GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,459
1 members and 2,458 guests
John

Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a mechanism for the whole mutual selection thing.

I've probably mentioned this 48238239 times, but on my first campus, there were three local sororities all wanting to go national. Everyone was told it would be a 'mutual selection' type thing.

The local girls were also told that the NPCs chosen to colonize had a few options:

1) absorbing one of the locals/interest groups
2) ground-up expansion

Three NPCs were chosen to present, only two showed up, and both NPCs found a match in one of the locals.
Having been one of the two to "show up", we and the other NPC found perfect matches and the remaining group really just wanted to be a local. It was a beautiful thing

Too bad you transferred texas*princess b/c you would be my sorority sister but I guess being my GC sister is ok too
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Update: our colony at Pratt Institute welcomed 25 women at their new member ceremony on Sept. 17th!

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Update: our colony at Pratt Institute welcomed 25 women at their new member ceremony on Sept. 17th!
Congratulations, Sigma Sigma Sigma!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Article about Kappa Alpha Theta Colonizing at James Madison U.

See:
http://www.thebreeze.org/2007/10-4/top3.html

The article says that Theta expects / would like to get 100 - 130 for the charter member "class." Does anyone know yet how many they did take?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
nattie1231

I am a pledge of the Eta Rho chapter at JMU. I believe they took 128 women, but I'm not positive.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 PM

Delta Tau Delta is colonizing Hillsdale College and the University of Tampa.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Johnson & Wales University, Denver, CO
Florida International University, Miami, FL
Allegheny College, Meadville, PA

Will all be open for expansion Fall 2008!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Johnson & Wales University, Denver, CO
Florida International University, Miami, FL
Allegheny College, Meadville, PA

Will all be open for expansion Fall 2008!
Nice, what GLO?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Groups have not been chosen to present yet.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It's the end of the world as we know it

Ummm . .. was that a civil exchange between AlphaFrog and Tom Earp? Cause if so, I think it is one of the signs of the second coming or something.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Ummm . .. was that a civil exchange between AlphaFrog and Tom Earp? Cause if so, I think it is one of the signs of the second coming or something.
Civility is always appreciated. Let's hope it stays that way so we moderators can avoid altering this thread.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

for Lambda Psi Delta we have an expansion group in tampa, FL who look like they'll be moving on to colony sometime either this semester or next, and my group in thibodaux, LA just upgraded to a colony this semester.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

NUBlue&Blue, I apologize if you think my comment was snarky. I didn't mean it that way.

I realize that Guys rarely fully understand the situation that the girls have and girls rarely understand the fraternity situation.

Also, I don't know why Sigma Pi is trying to colonize at tech either. It's one of the toughest campuses for a fraternity and they have no realistic possibility of having a house any time soon unless someone gets kicked off. They got 14 for their installation ceremony when their goal was 25. 14 isn't bad though for a new group at Tech. Still their housing situation and lack of alumni will really hurt them once they actually have to start paying their bills and such.

My fraternity has had plenty of challenge with a house and with Alumni to support us. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for them with no house and no alumni.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

TX Christian U - Gamma Phi

The Gamma Phi Beta colony at TCU pledged 120 - a great start (only 30 away from chapter total) for our newest crescents!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzbt View Post
NUBlue&Blue, I apologize if you think my comment was snarky. I didn't mean it that way.

I realize that Guys rarely fully understand the situation that the girls have and girls rarely understand the fraternity situation.

Also, I don't know why Sigma Pi is trying to colonize at tech either. It's one of the toughest campuses for a fraternity and they have no realistic possibility of having a house any time soon unless someone gets kicked off. They got 14 for their installation ceremony when their goal was 25. 14 isn't bad though for a new group at Tech. Still their housing situation and lack of alumni will really hurt them once they actually have to start paying their bills and such.

My fraternity has had plenty of challenge with a house and with Alumni to support us. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for them with no house and no alumni.
You can't blame them for trying, though. Tech is a great school in a great location. They have at least two active chapters in Georgia (from their nat'l website, it's hard to tell), so I assume they have some alumni in the Atlanta area.

Also, the parking lot on the hill beside O'Keefe, across the street from the ZBT house, has been designated as a potential area for new Greek housing, according to the Greek Area Sector Plan (last revised in 2001). That lot doesn't generate a lot of revenue for GT Parking since there's not much adjacent to it. With Panhellenic pursuing expansion, there's definitely the potential for another house or two on campus.

A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Class of 2007