GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,323
2 members and 2,321 guests
TLLK

Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Divine 9 Research

Hi all,

I am new on Greek Chat, so I don't know if this is the right place for my question but here goes:

I have looked around on the "Newbie" threads and figured out that it is best to ask a Divine 9 Member in real life about the best way to approach joining a D-9, but I also know it is important to be discrete, and the girls I would ask at my school aren't known for being discrete, if you catch my drift. I did not grow up in a predominately African-American community at all (grew up around the world and moved often), and the first time I heard about BGLOs was in college. I was never really interested in Greek life until I started researching the NPHC as a whole, and after doing some research and reading The History of the Divine 9, African American Sororties: The Legacy and the Vision, and visiting the national websites of each of the sororites, I have finally settled on what organization I think would be a best fit for me. However, I did not start doing this research until recently because I never really had an interest in Greek life. I have two questions:

1. Where can I learn more about the Divine 9? I am eager to learn more about founders and especially individual histories, it is all very fascinating to me.

2. As I recently became interested in a particular organization, I attended their informational at the end of the semester. I haven't really attended any events for the sorority, but would like to next semester now that I have more information, but I will be a senior. Will expressing my interest so late hamper my chances? I know a couple of the girls, but not very closely. The organization will have a interest meeting in the fall, if I haven't shown interest up to this point how can I without being forward or pushy?

I am sorry if I asked anything that couldn't be answered in this forum, again I am new so I will try to learn the ways of the board quickly :-)

Thanks so much for any help or advice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are interested in Delta Sigma Theta, then get "In Search of Sisterhood" by Paula Giddins.

I'll let my other D9 sisters give you their sources.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Does your school have an Office of Greek Life? This would be an excellent question for them, since we don't go to your school and can't give you specifics.

In MY humble opinion, if a guy was interested in Alpha and came up to me (discreetly) to express interest with your same story.... well, I don't see how any harm could befall him from trying.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Outside of the books you have listed I would suggest wikipedia. Some of the D9 wiki pages actually have legitimate sources you can go back to. (Key word make sure the sources are legitimate, not somebody's blog posting of what they think.) I also hear "In Search of Sisterhood." is a good book that can be found at the bookstore.

Can't answer your second question though. Different chapters have different criteria, that's when you may have to ask and express your desire.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

Also, if you can find GreekChat, you can find the organizations' national websites.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the prompt advice, all! My school does have an office of Greek affairs, but they tend to cater more to NPC organizations. To LadyGreek, I have heard of "In Search of Sisterhood" from friends who are Deltas, and they told me that even if I wasn't interested in Delta specifically it is a good source of information so I still may browse that.

I like what you said, Senusret. I may end up asking one of the members in my school's chapter if she has any advice, she did friend me on Facebook but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to approach her on that forum. Since I am home for the summer the only real contact I have with the chapter is through email or Facebook, but I don't want to be disrespectful either.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmoni View Post
Thanks for the prompt advice, all! My school does have an office of Greek affairs, but they tend to cater more to NPC organizations. To LadyGreek, I have heard of "In Search of Sisterhood" from friends who are Deltas, and they told me that even if I wasn't interested in Delta specifically it is a good source of information so I still may browse that.

I like what you said, Senusret. I may end up asking one of the members in my school's chapter if she has any advice, she did friend me on Facebook but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to approach her on that forum. Since I am home for the summer the only real contact I have with the chapter is through email or Facebook, but I don't want to be disrespectful either.
FB friend doesn't equal actual friend. If you do decide to talk to her and are serious about it do it in person.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I agree - it is a good source of information on black history in general, not just DST.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I can understand the FB friend thing. The chapter did provide e-mail addresses of members at the informational should we have questions over the summer; I may ask her my questions over e-mail since I will not be able to talk with her in person until the fall semester.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, I can understand the FB friend thing. The chapter did provide e-mail addresses of members at the informational should we have questions over the summer; I may ask her my questions over e-mail since I will not be able to talk with her in person until the fall semester.

That was very kind of them. Good luck! Take care.