GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,562
3 members and 1,559 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom, there are many resources available for assistance for people in your circumstances. Frankly I'm surprised the hospital didn't send a social worker in to meet with you prior to discharge. Do you have a local "aging agency" where you are? You should have one. I know you are in Kansas City but is it MO or KS? ETA DUH! You're in Kansas. SORRY my bad. I did a quick search and got several hits for that geographical area. If you need me to do more searching and post links, let me know.

Here in AZ there are "area councils on aging" that provide incredible, comprehensive services to seniors (meal assistance, rides to doctors, help with household needs, help with shopping, etc). And yes, Medicare is also a good source of support because it hasn't been decimated - yet. It's not an entitlement! You paid into it while employed, so take advantage of services.

Check MealsOnWheelsAmerica.org (didn't post a hyperlink, you have to type it into your browser bar. The service is still operating although it's taken a hit under the current regime. Do you have a connection with a church? That's another place for help.

Someone from Medicare/your health insurance plan can come in and do a risk assessment of your home. You also would benefit from having visits to be sure you're getting adequate nutrition, medication, etc.

As a person who insists on aging in place both for myself and for others, I've learned to be proactive and take advantage of resources as well as reach out for help. It sure beats the alternative.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 03-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

We are all Greeks for life, and that means we value community and supporting one another. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice -- we all support you, Tom, and hope you will find whatever services are available to help you through the rough patches.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought of something more. Does Lambda Chi have a local alumnae group? Is there anyone here on GC that is somewhat local who can get the ball rolling for Tom? I ask b/c he mentioned a head injury and brain surgery as well as hospitalization. He may be having difficulty with cognitive tasks.

I can do some things remotely. However my sense is that Tom needs in-home visits, stat. The danger of head injury/ies is that once you have one, your likelihood of having another increases. That's a fact. And falls are the leading cause of injury and death in older humans. Home visits and assessments by knowledgeable, trained health personnel are a priority.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-14-2019, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Will be dropping short post for updates!!

Short term memory loss is still a problem. Hope gets better soon!!!

Getting set up for Home Health care folks, so far, 5 in 4 days.

Physically, slow in coming around but hope gets better sooner than later!!!!!!

Trying to do at least one major thing each day so get things done. Resting in between!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope you are feeling better each day. Falling is scary, especially if you can't get back up. I live in fear (not actually) of falling and needing to call the fire dept. to pick me up.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Still plugging along day by day. Getting up in morning am wobbly on feet so being very careful!!!

Fixing easy type food, LOL! Micro wave of course. Just making sure I do not burn stuff on stove top.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm actually surprised that the hospital didn't assign you a social worker, Tom. Maybe that's where you can get the ball rolling?
Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a Home Care group that has been here a lot. Starting next week, will get two visits a week for a while. Glad it is covered by Medicare!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-16-2019, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That's really good news, Tom. I am so glad to hear that you will have some home helpers to give you a hand.

True and Constant
Old 03-16-2019, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

We all pay into Medicare, and I’ve never had a complaint yet about what it has offered me when I needed it. Tom, I’m so happy it’s coming through for you as well! It’s a comfort knowing somebody will be there—it will allow you to continue resting up to get your mojo back. It’s good to hear you are up and about!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Tom, sorry to hear about this ordeal you're going through. I hope you're feeling better and get well soon!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all!
Having some Temp. home care folks coming out and trying to get time set up for visits.
Will be temp for a while until getting better. Then on my own!! I am finding it ain't easy, but, I will get it done!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Still getting Home Health care visits.

Still trying to snow them so I can be left alone!!!

But, over all still moving slow! It Sucks if you do not get upset!

Some of them I told me I should not be driving! Well, I got a 5 Speed Honda and have to get rubber on the road! Vet visits and other stuff! CT,MRI, X-Ray, Oh lest the Bone Cracker and Grocers like the Bank, Liquor Store and ECT!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Stay patient and safe.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Don't overdo things.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma