GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,427
2 members and 1,425 guests
chironthearcher

Old 01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

n\a

n\a

Last edited by Zeta13Girl; 05-10-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Maryland, College Park
25,000 undergrads
slightly competitive
10% Greek
14 NPC chapters
Spring FMR
Total=95
FMR Quota=low 20s
Every chapter participates in informal recruitment (fall NM classes are in the low teens)

My senior year (last year), I was a Rho Gamma and on the Extension Exploration Committee. So, while I was not a member of the "Panhellenic Recruitment Team," I have learned about Maryland's recruitment and how other schools attract PNMs to sign up for recruitment.

Last year, our feeble attempt at PR involved passing out fliers at the dining halls. We did it a couple times a week from late October to early December. It was a sham. I think that method relied too much on the PNMs coming to us (i.e. sign up for Panhellenic recruitment on this website!) rather than us going to them and winning over more "maybe joiners".

In doing some research for the EEC, I met with a lady who has been working with Maryland Greek Life in some capacity since 1970. She is really passionate about Greek Life and we got into a conversation about how we can more attract PNMs, and she had some really valuable insight.

Most supporters of a fall formal recruitment will say, the longer recruitment is deferred, fewer women will sign up for recruitment. This is probably because students get into a routine, join clubs or SGA right away, and then they don't want to or can't commit their time to a GLO. Combine that with the fact that Greek Life certainly doesn't dominate the social scene, so there is little pressure to go Greek as the "thing" to do.

I view Virginia Tech as similar (Greek-wise, they have spring FMR, similar school and number of chapters) to my alma mater, but a bit stronger. They do three things that they do that have worked well for them:

1. They send out a gorgeous glossy color booklet about Greek Life, all councils and chapters. It's pretty big, at least 60 pages. I was in awe when I saw it.
2. They open registration for Spring FMR shortly after fall semester begins.
3. All registered women are placed on the Panhellenic listserv. Whenever a chapter has an event that is open to the whole community, (i.e. a philanthropy event, various programs, etc.) the chapter notifies Panhellenic, and the event is advertised on the listserv to all PNMs.

This listserv:
*Encourages PNMs and actives to get to know each other in an authentic manner.
*Shows the community what Greeks have to be proud of, the stuff that isn't dramaful enough to make the papers.
*Spreads the word to friends of registered women, who might decide to register themselves.
*Attracts quality women interested in more than just the social aspect of Greek Life.

Last edited by violetpretty; 01-06-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Some info about my school:

*Kent State- Main Campus
25,000 undegrads
like 3% Greek (fraternities included)
not competitive
total: 70 or 80

*6 NPC chapters and 1 local
Fall formal recruitment (mid-Sept)
Formal recruitment quota: usually anywhere from 15-20

*Some informal recruitment occurs in the fall for those sororities not at total after FMR.

*All sororities usually do some spring informal to fill openings left by December grads, transfers, etc.

A.) What does\did (if you graduated) Panhel do to help recruit more ladies to sign up for formal recruitment that you think is unique to your university?

We have a Panhellenic Brunch in August for girls to attend that are interested in sororities. The Greek Life Advisor and all the PXs are there and the girls get a chance to meet them and talk to them about life as sorority women. Every sorority has a table at the brunch and afterward, the girls can walk around and ask questions. Panhel Exec members are also on hand to register girls and give them schedules if they decide that day that they definitely want to go through.

B.) What is the one thing that is done at your university that helps get the most ladies to sign up for formal recruitment?

It sounds silly, but every sorority does "XYZ says Go Greek" chalking in different areas o campus an I can't tell you how many PNMS have told me that they decided to rush because they saw al the chalking and wanted to see what it was all about.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

THANK YOU a million times over for beginning this thread! These ideas are exactly what our Panhellenic needs. Our chapters have consistently had trouble meeting total, and national offices keep breathing down our necks that PNM numbers should be much higher. Our FMR total is usually around 13, and they want it to be at least 20.

We are having a consultation team come in about a month to "inspect" whats wrong with how the campus handles Greek Life and find solutions to help us get more women interested. Keep posting more things that I can bring to a leadership retreat we're having this weekend!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

the chapter i advised did the water bottle hand out for several years until panhellenic decided that that shouldn't be allowed. they also wore t-shirts that one of the sisters had designed that had a cute phrase about helping students move in. can't remember that tho. it seemed to be worth the effort.
i think that it impressed the parents and everyone appreciated the cold water on a hot day.

for those who think they might try this idea, you might want to directly contact some water companies, or pepsi or cocacola and see if you could buy the water bottles without the label(they did that one year and it made putting on the zta labels that much easier).
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Jacksonville University
3,400 Undergrads
Noncompetitive
13% Greek
4 NPC Sororities

We also pass out water bottles to the freshman girls during move-in. Also, we make shower hangers that have the recruitment schedule and how to sign up for recruitment on them, and put them in all of the freshman showers. We then have a series of information sessions where the girls can come and ask questions about sororities.
**Only the best girls wear pearls**
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

phi love-those shower cards are a great idea! do you know if it increased recruitment enrollment?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing that VATech Panhel GLOs do is have informal open houses during the fall semester ie TV nights like fraternities do. They are casual get-togethers, no invite or rsvp needed. Each house sponsors different nights of the month.

The George Washington University actually has a Panhel table set up during Admitted Students Days in April. Their rush is in the fall, about a month after classes have started. The admitted students and their parents pass right by it on the way to a briefing.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
phi love-those shower cards are a great idea! do you know if it increased recruitment enrollment?
It did actually, a lot of the girls said that it was one of the reasons they remembered to sign-up... it was a constant reminder!
**Only the best girls wear pearls**