GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,411
3 members and 2,408 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 12-22-2002, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
texas--

From what I understand, the school has to apply to Panhellenic for expansion. The school them accepts "applications" from different organizations and interviews them. After the prelim interviews, the organizations are invited to the school to give a presentation. This is the part that I'm not sure about. I think that the people that go and are interested have to sign up, but I'm not sure. Have you thought about contacting Panhellenic on the issue?

Green, green the ivy twines...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

expansion

Texas,
The Greek Affairs or Panhellenic office usually recognizes a need for a new sorority and that decision is most often made when the other chapters on campus are doing reasonably well and getting quota every year either through Formal Recruitment or COB. Another factor might be whether there are PNM's not getting bids during formal recruitment, which may indicate the need for more groups.
I think an "interest group" or a local sorority may also initiate the process, but the campus Panhellenic must agree, and as far as I know, they will ask for input from the existing groups. Someone feel free to correct this if it is incorrect, please.
Once a decision is made to expand, then the campus can ask certain groups to make presentations or they can just issue a general call for presentations through National Panhellenic. If there is a local sorority interested in going National, or an "interest group", they might ask the groups directly if they have particular ones they are interested in.
If there is no interest group formed, the National that is selected for the campus will then interview all women who are interested in them and make selections from applications. I have seen posts on GC where they do an interview process then actually have a Pref night.
This is not very detailed, but is generally the way it works. There is a wonderful thread in "Rush" by a woman is going throught the process make a local sorority national. She knows the process inside out, I am sure.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks ladies!

oceanphi & aopi,

thanks for the help. I just wanted to be sure how all the NPC expansion works since the particular chapter in this thread was having some troubles with the expansion.

i think having a new NPC on my campus would be awesome, so you may have given me some ideas to get the ball rolling
Old 12-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: expansion

Quote:
Originally posted by aopinthesky
I think an "interest group" or a local sorority may also initiate the process, but the campus Panhellenic must agree, and as far as I know, they will ask for input from the existing groups. Someone feel free to correct this if it is incorrect, please.
That is correct. That's what happened with my chapter, actually. When a local sorority or interest group wants to become a chapter of an NPC sorority, step 1 is to get the local Panhel's blessing (if a Panhel exists). Only after that can NPC be contacted. The local can express a preference for a particular NPC sorority, and I don't believe that preference can be overridden by the local Panhel.

Little E's school's situation is a little unusual in that there isn't a Panhel in the "traditional" NPC sense (since there's only one NPC sorority at the moment).
Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Question:
Because we already have one NPC does that mean this new group has to ask for presentations? or can they directly ask one NPC to colonize? or dosen't NPC regulate this?

(for those who mentioned it earlier, our national know, and have known from the beginning, i am just curious for more info from people that might have had this on their campus.)

Tau love!
Old 12-24-2002, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

new group

Little E,
I THINK that the new group can contact one or more NPC's directly if they want to. Some interest groups form with the initial idea of asking "XYZ" to take them, based many times on research that the group has done on ideals, philanthropy, etc. If an interest group or local doesnt have an opinion about what National takes them, then I believe that NPC can issue an announcement in their newsletter for any group that may be interested in colonizing at your campus.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Banned

Re: My 2 cents worth

This simply isn't true. Guys don't just go, yeah i like them and i'll join. A lot of them evaluate it in the material sense. What girls will I meet? What parties will I be going to? Yeah that's not the central aspect of the fraternity, BUT that is still a part of it.

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
I think one overlooked part of this is the fact that males and females make judgements differently. Females tend to go more on outward appearances to make snap decisions about groups. Girls who don't do their homework about sororities in general or who don't think long, hard, and deep about what they want out of Greek Life will see the small, struggling chapter and think "I don't want to be associated with that. . .what will everyone think?"

Guys, on the other hand, tend to think "hey, these 5 guys are cool, I like them a lot. I could be their brother, no prob. We'd have a great time."

That's why bringing a new sorority on campus when another one is struggling doesn't always have the same outcome as bringing a new fraternity on campus. It also depends on the attitude/atmosphere of the campus.

(NOTICE THAT THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE NOT ABSOLUTES. . .JUST PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS. thank you. )
Old 12-25-2002, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok so on the NPC expansion thought...I'm actually qutie frustrated with the whole process. My local sorority has gone talked with our pan-hel and we have talked and met with our NPC area advisor. It has been 2 semesters now and our iformation still hasnt been given to the other NPC sororities because of some hold up. Now going into next semester there is a new Pan-Hel board so we are basically starting form square one. This really frustrates me because we do have a lot of potential but unfortuetly we are stuck and we have no way of getting over the hump because of Panhellenic.
Another resaon that things are going at a quick pace from what i hear is that a national sorority on our campus, which will remain nameless cannot get their numbers up. and because of this it slows down our process. I understand that they are basically priority but at the same time it is a little unfair.
I dont mean to sound pissed i'm just a little frustrated with the situation. and honestly i dont understand it.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

expansion

>>>national sorority on our campus, which will remain nameless cannot get their numbers up. and because of this it slows down our process<<<

Rayray,
I can understand the frustration you and your sisters must feel because you are anxious to go national and I encourage you to continue to "start at square one" as many times as it takes.
You are right that the process will be slowed by an existing NPC that is struggling. That does not further your cause, I know, but you would not like it if there were something underway at your campus that would, for all intents and purposes, push your sorority to oblivion. I applaud a campus Panhellenic that will not rush to expand at the expense of other houses.
Does your group participate in recruitment with the NPC groups? Is this possible? That might be a way to start. Just a thought. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

After seeing the site of Beloits list of current and ex greeks I am astounded!

What a great list of great Fraternity/Soroitys.

The sad part is the ones who were there for many years, changed names or were closed.

It seems, that it would take a concentrated effort by all of teh Greeks on campus to work together and inform the students of what is could mean to them to be members.

I know the same situation is at my school of yore! 6 Fraternitys and only 3 Soroitys. I am talking of a 6500 student school and maybe 10% are Greeks!

But the Key is getting the Chapters together to get off of their butts to work together, just the same as my Alma Mater.

Show what Greek Liffe can be like, promote, advertise and rush like hell to increase numbers!

LX Z # 1
Alumni