GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,397
2 members and 1,395 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

What an interesting system. I'm curious, did the two different sections of ASA ever have any contact? Since it's so foreign to me, I can't help but wondering what it would be like for there to essentially be another chapter of my org at my school that I had no contact with.

Glad to hear you were giving Theta Phi a chance!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyBrunette View Post
What an interesting system. I'm curious, did the two different sections of ASA ever have any contact? Since it's so foreign to me, I can't help but wondering what it would be like for there to essentially be another chapter of my org at my school that I had no contact with.
I'm sure they know each other to some point, but as far as rushing and pledging and chapter operations, they are completely separate.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm sure they know each other to some point, but as far as rushing and pledging and chapter operations, they are completely separate.
Do you know if they share the same house?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Do you know if they share the same house?
According to the linky links, I would say yes. The same house is in both chapters' sites.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

So there's got to be some crossover that way. I know Room 13 in the ASA house at WIU was used by a lot of girls before me (and lots of Asian people after me), but it would still be weird to be sharing the same room with a woman at the same time.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

In response to the school questions. In the fall and spring the two groups might have a chance of crossing paths because one group is leaving while the other is coming. In the winter and summer, however, there is a 2 week break in between.

Back to the story: At some point we had to list the chapters we would be willing to accept a bid from. I listed Theta Phi Alpha first and Alpha Sigma Alpha second.

After this I think there was a day or two of silence. Then the silence was broken by a ton of pounding and singing at my door. Now mind you there was not a lot of singing during rush so this was a total shock.

When I opened the door I was whisked away by a huge group of Theta Phi Alphas!!!

I was the only girl in my hall to pledge Theta Phi, but I am happy to say we had the largest pledge class that summer. I had so much fun getting to know my new sisters and participating in more activities with fraternities. Let me tell you college in the summer is so much fun. Sand volleyball, Hog roasts, Canoe Trips, Drive-In Movies.
MUCH FUN!!!

Stay Tuned there is more...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof5 View Post
Stay Tuned there is more...

There's always a twist in these retro threads. . .
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Therefore it would have made no sense for her to meet any of the B section groups, any more than it would make sense for a student at UNC to go through rush at Duke.
That would definitely NOT make sense at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
YAY FOR THETA PHI ALPHA!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Obviously I was enjoying my pledge experience very much. In a way I miss some of the minor "hazing". We had to meet with each of the sisters one on one to get to know them and keep it in our pledge book, but it was so much fun. I remember going for ice cream a couple times, meeting for lunch on campus, going to the mall and having gyros. If that's hazing, haze me all you want.

First term ended and we all went our separate ways for our coop session. We were not to be initiated until spring term. I spent the next 11 weeks working at UPS. Great people, great money, boring work. By the end of the 11 weeks I decided that working a desk job was not for me. However, since GMI only has Engineering and Management I had to transfer schools. I was able to go back to campus at the beginning of spring semester to tell my sisters and say goodbye. I was heart broken to be leaving Theta Phi Alpha.

I transferred to Purdue. I know from one engineering school to another, but Purdue offers a lot more options. I was able to major in Math Education. I really wanted to continue my greek experience since I had been having so much fun. However, Purdue does not have a Theta Phi Alpha Chapter so I would have to join a different group. At Purdue you are not allowed to participate in COB as a freshman unless you participated in formal rush so I had to wait until the next fall.

I did not even think about getting to know the different chapters during the term. I went to parties, but I never really interacted with sorority women individually.

Last edited by Momof5; 07-02-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 PM

This is the biggest twist yet!

Quote:
At Purdue you are not allowed to participate in COB as a freshman unless you participated in formal rush so I had to wait until the next fall.
Does anyone know if it's still like that? I guess I see what they were trying to do, but I don't know if it's really kosher.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry to keep the crash going, but this fascinates me. So do they have two Executive Boards? Two Presidents? Which one submits the chapter's "vote" or "voice" at the National Convention?

And to crash further, it blows my mind that the OP is my age and has 5 kids. Unless Momof5 refers to her dogs....
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
Sorry to keep the crash going, but this fascinates me. So do they have two Executive Boards? Two Presidents? Which one submits the chapter's "vote" or "voice" at the National Convention?
They are two separate chapters - Delta Nu-A and Delta Nu-B. Each has an exec board and president. Each has a vote at convention.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I sure do hope this turns into a Purdue rush retro thread!!! My son will be a freshman at Purdue this fall and we just got the "go Greek" pamphlet in the mail today! I'm pretty sure, however, that he will not be joining a fraternity - just not the type. I know several sorority girls at Purdue and I'll be curious to hear how it worked for you!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25 View Post
And to crash further, it blows my mind that the OP is my age and has 5 kids. Unless Momof5 refers to her dogs....
Yes! I thought that instantly also. (I was also a freshman in 1992.)

I bumped into a girl I graduated from high school with recently, and she was weeks away from delivering her fourth.

(Don't get me wrong...I adore my kids. But the two of them are all I am personally capable of handling. Though my "baby" is only 2, so I guess that leaves me time to change my mind. )

Though I'm sure there would be a lot of fun things about having a big family...my mom is the middle child out of 9, and when I was a kid I always envied that she grew up with so many siblings.