GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,116
0 members and 2,116 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2002, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Oh, and they are Lutheran fraternities
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I was just reading through old threads and I'm disheartened to see my sorority displayed in such a negative and false light. I'm in the chapter that MaggieAXiD is talking about being the "Christian" sorority, and I was one of the 17 women who joined AXO that year. The reason we had such a hard time recruiting is that Alpha Chi just came to campus that fall and were the only sorority without a house. Also, they were brand new, and a lot of girls wanted houses with local traditions. And all the talk about Alpha Chi talking about God and Jesus all the time is completely false. Only two of the new members that year were members of IV (the Christian org. on campus), and nothing in recruitment is religious at all. If anyone did say anything about religion, it was just one person. No one I talked to ever heard anything like that.

Sorry, I know a lot of this is irrelevant, but I just hate to see my chapter talked about when the claims are false! Alpha Chi has done so well at Elon, COBing up to quota in 2002 and getting quota plus during formal recruitment in 2003. We've won Homecoming and Pumpkinfest.

So I guess the moral of the story is don't talk bad about other organizations... how about a little Panhellenic spirit here?

::ff my soapbox:::
Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PurdueGirlie
We have Phi Beta Chi at Purdue and it is a Lutheran based sorority as someone mentioned earlier. But, unlike her, I haven't had many bad experiences with them.
My sister is a charter member of Phi Beta Chi at Iowa State. I think it has changed since she was there (but don't all GLOS). The girls are nice, usually quiet and usually very involved with the church, but being Lutheran is not a requisite (nor is being Christian, but I'd think for the comfortablity factor, it helps). It is a small group, they don't have a chapter house and have their own informal recruitment but they do participate in all Greek events (Homecoming, VEISHEA, Greek Week, etc) usually paired with another sorority. All their ritual is open and my sister coudn't quite understand why our other sister and myself couldn't share ours (well, she could, she just wanted to get us to tell her.)
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Maybe this is because that Not All Fraternity/Soroity are founded upon Christen Ideals of what ever. A lot has changed over the Years, Triangle, KGR or what ever! Remember the White or Black Clauses back when!

Were there Greek Organizations that evolved because of certain times and situations, of course, but what if a Totally Not integrated Greek Organization are available Today? I am talking of Course National Organizatiosn of today, not a local.

Yes, there is a big Difference.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
My Sorority was founded as a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian Sorority and we were the first and the first at my school. All the sororites and fraternities say they are Christian because it is a Christian school but few uphold the standards. In my sorority, there is no drinking or smoking allowed. If anydoes go to a bar or a party they are to never wear their letters.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 AM
ADPiZXalum

Baylor has 2 frats (Phi Kappa Chi and Beta Upsilon Chi) and two sororities (Sigma Phi Lambda and Kappa Chi Alpha). Phi Kappa Chi does rush around the same time as IFC but it's seperate. BUCs do a seperate rush. KXA and Phi Lamb both have their own seperate rushes. Phi Lamb I believe was started at UT and have 5 or 6 chapter over the state of Texas. I also believe you can be in a NPC sorority AND Phi Lamb where as you can't do that with KXA. Being that Baylor is a Christian university, these groups tend to do pretty well.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kkg christen
We have an all Christian Fraternity -- BYX (Brothers Under Christ) and then an all Christian Sorority - HIS (He is sufficient)
They are small... and local... though BYX is apparently expanding. I don't know much about them myself.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

At Elon we have a non-NPC sorority, Sigma Alpha Omega. They have recruitment fall and spring, but not with NPC. Members of SAO can also be members of NPC sororities. They are small but very active. I think there are 5 chapters of SAO around VA and NC.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

i'm writing in response to the post about the elon NPC sorority that was deemed the "christian sorority." alpha chi omega is not a christian sorority, but we do have one on elon's campus, it is sigma alpha omega. they do not participate in NPC recruitment, while alpha chi omega does participate. alpha chi omega does not punish their members for participating in religious activities, in fact, they support it. we do not read bible verses in our rounds of recruitment, however, some sisters are very religious. some of our founding sisters are jewish, and obviously they wouldn't be here if we were a christian sorority.
also, as i was a founding sister, i can verify that we were not struggling to maintain 55 sisters. we founded with 87 sisters in the fall of 2001, and yes, we did have a difficult year with recruitment, but we COB'd and we made quota by the next fall. the next year we had an awesome recruitment and we got amazing women...and met quota plus...
before you post anything about other organizations please make sure you have the correct facts, because it hurts us to see our organization portrayed in such a negative light. seeing as how we are both from elon, you should understand that NPC is trying to attain panhellenic spirit amongst all of the GLO's.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

ALong the lines of Xylochick and elonlinds (2 outstanding members of my chapter, one of whom is my big ), i would like to reiterate the complete lack of fact that is surrounding our stereotype as a "christian" sorority. yes, we have girls that attend christian fellowship and are actively religious, but in no way does this mean that we consider ourselves the "christian" sorority. that title, for those of you who are unaware, is held by sigma alpha omega (see above posts). to go along with what both of my sisters have said concerning this topic, i think there is much to be considered before labeling us as the christian sorority. p.s. yes we founded with 87 sisters, and i am a proud member of last year's new member class which made well over quota. which is more than can be said for other, unnamed organizations on our campus. i could go on and on about various aspects of other orgs., some of which aren't nearly as endearing as being "christian", but since i wish to keep the panhellenic spirit, i won't be doing that.

thanks and have a great night. and to the iota psi girls here: WFR
Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Well said ladies. While I am not a member of AX from that particular chapter I'd just like to offer my moral support.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Takeshi Send a message via Yahoo to Takeshi
Our school has a local Christian fraternity called Lambda Sigma Phi. They have accomplished a lot in the past couple of years. Go to http://www.lambdasigmaphi.com to find out more about them.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216

Sorry, I know a lot of this is irrelevant, but I just hate to see my chapter talked about when the claims are false! Alpha Chi has done so well at Elon, COBing up to quota in 2002 and getting quota plus during formal recruitment in 2003. We've won Homecoming and Pumpkinfest.

I wish you good luck!! Thats awesome you're doing well this year!

LITB!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb HM!

Well, if anyone remembers Historys of GLOS, some were started with Religious or Ethnic back gounds such as AEP, SAM, AGRO, Triangle Etal. But, have things not changed over the years?

What is to say that over the EONS of GreekDom that this will not happen to each of the "New" Groups of Greek Organizatins.

What an Organization is, it is composed of People! What do People want to do? Associate with people not Just Like Them or beleifs, but the same Nature of Suzie or Tom is Nice, i think I want to be with them. Then evolves a change of what the total mixture is. Why? Well, maybe it is a change in the Mores" of what the individual Chapter feels is necessary to keep growing or Die!

History is Old, but it keeps repeating itself!

Will Multi Culture Groups Be The Wave of the Future or is it the fact that other GLOS have come to encompuss the person first!?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-17-2004, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

AX/SAO at Elon

As we are all in this greek boat together, one would hope that a forum like this would be used to facilitate understanding and unity among greeks in this country. Having said that, please make sure you really know what you are talking about before you make a comment about another organization. I am a member of both AX at Elon and Sigma Alpha Omega, the Christian sorority. I want to thank those of my sisters who have spoken up and supported both of these organizations. Alpha Chi Omega is everything my sisters have said it is and more. Sigma Alpha Omega is a local Christian sorority and on Elon's campus you may belong to SAO and a NPC org. However, it is not so with the other five chapters of this thriving new organization. The Alpha chapter of SAO is actively pursuing national recognition. Please feel free to visit the gamma chapter's website to get the right information, straight from the sisters. http://www.elon.edu/org/sao