GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 320,582
Threads: 115,146
Posts: 2,181,744
Welcome to our newest member, AliceGaddi
» Online Users: 419
0 members and 419 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-15-2022, 11:04 PM
JonInKC JonInKC is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I am not in KC!
Posts: 854
Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
What about students that self-identify as being on the Dean's List?
__________________
"Playing in this nice weather really makes me remember all the times I got stung by a bee." - John Madden

p a w e a since 1899
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2022, 11:19 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
What about students that self-identify as being on the Dean's List?
Absolutely loving this!!
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-16-2022, 01:03 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,437
Just curious, are there organizations out there that *prohibit* their chapters from setting GPA requirements either above the national GPA requirements or higher than a specific GPA?
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-16-2022, 03:37 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,905
I don't know but I can see NPC or various sororities dropping GPAs and then continuing to have grade competitions or even penalizing chapters who don't have a certain GPA.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-16-2022, 04:34 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,908
Along those lines, a Facebook group for PNM moms NOT at a specific college just posted something interesting.
Her daughter is going to a big university in the Northwest United States.
PANHELLENIC put this "disclaimer" in the registration materials.
<
"DISCLAIMER: The University of *State* Panhellenic Executive Board does not encourage the use of letters of recommendation or legacy status. We believe that the use of these resources creates an expectation that a PNM is guaranteed certain privileges during the recruitment process, when that is not true. Additionally, the use of these resources creates an added barrier to certain PNMs. The Panhellenic Executive Board acknowledges and does not condone the historic practices that have excluded women of color, those with physical limitations, those with different preferred pronouns, women of a lower socioeconomic status, etc. The use of resources such as legacy status or letters of recommendation perpetuates these exclusive practices, as they give preferential treatment in the recruitment process. The Panhellenic Executive Board strives to achieve a fully equitable Recruitment Process by not encouraging the use of these resources. The University of *State* Panhellenic Association practices a values-based recruitment process, which prioritizes getting to know PNMs personally, and not relying on information from outside sources that would be submitted through letters of recommendation.
If you are still interested in submitting a letter of recommendation or your legacy status, please see the following links....."
<
I mean.....how dare they dictate what every group does?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-16-2022, 05:59 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,905
That makes me throw up.

NPC knows full well that sororities will pledge who they want. Many groups at many schools have their preferred first bid list made out as I write this. If they happen upon some unknown who sounds wonderful on paper, you better believe they'll look into her any way they can. Who wants to risk getting a psycho PNM--and if you don't think they exist, read the Weird Rush Stories thread. Does NPC really think that the sororities won't investigate the PNMs before recruitment?

Nope, 'cause NPC only wants to look woke.

Last edited by carnation; 06-16-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-16-2022, 06:01 PM
NoID NoID is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
A few of the chapters I work with directly have said that IF our organization removed nationally defined GPA minimums (hasn't happened yet), they would simply keep a GPA minimum that is comparable to the other sororities at their universities. Even now, many of those GPA requirements are higher than what ASA has set.

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I see my collegiate sisters striving for excellence. I was just reviewing end-of-year reports today for one of my chapters, and I see far more success than failure! They aren't going to suddenly stop caring because a number provided by a national office was removed. Many of them aren't using that number anyway!
I agree. That would happen initially.

What about 10 years from now; when grades are no longer considered a barrier. Or when minimums are removed, so gradually more and more grade risks are chosen?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,905
I would be the alum who questioned a PNM why she was in college anyway if she brought a 1.75 out of high school into recruitment. Who would want a woman who doesn't know how to study? How did she even get into college? Sounds like a dream sister!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I would be the alum who questioned a PNM why she was in college anyway if she brought a 1.75 out of high school into recruitment. Who would want a woman who doesn't know how to study? How did she even get into college? Sounds like a dream sister!
Ditto
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-16-2022, 08:09 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,927
For decades, the recommendation system helped sift through PNMs with bad grades, questionable reputations, and poor scholarship. Do we really need to disable this on a large scale?
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-16-2022, 11:16 PM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I would be the alum who questioned a PNM why she was in college anyway if she brought a 1.75 out of high school into recruitment. Who would want a woman who doesn't know how to study? How did she even get into college? Sounds like a dream sister!
When I was in ROTC, we had a cadet who badly wanted to contract but wasn’t able to due to grades. At first I felt kind of bad…until I found out the minimum was a 2.0! And she didn’t have a difficult major or some extenuating circumstances. If your GPA is in the 1s, additional activities are not a good idea!
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-17-2022, 01:44 AM
Cookiez17 Cookiez17 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
When I was in ROTC, we had a cadet who badly wanted to contract but wasn’t able to due to grades. At first I felt kind of bad…until I found out the minimum was a 2.0! And she didn’t have a difficult major or some extenuating circumstances. If your GPA is in the 1s, additional activities are not a good idea!
As someone said, if your GPA is something like that, you should be pledging the library instead of a greek org.
__________________
Badoo Badoom Tri Delta!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-17-2022, 09:13 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Along those lines, a Facebook group for PNM moms NOT at a specific college just posted something interesting.
Her daughter is going to a big university in the Northwest United States.
PANHELLENIC put this "disclaimer" in the registration materials.
<
"DISCLAIMER: The University of *State* Panhellenic Executive Board does not encourage the use of letters of recommendation or legacy status. We believe that the use of these resources creates an expectation that a PNM is guaranteed certain privileges during the recruitment process, when that is not true. Additionally, the use of these resources creates an added barrier to certain PNMs. The Panhellenic Executive Board acknowledges and does not condone the historic practices that have excluded women of color, those with physical limitations, those with different preferred pronouns, women of a lower socioeconomic status, etc. The use of resources such as legacy status or letters of recommendation perpetuates these exclusive practices, as they give preferential treatment in the recruitment process. The Panhellenic Executive Board strives to achieve a fully equitable Recruitment Process by not encouraging the use of these resources. The University of *State* Panhellenic Association practices a values-based recruitment process, which prioritizes getting to know PNMs personally, and not relying on information from outside sources that would be submitted through letters of recommendation.
If you are still interested in submitting a letter of recommendation or your legacy status, please see the following links....."
<
I mean.....how dare they dictate what every group does?
On the contrary, best CYA ever. If they really believed all that bs, they wouldn’t include the links to make sure the recs get to the proper place.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-17-2022, 09:19 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID View Post
I agree. That would happen initially.

What about 10 years from now; when grades are no longer considered a barrier. Or when minimums are removed, so gradually more and more grade risks are chosen?
Or when Edie who knows all the sisters has a 2.4 and the minimum is 2.5. “Well for Edie? She’s practically a sister already! We’ll waive it, just this once. Nationals will be ok with it.”

Next rush: “Brenda won’t accept our bid if we don’t take Donna and Kelly too and we REALLY want Brenda. Their grades aren’t that big of a deal.”

It’s a slippery slope.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-17-2022, 09:56 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,905
So much of this is a slippery slope!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Membership staciey17 Introductions 1 01-02-2017 01:22 PM
AKA membership: AKAs on GC DON'T discuss Membership! mzgreekwonder Alpha Kappa Alpha 7 10-26-2008 02:53 AM
AKA MEMBERSHIP PinkCashmere Alpha Kappa Alpha 9 02-03-2007 07:16 PM
membership princesssmw Beta Sigma Phi 1 09-22-2001 11:17 PM
Low membership Sweetsarah Greek Life 10 03-15-2000 11:27 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.