GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,602
1 members and 1,601 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder why they wouldn't build in closets. That seems very weird to me. I'm trying to think of the multi-purpose value of not having closets, unless they think the long term value of the house, should the chapter close, is as a class room building. Still, it seems odd.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I wonder why they wouldn't build in closets. That seems very weird to me. I'm trying to think of the multi-purpose value of not having closets, unless they think the long term value of the house, should the chapter close, is as a class room building. Still, it seems odd.
As a mom of a daughter with a lot of clothes plus a roommate with a lot of clothes, I can't figure out where the heck the clothes are going to go. Not that they asked me but I would've preferred to lose a little living space in each room and add a closet - nothing fancy. I can't see an armoire being big enough. Oh, well.... the girls will learn to adjust.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

It could be that the use of armoires that are probably portable allows for more flexibility in the living spaces. My chapter house had closets that were about that size, and you just learned to adjust what you had in your closet. Some stuff went to the storage room if it wasn't needed, or it just went home.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It actually costs a lot of money to build closets the way they have to be now for access and code. And the armoires allow for moving the furniture around more in a room...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

While in Dubai I had to buy an armoire from Ikea because I hated that I didn't have a coat closet, even though I didn't need one. That "armoire" was huge. A normal person would use that as an element of an entire wall unit. If that's what they are providing, then I guess it isn't a problem. Also, interestingly, with a strong cart truck, the girls could roll their entire closet into their new room for the next semester, which would be a bonus. So maybe I've argued against my own point.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the armoires are 36 inches wide which seems kinda small to me. We have those vacuum bags at the ready so vacuum bags and other things will be her friend.

Regardless of the closet issue the house is grand on the outside and will be beautiful when completed. Girls are excited to go through formal recruitment in their own house.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

New house for Gamma Phi Beta - Gamma Chi at Texas State University

Click this link to view

- for SWTXBelle

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 04-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Bless you, Mary Poppins!

I was at the groundbreaking this Saturday. It's on 3 beautiful acres (keeping plenty of the oaks!) and will have retaining ponds, as it is on top of the Edwards Aquifer. It will have a full basement, AND there is a darling little cottage on the property which will be kept and refurbished to function as an executive conference center and possibly guest house. The house will sleep 40 girls and the housemother - is on the University bus route and within spitting distance of the stadium. People with long memories may remember initially we were going to be closer to campus and in a southwestern style to match the campus architecture. It would be FAR too difficult to build there - no parking, much smaller house, etc. - and so I am VERY happy with the new location and design. We are waiting on state approval and then we'll be building. All paperwork is submitted - fingers crossed.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-13-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Rendering of the new KD house at Bama, unveiled at their recent groundbreaking ceremony:

Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It actually costs a lot of money to build closets the way they have to be now for access and code.
I guess that's why I'm seeing a lot of closets with no doors?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

That would be it...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Updates on new houses at Arkansas.

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_5...a4bcf6878.html
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

ZBT (Beta Delta) Rutgers Chapter will be holding their ribbon cutting ceremony for the new chapter house on Monday. Unfortunately, the article does not show a picture of the house, however, I believe that the National website and facebook page does have the picture.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...raternity-home

ZBT:"BROTHERHOOD & BEYOND"
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

DEVODUDEZBT (Beta Delta) Rutgers Chapter will be holding their ribbon cutting ceremony for the new chapter house on Monday. Unfortunately, the article does not show a picture of the house, however, I believe that the National website and facebook page does have the picture.

Here is an updated article regarding the ribbon cutting ceremony that was held on Monday for the new ZBT chapter house @ Rutgers. This article does show the picture of the new house. Very nice!!!

http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/rib...beta-tau-home/

Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
DEVODUDEZBT (Beta Delta) Rutgers Chapter will be holding their ribbon cutting ceremony for the new chapter house on Monday. Unfortunately, the article does not show a picture of the house, however, I believe that the National website and facebook page does have the picture.

Here is an updated article regarding the ribbon cutting ceremony that was held on Monday for the new ZBT chapter house @ Rutgers. This article does show the picture of the new house. Very nice!!!

http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/rib...beta-tau-home/

Picture from the link. Very nice indeed.