GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,486
5 members and 2,481 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek

Old 09-28-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

250 exposed to meningitis at Ind. State ATO party

Students flock to ISU Health Center: University treats about 250 students who may have been exposed to meningitis

By Sue Loughlin/Tribune-Star
An Indiana University freshman from Terre Haute who was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis was listed in critical condition at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis on Tuesday afternoon, a hospital spokesman said.
Meanwhile, both Indiana State and Indiana universities continued providing preventive treatment to students who might have come in contact with the woman and may be at some risk of contracting the disease.
Both universities notified their campuses Monday about the potential health concern after they became aware of the student's illness.
The 18-year-old woman attended a party Friday night in Terre Haute at the ISU Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house, and about 200 people attended, including members of five ISU fraternities and sororities, ISU officials reported.

After ISU learned of the situation Monday morning, the Student Health Center used a guest list from the ATO party to contact students who may have been exposed.
"Only those who were at the social function need preventive treatment. No one else needs treatment," ISU officials said in a news release.
On Monday, the ISU Health Center remained open until at least 7 p.m. to give the preventive treatment to about 250 students who had attended the party, ISU officials said.
The students received one Cipro pill, an antibiotic, said Fran Drake, Health Center director. Others students seeking preventive treatment went to the Health Center on Tuesday, but in much smaller numbers.
Representatives of the Vigo County Health Department went to ISU and assisted health center staff in treating students, said Joni Foulkes, the department's health educator.

At one point the health center ran out of the antibiotic and had to buy more, Drake said.
Some students may have sought treatment at area hospitals or health clinics, Drake said. The health center also received calls from concerned parents as well as ISU students who didn't attend the party but wanted more information.
"Most people were very calm," Drake said, but some students were upset. "We've tried to put them at ease."
On Monday evening, Indiana University Health Center staff met with students at Briscoe Quadrangle, the residence hall of the critically ill student.
A team discussed symptoms and risks of infection and dispensed Cipro to those who believed they were at risk.

About 150 students showed up at the residence hall to learn more about the disease, and about 82 of them elected to take Cipro as a precaution, said Hugh Jessop, IU Health Center director. "Others realized they were not at risk," he said.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not familiar with meningitis, but why were those who attended the social function the only ones at risk? Why wouldn't people she conversed with on a daily basis. I'm sure she showered in public showers, ate at the cafeteria, attended classes with a lot of different students. I'm not sure why the social function was the thing that was the cinderblock.

Any med. students out there to help me out on this?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Good reason to have guest lists.

KLTC
Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a med student, but I had bacterial meningitis when I was 13. Luckily, my mom was very in tune with my symptoms and got me to ER early enough for me to get quick treatment and suffer no long lasting effects. Here is a good explanation that I found on the web:

Is bacterial meningitis contagious?
Bacterial meningitis is contagious, however, it is not easily transmittable. Indirect or casual contact (such as being in the same room with someone who is infected) is not enough to cause transmission of bacterial meningitis. Direct contact with someone who has bacterial meningitis does increase the likelihood of being exposed to it. This includes direct exposure to oral or nasal secretions, which result from the coughing or sneezing of an infected person. Therefore, good hygiene practices help prevent its transmission. Do not share eating or drinking utensils.

Who needs preventive antibiotics to protect against bacterial meningitis?
Persons who have had recent intimate or direct exposure to someone with meningococcal disease may be at increased risk for contracting meningococcal disease and should receive prophylactic medication. Intimate or direct exposure is through kissing, sharing eating utensils or glassware, or droplet contamination with nose or throat secretions from the infected individual.

I would imagine that her roommate/suitemates would get prophylatic treatment also. I think a party would be high risk for kissing or sharing a glass. The bacteria doesn't live long outside the body so you wouldn't get it from a shower, door knob, etc.

It is characterized by the worst headache you could ever imagine and a stiff neck. I had a temp of 105 and couldn't touch my chin to my chest because my neck was so stiff and that was the reason my mom took me to ER instead of waiting for the doctor appointment that was scheduled for the next day. The worst headache ever...

Dee
Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Apperently people from my college were at the party and had to get checked out here to, so as not to spread it on our campus....
I was just glad my friends at ISU (one who happens to be a member of the fraternity) are ok!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to sound mean, but was this girl going around sneezing and coughing or kissing anything that moved in order to have everyone at that party checked out? If I am understanding you correctly concerning how it is contagious, only direct contact or basically having fluids from an infected person invade your persons is the way to catch it?

Was the party like a rock concert in that you had to touch everyone in the room?

I guess what I am looking at is the fact that they exposed a fraternity party as the culprit. People at the dorm are fine, but if you went to that nasty fraternity party you probably came down with something.

Just my view.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

better to be safe than sorry, i suppose....
Old 09-29-2005, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

better to be safe than sorry....
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HoosierPhiSig
our president sent us an email yesterday saying that we might want to go get shots at the health center because that girl is friends with a bunch of guys in our house was at many of our rush parties the last 2 weeks
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
Not to sound mean, but was this girl going around sneezing and coughing or kissing anything that moved in order to have everyone at that party checked out? .
two words:

BEER PONG
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HoosierPhiSig
two words:

BEER PONG
Unless it's played differently than where I come from, Beer Pong is not a contact sport. You don't drink from other people's cups do you? We don't. Or I should say the people that play it don't.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HoosierPhiSig
two words:

BEER PONG
Along those lines...beer funnel/bong or keg stand, anyone?

Or one of those ice block thingies.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, unfortunately the cups are usually re-used every game. I've never seen it played any other way.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school, a senior died of meningitis one day after a party for the juniors and seniors... it was around prom time, and I think that's why everyone was together, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Anyway, they treated all of the people who were at that party as a safety precaution. People who had spent the most time with him had to have spinal taps, and others were given oral medication. I remember being terrified. It was a pretty scary ordeal.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

meningitis symptoms

What are some of the more typical meningitis symptoms?