GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,388
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, samuelptrovz463

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Interested in Joining a Sorority

Hello,
I'm a freshman this year and have become very intrested in joing a sorority (one of the divine nine specifically). I have one particular sorority in mind, but don't know when the "rush/call out meeting is", and I'm not sure how to go about approaching the organization for information. Can anyone help?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

try looking at your school's website for information or try looking for a chapter website for the sorority you are interested in.

remember to keep your mind open,though. you never know where you will find your true home!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiAlphaGammaFM View Post
try looking at your school's website for information or try looking for a chapter website for the sorority you are interested in.

remember to keep your mind open,though. you never know where you will find your true home!
This person is talking about an NPHC sorority.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

For the GCers who do not know:

Divine Nine = NPHC

Delta Sigma Theta, Omega Psi Phi, Alpha Phi Alpha, Iota Phi Theta, Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Kappa Alpha Psi, and Alpha Kappa Alpha = NPHC

NPHC = not the same as NPC and NIC

NPHC rush = not the same as NPC and NIC rush except for the few chapters of NPHC orgs that choose to participate in NPC and NIC rush

The real answer to the question is the OP will know when she is supposed to know. Research, attend programs, and meet people. The rest either will or will not fall in place. This is how life worked before people started coming to the Internet for everything.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-14-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I forgot Krappa
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It can never hurt to look at all options, though. I limited myself to rushing the only sorority on campus, despite it being a horrible fit for me. Had I kept an open mind and heart I would have considered other options before pledging. Instead, I dropped out and did my homework and am now in the process of building my organization.

I understand she wants to be a part of something already established and all the D9 sororities are great! but she did mention having specific interest in one org before having met any of the ladies, and I am just encouraging her to look at all her options, not trying to give a comment on rush styles.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It can never hurt to look at all options, though. I limited myself to rushing the only sorority on campus, despite it being a horrible fit for me. Had I kept an open mind and heart I would have considered other options before pledging. Instead, I dropped out and did my homework and am now in the process of building my organization.

I understand she wants to be a part of something already established and all the D9 sororities are great! but she did mention having specific interest in one org before having met any of the ladies, and I am just encouraging her to look at all her options, not trying to give a comment on rush styles.
No, no, no, no, no.

When rushing/joining an NPHC group, you are supposed to "know where your heart is" before attending rush events. Looking at all the groups publicly and telling them you aren't sure where you want to join is taboo. It will result in your not being invited to join ANY sorority.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I limited myself to rushing the only sorority on campus, despite it being a horrible fit for me. Instead, I dropped out and did my homework and am now in the process of building my organization.
LOL.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, no, no, no, no.

When rushing/joining an NPHC group, you are supposed to "know where your heart is" before attending rush events. Looking at all the groups publicly and telling them you aren't sure where you want to join is taboo. It will result in your not being invited to join ANY sorority.
Wellllllllll, that depends on who, what, when, where, and how. People should go based on what their research and campus culture tells them. Some NPHC aspirants get info from NPHCers who pledged 20-60 years ago and that advice (e.g., people being a pledge for one NPHC org, dropping line, and then pledging and accepting a different NPHC org wasn't rare and frowned upon years ago) may not apply.

The OP's research should be what led her to the NPHC sorority that she wants. That research includes but is not limited to attending that chapter's programs. I knew what sorority I wanted before I got my college acceptance letter. Many NPHC aspirants don't know that early.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The OP's research should be what led her to the NPHC sorority that she wants. That research includes but is not limited to attending that chapter's programs.
But isn't a program (I assume you mean an event of a philanthropic nature) different from a rush event?

In other words, if PQR is sponsoring a blood drive, it's OK to go and give a pint without everyone automatically assuming you want to join PQR. It's also a good chance to meet and talk to some PQR sisters. But if PQR holds a rush event and you attend it, you are pretty much proclaiming what your desire is. Am I right?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Although if you were to consistently attend PQR events and no other events that would be a pretty clear indication of where your interest was?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
But isn't a program (I assume you mean an event of a philanthropic nature) different from a rush event? In other words, if PQR is sponsoring a blood drive, it's OK to go and give a pint without everyone automatically assuming you want to join PQR. It's also a good chance to meet and talk to some PQR sisters.
We want everyone to attend our programs.

Aspirants are especially encouraged/expected to attend programs. We can usually tell which attendees are aspirants and which attendees are just attending programs to be supportive. People often want us to know that they are researching sororities/fraternities as though we are going to try to convince them to choose us (LOL); and those who have already made their decision often want us to notice them.

Quote:
But if PQR holds a rush event and you attend it, you are pretty much proclaiming what your desire is. Am I right?
Depending on the chapter and the semester, not everyone who attends an official informational/interest meeting/rush will leave with an application. Depending on the chapter and the semester, there are people who want to learn more but will never apply for membership.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

If you look around on your campus there should be some post about rush week.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslove_15 View Post
If you look around on your campus there should be some post about rush week.
Did you not read any of the previous posts in this thread?

A week of high school juniors and seniors acting like fools because vacation is coming up and now posts like this. Wow. my brain hurts.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Your lane is over there --------------->