GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,179
2 members and 1,177 guests
No Members online

Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
More please!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll post more in a bit.

I really do appreciate Lisa's guidance. That must have been so hard for her! My heart broke a little when Kim told me she was a Delta Zeta. I really appreciate her guidance because I had NO idea what my options were. I had never heard of informal and only vaguely recalled hearing that bids were binding for a year. It took a lot of maturity for her to do that. I hope every girl can have a RC like her.

I also think some of my impartiality is due to the fact that I knew relatively little about Greek Life going in. I think if I had grown up in a Greek Family or had a LOT of friends from high school who went to College, I would have had a much different story and experience.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The beginning of COB:

So, I contact the Panhellenic to find out what groups are offering COB.
The list:

1. Delta Delta Delta
2. Alpha Delta Pi

So, I won't be able to go back to Delta Zeta and see if it would have worked. On the other hand, it looks like they did well for themselves, so perhaps I wouldn't have gotten a bid anyhow.

I plan to attend a rush party for both Alpha Delta Pi and Delta Delta Delta even though I really didn't like them, just to see if they come off better in a more relaxed setting. Besides, with Kim and Jane coming back with all their bid day packages, meetings, and socials, I REALLY want to be in a sorority now.

I also see a flyer for Sigma Omicron Epsilon, the sorority that Lisa had mentioned and decide to check them out.

-Delta Delta Delta-
We went bowling. It was fun (when is bowling and free food not!), but that awkward feeling I had at Delta Zeta's pref party was back. I talk to a lot of girls and stay for the duration of the party, but I just don't fit here no matter how badly I want to. I leave, knowing for sure I won't return.

-Sigma Omicron Epsilon-
They had an info night and I was excited to check them out. I walk in, grab some punch, and begin talking to some girls. I'm getting some odd looks and a rather cold reception, and I realize why during the informational. Sigma Omicron Epsilon is an American Indian Interest Sorority, and I am very obviously not American Indian. (In my defense, it is still possible for me to rush them.)

I still have Alpha Delta Pi's parties, though, so I am not TOO discouraged. I also google College's Greek website and look up the other non-NPC or NPHC sororities. (I am determined to do my research BEFORE I attend another rush party.) I am interested in both Alpha Omega Epsilon (I also recall being handed a flyer about Alpha Omega Epsilon in my engineering class) and Theta Nu Xi.

Last edited by Scrubadub; 01-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
-Delta Delta Delta-
....When the blonde rushing me asks my major and I reply "Chemical Engineering", she blinks at me for a moment (while twirling her hair) and asks why I'd waste my time on that.
Quote:
I am interested in both Alpha Omega Epsilon (I also recall being handed a flyer about Alpha Omega Epsilon in my engineering class) and Theta Nu Xi.
Oh, duh, I completely forgot you mentioned your major... Okay, I'm bettin on AOE now!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Kim is fully immersed in her New Member program now and loves it. She is very supportive of me, and offers to accompany me to any COB events. Her excitement about me finding my home gives me some hope.

-Alpha Delta Pi-
I walk in and am immediately greeted with a huge smile. It's a dessert party, featuring desserts from around the world. I am thrilled to be here and am really, really enjoing myself with all the ADPis. As I go to grab another piece of flan, I bump (literally bump) into a familiar face: yes, that's right! It was Legacy . Legacy, who swore up and down that she would never be caught dead at Alpha Delta Pi. Legacy, who was rude beyond belief at their Round 1 party. Apparently she was hoping the tent talk she herself spread was true: that they would take anybody. I ask her how recruitment had gone: she replies (quite icily, if I do say so myself) that her legacy groups were not what she expected.

Another PNM whispers to me that she had been cut from all 4 of her legacy groups the second round. (Oh! That explains why she was on the phone that day.) I allow myself a smile, but on the inside I'm quite pleased. Apparently, being perfect shoes, weight, and connections doesn't assure you a top-tier group.

The party was fantastic, and I leave Alpha Delta Pi, ecstatic to return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To make an already long story a little shorter, I went to nearly every COB party Alpha Delta Pi offered, but never recieved a bid. I loved it, but apparently it wasn't meant to be.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Apparently, being perfect shoes, weight, and connections doesn't assure you a top-tier group.
This is something we try to let PNMs know when they come to GC. There are no real guarantees in the world of recruitment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
since my sorority is being installed by AOE as a colony Tomm. i have to post that i hope you're an AOE too.

woot. i'm more excited about this story than i was before!

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 01-16-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Scrubadub, come baaaaaack!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
since my sorority is being installed by AOE as a colony Tomm. i have to post that i hope you're an AOE too.

woot. i'm more excited about this story than i was before!
/slight hijack

Congrats!!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to finish it up today, because this has been dragging on too long!

I go to info night for Alpha Omega Epsilon and fall in love. It's cool because everyone is the same major as me! (I didn't think it would be so hard to be the only girly-girl in an engineering class, but sometimes it sucks.) With that alone, I feel at home. The informational night explains the international organization and the chapter, which was fantastic as I knew nothing about either. After the third COB party I attended, I felt that feeling Kim felt with Chi Omega. It just fit.

I was invited to Pref night, which was beautiful. At this pref ceremony, I tried my hardest NOT to cry. It didn't work so well.

I accepted my bid and have been at home ever since. I wonder sometimes what would have happened had I done things differently, but I don't regret it for a minute! I love Alpha Ep and my sisters with all my heart.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

THE END
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story!! So glad you found your home
Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Great story.

Question: What became of Legacy? Did she end up getting a bid to ADPi?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
ahhhh! a future sister! i'm so excited! esp. with our recruitment coming up next week!!
i say future b.c we aren't installed as AOE yet [but we will be in less than 24 hours!]
Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Great story.

Question: What became of Legacy? Did she end up getting a bid to ADPi?
It sounded like it.

Is it bad to say that she doesn't sound like a sister that I'd really want?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt