GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,608
1 members and 1,607 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys. I was wondering what questions I should ask the sisters during the parties. In the beginning, I was worried that if I ask about finances, I might get cut of something. But now I understand. Thanks again, guys.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhibiscus View Post
Thanks guys. I was wondering what questions I should ask the sisters during the parties. In the beginning, I was worried that if I ask about finances, I might get cut of something. But now I understand. Thanks again, guys.
When you ask about finances (although, I would hold off until after the treasurer does her presentation), it doesn't hurt to mention that either you have a part-time job that will help you cover your dues, or if mommy & daddy are paying "I'm so glad that my parents support my joining a sorority" (I would use "support" instead of "are paying for"). Honestly, there are groups out there that will cut girls if they think they won't be able to pay for dues. It does them no good to offer a girl a spot, and then have her drop because she realizes that she can't afford it.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I ditto that, Alpha Frog. Nothing turns a rusher off more than to hear a rushee ask lots of questions about money. In the south, it's often considered rude to bring up money in polite conversation. Though we've had many an argument about archaic ideas of good manners, lots of questions about money makes people think that you have a money problem. No one wants to ask a girl to join just to have to beg her to pay dues later. Know before you go into rush how much it will cost on your campus. Panhellenic should have those figures. Automatically expect to pay a bit more for extras....that being said, these things are EXTRA...if you can't afford it, don't buy it!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Automatically expect to pay a bit more for extras....that being said, these things are EXTRA...if you can't afford it, don't buy it!
Nothing kills me more than a girl with 50 sewn letter shirts, 3 totebags, etc who can't pay her dues.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I didn't think asking about finances would be appropriate during rush until they told us. I'm just wondering, do we have to pay extra for all of our shirts and stuff we get, or are they included in the dues you pay? Or is it different for every sorority?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I think most chapters would have t-shirts as extras. Dues are already high enough paying for national fees, parlor fees, panhellenic fees, etc. Parties and shirts are usually in addition to dues. If a chapter has them included in dues, I'd expect their dues to be significantly higher than those who don't have these items included.

AOII

Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

...Really? We pay about 260/semester and all our Tshirts are included, as well as everything else.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...that's really nice! Our dues were a little higher, I think, but we had to buy all of our t-shirts. In a way I like it that way...if I didn't like a shirt, I didn't buy it. If it's included in dues then you are obligated to buy. Anyway, all of the chapters on campus ran that way. Is your chapter different than the other groups on campus or is that the norm for you area?

AOII

Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I ditto that, Alpha Frog. Nothing turns a rusher off more than to hear a rushee ask lots of questions about money. In the south, it's often considered rude to bring up money in polite conversation. Though we've had many an argument about archaic ideas of good manners, lots of questions about money makes people think that you have a money problem. No one wants to ask a girl to join just to have to beg her to pay dues later. Know before you go into rush how much it will cost on your campus. Panhellenic should have those figures. Automatically expect to pay a bit more for extras....that being said, these things are EXTRA...if you can't afford it, don't buy it!
What good is it to get a new girl who has to drop because she can't afford it and didn't know? I think it's pretty bad if she can't ask how much dues are a semester and are extras included...that's one pretty basic question. Panhellenic figures are not guaranteed to be updated and accurate at all times.

That IS archaic if she can't ask that much without being cut. I'm very much southern myself but do not see the offense in asking a very important question like that.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 AM

I always thought that (per an NPC rule), sororities had to disclose money info during recruitment (even if it's just a ballpark figure in the recruitment book).

At my alma mater, during Day 2 of Recruitment we all were required give the PNMs brochures/pamphlets with all of our financial info in them, including the following:

*Dues (local/national)
*New member fees
*Initiation/Badge fees
*Parlor fees
*Room/Board fees
*Whether socials were included (if not, how much out of pocket)
*Fine information (whether the chapter fines & what for)

In addition, each chapter's Treasurer did a short (3-5 min) presentation about the stuff in the pamphlet and about whether the chapter offered scholarships or payment plans.

Yeah, we got some girls with a little "sticker shock" since we have to include alot of figures. But at least all of the info was out there and they could take it home, look it over, and think about whether they can afford it. That way, girls could see everything they'll have to pay in black & white, and there'd be no surprises after they got bids.

Of course we're in northern OH, so I'm sure our money discussion etiquette is different, but I think it made for FEWER money questions during rush because anything you needed to know was on the paper.

I think this might be a good practice for some of the more competitive schools.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-07-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I always thought that (per an NPC rule), sororities had to disclose money info during recruitment (even if it's just a ballpark figure in the recruitment book).

At my alma mater, during Day 2 of Recruitment we all were required give the PNMs brochures/pamphlets with all of our financial info in them, including the following:

*Dues (local/national)
*New member fees
*Initiation/Badge fees
*Parlor fees
*Room/Board fees
*Whether socials were included (if not, how much out of pocket)
*Fine information (whether the chapter fines & what for)

In addition, each chapter's Treasurer did a short (3-5 min) presentation about the stuff in the pamphlet and about whether the chapter offered scholarships or payment plans.

Yeah, we got some girls with a little "sticker shock" since we have to include alot of figures. But at least all of the info was out there and they could take it home, look it over, and think about whether they can afford it. That way, girls could see everything they'll have to pay in black & white, and there'd be no surprises after they got bids.

Of course we're in nortern OH, so I'm sure our money discussion etiquette is differnent, but I think it made for FEWER money questions during rish because anything you needed to know was on the paper.

I think this might be a good practice for some of the more competitive schools.
It probably is a rule, but maybe it doesn't have to be presented so explicitly. Here I am not sure if we HAVE to include it or not, but every sorority had the cost of dues and initiation fees on a tri fold board or something during Philanthropy or Theme night. Most PNMs probably get to see these figures. I did, but I was looking closely at everything. Some people might become nervous and not notice all small detail. If PNMs ask at our school we tell them. I haven't HEARD of anyone getting cut because they asked about finances. All I know for sure is that my chapter hasn't done that since I've been here. I doubt any of the five would cut a girl for asking, though. (Then again, the range for dues is from $250 to around $400 a semester, so many girls can afford it if they have a job. They just might not be able to buy t-shirts or something.)

I think they way y'all do it is a great idea. I don't really see ettiquette as an excuse, personally. I love being southern but by no means do I think that "southerness" shouldn't move to keep up with the times. Of course it does a chapter no good to pledge a girl who will never be able to keep up with her dues, but on the other hand assuming that she won't be able to based on questions about finances is very short sighted! I guess that's one of the downfalls of NPC Recruitment.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean that they shouldn't ask about money at all. Of course they should if they have concerns. But they shouldn't ask EVERY sister they talk to, or question after question about it.

If the sorority hasn't mentioned it by the party BEFORE prefs (you don't really want to discuss $$ at prefs, it kinda ruins it), then ask about it. Good way to phrase the question: "How much would you say your average dues are for a new member, and what all does that cover?" AND if you need to, you can follow that up with: "Does your treasurer have a payment plan?". But, then leave it at that. Don't go on and on about how payments are broken up, and what extras there are (because extras are EXTRAS), and what if I can't pay this semester, etc.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I didn't mean that they shouldn't ask about money at all. Of course they should if they have concerns. But they shouldn't ask EVERY sister they talk to, or question after question about it.

If the sorority hasn't mentioned it by the party BEFORE prefs (you don't really want to discuss $$ at prefs, it kinda ruins it), then ask about it. Good way to phrase the question: "How much would you say your average dues are for a new member, and what all does that cover?" AND if you need to, you can follow that up with: "Does your treasurer have a payment plan?". But, then leave it at that. Don't go on and on about how payments are broken up, and what extras there are (because extras are EXTRAS), and what if I can't pay this semester, etc.
I didn't say ask a lot of questions either and provided a very similar example to yours. I don't think ettiquette should eliminate such an important question.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Notice I did say LOTS of questions. The occasional well worded question about finances is not a problem, but like other people have mentioned, if you ask every sister who rushes you a question about money, at the meeting that night, you may be remembered as the girl who won't be able to afford dues. This may not be correct, but it's an assumption I'm sure a lot of people will make when cuts are made for less!

AOII

Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
Lemme start off by saying that you should be asking lots of questions!! Not much is worse than a shy questionless PNM. Be sure to inquire about the philanthropy, dues, activies, socials, formal, homecoming/greek week, that kind of stuff.

Also be interested in the sister you are speaking with. Get to know her, just like she is getting to know you. ask why she decided to join her sorority, and what she likes most about it. Ask if she holds any positions or if she lives in the house.There are a million things you could ask, but for you own sake, dont ask things that should be private or personal, or the 4 B's: boys, booze, bars, bible.

hope that helped!
Is it okay if I ask a question that might be stepping over the line, such as:

Interviewer: Why did you want to join ABC sorority?

Me: I see a lot of potential for leadership opportunities in philanthropy and other areas.

Interviewer: Give an example of the other areas where you see leadership opportunities

Me: Well, when I rushed last year, I met a lot of girls who mentioned that they were Christian or Catholic, and as a member of Intervarsity (A christian group on campus), I was hoping that, if I have enough support, I could start a Bible study with the girls. I also see this as a potential opportunity to create an even tighter bond within the sisterhood