to be filled out by sorority members/alumnae ONLY.
This is how I read it, and thought

@~/~~~~
Old 07-15-2013, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't catch that. I agree
Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, no! A family friend filled one out for her online, she didn't do one for herself! I'd imagine that being immensely awkward haha

There are 3 chapters at her school, and she got a rec for one so she only needs two more. She just couldn't figure out Phi Sig, because neither of us know any Phi Sig alumnae and it seems like you have to be a member to see where alumna chapters are located. I'll look for an Alumnae Panhellenic group though, thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Much better answer. You can find the list of chapters, including alumnae chapters, on their website. It's there, but it took a little digging.