GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,634
0 members and 2,634 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question rushing as a junior

what are my chances getting into a house as a junior at UCLA?

here's my story:

i attended a city college (junior college) for 3 years. i stayed there so long because my major required to complete lots of classes before i could transfer. i have about over 70 units/credits. i would love to join the greek life but i'm afraid that i won't get a bid because of year status.

i'd been active at the jc i attended--from honor socities, 2 clubs, and being an ambassador.

what are my chances of being cut or getting a bid; even being accepted at the end into a house? lastly, is there anyone in my position who got accepted in and could tell me their story?

Last edited by oOOmango; 09-11-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2005, 12:02 AM

I'm a San Diego native and I have friends in a few houses at UCLA. It's one of the more competitive recruitments on the west coast. I obviously can't TELL you what to do because you'll do what you want, but based on your junior status and the fact that you're a transfer I honestly don't think you have good chances.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

As a student at UCLA, I'll give you the best advice I can.

When I went through rush last year, I knew two girls who were junior transfers. They both pledged and joined great houses (one was in my pledge class ).

That's not to say that you won't be cut, but juniors do have a chance.

Hope you have a great time!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

You won't have as competitive a recruitment as the underclassmen, but there are some chapters that will bid upperclassmen depending on that year and their members. Go through formal recruitment and if it doesn't work out, DO check out the COR events in informal recruitment, especially in the spring quarter.

Back when I advised at UCLA, many of the chapters made quota, but few were at total, so many chapters held COR events throughout the year. Many wonderful upperclassmen I met at UCLA came through this way, as well.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

wow. thank you for the response. i'll take everything into consideration and do my best. thank you, again.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're transferring to UCLA now (that is, before next fall's formal recruitment!), go to the Office of Greek Life and register your interest for COR/COB (aka Informal Recruitment) so you can possibly attend some events this spring. As I said, the majority of the chapters do hold informal recruitment events because of some variance between the number of women who come through formal recruitment and the chapters' "Total" cap on membership. Some of my favorite chapter officers cames into the UCLA chapter I formerly advised this way-- especially one fantastic scholarship chair who bidded as a junior.

(This is based on advising there about 3 years back-- at that time only 2 of 11 chapters were at total -- the rest were holding recruitment events each quarter--- optimum time to see the sorority women in a more relaxed setting and a great opportunity for upperclassmen who might get slighted in formal recruitment.)

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider formal recrutiment as an option, nor am I saying informal recruitment guarantees you a bid, but you should definitely check it out.

ETA: I just realized that UCLA most likely has yet to hold recruitment-- I keep forgetting they start later!

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-13-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ETA: I just realized that UCLA most likely has yet to hold recruitment-- I keep forgetting they start later! [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, we don't start recruitment until Sept 27th
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

gl, if i did it as a senior then i think you will be ok too
Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's great you are looking for ways to get involved in your new campus. I'm looking to do the same thing, at the same age that you are. Girls like us need each others' support. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

it's great to see that i am not the only non-traditionalist. good luck daisy625! i wish you the best! also, thank you rxqueen. i'm thrilled for you that you made it through.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only cynical one who is thinking that it's awfully funny to have all three of these "old rushees" on the same thread?

For what it's worth, I rushed as a junior and everything was A-OK, but my Greek system is not UCLA.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I know of one girl who was in my sorority and another girl in a different sorority that were juniors (as far as credit hours were concerned) when they pledged. Both had attended junior colleges and had changed their majors. They had at least 3 years to offer their chapters and both were highly involved with their chapters and well respected on campus. I would much rather have a great involved sister for 2-3 years than a deadbeat for 4 years. I attended a medium sized school in the south. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Hun, no one here is trying to be mean. We're just being honest. Would you rather us all tell you, "Go ahead and rush! You have a virtually guaranteed chance for a bid?" We'd be doing you a disservice by saying that because then you'd be hurt if things didn't turn out that way. We're just letting you know in advance how UCLA is just so if you DO decide to rush, and get cut heavily (which could happen), you'd be prepared for it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

UCLA usually has a junior quota (almost always 2). Some chapters may take more depending upon their class distribution.

Juniors usually do very well in COB, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't go through formal recruitment. Formal recruitment is a TERRIFIC way to see all of the chapters and get to know the women. I highly encourage you to check it out. You can register here: Go Bruins!!!!

When I went through recruitment my best friend went through with me as a junior in credit hours. She wound up in a terrific chapter (we joined different groups), and we had some great juniors in my new member class.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
You should definitely ask some sorority members or people on campus who are familiar with the Greek system about how good your chances are if you decide to rush; as others have pointed out, it just depends on your campus so there's really no single answer. My school was pretty competitive as far as rush goes, but it isn't unheard-of for a junior to pledge. There was a junior in my pledge class, in fact, and she wasn't the only upperclassman to join while I was active. However, keep in mind that this was a school where juniors don't count against quota. Upperclassmen may not have a very easy time at a school that includes juniors in the quota.