GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,530
0 members and 2,530 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Arizona State University-Junior rush

Hello ladies (and fellas),
I’ll be transferring to Arizona State in the fall and I’m guessing I’d be considered a junior, but I’m not exactly sure. I’m very passionate about joining a sorority and experiencing all the wonderful joys as well as social experiences that sisterhood has to offer. So here’s my dilemma/story….I’ve already received a degree from another university. After doing some serious soul searching I realized that I wanted to go back to undergrad and complete a degree in a completely different field. I’d be at Arizona State for 3 years and I’m 24 years old (not that it really matters, but people think I’m 16, lol). I have a 3.9 undergrad GPA. I have no problem with relating to/hanging out with 17/18 year olds (age is just a number to me and I think I relate to a younger crowd much more). Although I have no issue with age, I’m not sure how the girls in the sorority would feel about it. I totally understand that I’m at a disadvantage considering my age, but do any of you lovely ladies think that I’d have a shot at getting a bid? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

24 is more than likely going to be seen as very strange and out of place in a traditional Greek system like Arizona State, but if you don't tell them, maybe it will go unnoticed. That is NOT to say you should lie; you shouldn't. But if you really do look much younger than your age and you don't mind the shenanigans of 18 year olds, then sure, give it a shot. Your collegiate status as a maybe junior is going to weigh harder on selection than your age, IMO. But hey, there's nothing lost in trying. Do keep in mind that if there are housing requirements, your age is not going to matter. If you do get into a house and they require you to live in at least one year, then you better be prepared to do just that with 50 or 60 hormonal boy-crazy freaking out 19-20 year olds AND follow the alcohol and men policies of the chapter house as well, even though you are well beyond the legal limit to drink.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that it would depend on each chapter's constitution/bylaws as to whether you'd meet the requirements for membership. You are not an undergraduate, because you've been awarded a Bachelor's degree already, correct? This is based on your statement that you've already received a degree from another university (and you didn't say an Associate's degree, which is awarded by a community/junior college). So, you are pursuing a second Bachelor's. You don't truly have "junior standing" in the traditional sense of the term; you may be only required to take X number of units to attain that second Bachelor's since you already have a Bachelor's, and have the gen ed coursework completed (probably will be given credit for that). That's a different scenario than being a 24 year old junior.

Hard to say what your overall chances are. Paging AXORushAdvisor, and asuadpi (don't think that's her name, too tired to look it up). We've got some other ASU folks on the board who might have something to say.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 04-06-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact the campus Greek Adviser to see if you are eligible to rush. If you have already been conferred with a BA, I don't think you will be eligible.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AZtheta! You're absolutely right about not having a traditional junior standing. I'm guessing you go to/did go to ASU? Is the Greek system at ASU really competitive and strict about adhering to the laws/regulations, by any chance?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

They are all strict about adhering to these kinds of regulations because the individual groups won't be able to pledge you if you don't meet their requirements. Your best bet is to talk to the GA on the ASU campus.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure there is an age limit when going through recruitment at ASU. We have had some older ladies go through in the past. The degree thing I'm not sure about?

Most groups I think will look at the information that is required to filled out on the application. Date of HS graduation and Previous colleges you have attended. There is also a question on how many college credits you have.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I think it would be challenging for you as a 24 year old. If you are able to participate I would. If nothing else you will get to meet new people and it would be an experience.

ASU's recruitment is getting more competitive each year. Not SEC competitive....yet I would be prepared with recommendations to each chapter. Most chapters will invite back to the first invitational round with a recommendation.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Contact the campus Greek Adviser to see if you are eligible to rush. If you have already been conferred with a BA, I don't think you will be eligible.
This is where I would start.

After that, follow Titchou's and AXOrushadvisor's advice. We don't have wiggle room in NPC laws/regulations - what would be the point of having them, otherwise?

I don't have anything else to say about ASU that's why I paged the ASU GCers for their recommendation(s).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of your input ladies. I really appreciate it! Just a quick question...Would I submit the recommendations to the sororities myself or would the recommenders submit their letter for me? if so, is there a website where I could find the individual addresses for for each sorority or an online service where the recommender can post the letter? Thanks guys!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The person writing the rec mails it. You never see it or handle once you give them your packet. And yes, you should supply a pre addressed envelope (flat not business size) with proper postage. You can most likely get the chapter's mailing address from the national organization's web site.