GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,396
2 members and 2,394 guests
PGD-GRAD, zagelpitto2616

Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Another unbelievable aspect of this tale is the forged paperwork. How would someone get hold of another organization's forms?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

There are many obvious ways to spot a shady KD
Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

lol. ^ very interesting responses. anyone else? I was pretty stunned she didn't get caught. I wondered if the girls in KD really liked her and didn't want to rat her out so they just let her play along?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubre View Post
lol. ^ very interesting responses. anyone else? I was pretty stunned she didn't get caught. I wondered if the girls in KD really liked her and didn't want to rat her out so they just let her play along?
Are you Greek?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubre View Post

LOL....no.

True and Constant
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
There are many obvious ways to spot a shady KD
Not that anyone here remembers any KD perps...
Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
This same exact question happens to be posted on that site in the Cornell section. That's odd considering Longhorn Mom's one daughter with the "successful" rush just happens to be at Cornell.
Don't worry, we also know where else her questions lie.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Don't worry, we also know where else her questions lie.
Now I'm curious.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Lulubre, so you're interested in AI with Alpha Gam?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

It is one thing to have been an initiated member of a sorority or fraternity at one school, transfer to a second school, and then affiliate with a chapter of another sorority or fraternity at the second school, purporting to have been initiated into that other sorority or fraternity at either the first school or a third school. The members of the sorority or fraternity at the second school could take the individual at her or his word, especially if she or he had some supporting documentation and seemed knowledgeable about the [second] sorority or fraternity. But I would think that the members of the sorority or fraternity at the second school would take the precaution of testing the individual for secret motto, grip, and other secret material that enables members of a sorority or fraternity to identify other members and expose imitators/impostors/fraudsters ... every sorority or fraternity has such signs and other additional secret identifying material. If the new sorority or fraternity was suspicious or duly diligent, it would check with the chapter at which the individual purported to have been initiated and/or with its (inter)national HQ. So I suppose an individual could get away with this sort of deception, but the second chapter would have to be very careless/inattentive to enable it to succeed.

It is, however, quite another matter for an individual to have been an initiated member of a sorority or fraternity at one school, transfer to a second school, and then join a second sorority or fraternity from the ground up ... by rushing, being bid, accepting the bid, pledging, and subsequently being initiated, all without ever mentioning membership in another fraternity at a previous school. There is no way that the members of the second sorority or fraternity could know that the individual had already been initiated into another fraternity at a different school if she or he simply kept her or his mouth shut about it. There is no central registry of all initiates of all sororities or fraternities against which sorority or fraternity HQs check or cross-reference the pledge or the initiate lists submitted to them by their respective chapters. I personally know two different people who have done this. In one instance, the sorority or fraternity into which the individual had been initiated did not exist at the school to which the individual transferred, and the individual was not interested in attempting to start a colony/chapter of that sorority or fraternity at the second school. So she or he simply rushed at the new school, and joined a different group. In the other instance, the individual was dissatisfied with the sorority or fraternity that she or he had been initiated into, and, upon transferring, likewise had no interest in attempting to bring that sorority or fraternity to the second school. So she or he likewise simply entered into the greek system at that school at the base level by rushing, and subsequently pledging and being initiated into a another sorority or fraternity. It was no problem in either instance; the individuals simply had to pay two sets of pledge and initiation fees, and be completely mum about their respective initial memberships. I would not be surprised if this has happened numerous times.

Last edited by stufield; 03-16-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
It was no problem in either instance; the individuals simply had to pay two sets of pledge and initiation fees, and be completely mum about their respective initial memberships.
But they told you, so they must not have been able maintain their discretion. Was any action ever taken against them by either of the groups each one joined? I feel that at some point, this could still catch up with someone even if they've gotten away with it during their college years, especially with social media and alumni/ae finding long-lost sisters and brothers via Facebook.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...... It was no problem in either instance; the individuals simply had to pay two sets of pledge and initiation fees, and be completely mum about their respective initial memberships. I would not be surprised if this has happened numerous times.
I know nothing about fraternities, but I sincerely doubt this has happened too many times among sororities. It would take super-human will for nothing to slip out about the previous membership. The member would have to keep quiet. The parents paying the bill would have to keep quiet. Any friends or siblings visiting her would have to be in on it.
And now, it's so easy to find pictures or other evidence online.
Sure, I'm sure it has happened.
But not that often.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
But they told you, so they must not have been able maintain their discretion. Was any action ever taken against them by either of the groups each one joined? I feel that at some point, this could still catch up with someone even if they've gotten away with it during their college years, especially with social media and alumni/ae finding long-lost sisters and brothers via Facebook.
They both told me, in separate conversations years and miles apart, several years after they graduated. And I have seen their names on alum lists, and both get correspondence from both their respective organizations.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I'm wondering why one of the two groups hasn't expelled them if they now know about it. Also, as far back as the 70's, my group has had a rule that chapter at campus B has to get written approval from chapter at campus A to pledge a woman. So if I went to Oregon State and was a member of AAA and then moved to Texas Tech, my org at TTU would check with our chapter at OSU to see if I had ever been thru recruitment and what the outcome had been. Then my chapter at TTU would tell PH that I already belonged to AAA and they would stop me from participating in recruitment. It would have been hard to do what you say.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
They both told me, in separate conversations years and miles apart, several years after they graduated. And I have seen their names on alum lists, and both get correspondence from both their respective organizations.
Out if curiosity, what time frame was this?

Also, were the sororities similar in size and scope? Don't name names, but I'm just trying to get a handle on this. I know that unfortunately there were/are campuses out there not well versed Panhellenically, to say the least.