GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What happens if they don't listen to that? Do they get tossed out of rush?

I honestly think we need to know where she goes to school and what "informal" rush entails. And I will say again, if NPC is going to support different recruitment styles, they can't run them all like formal rush.

(Not shooting the messenger - just saying is all.)
It probably isn't hard to look at the invite the girl got and the chapters she listed. Even easier if it's on the computer. Just take out the ones she shouldn't have listed.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Ah! *lightbulb goes off at last* A PNM, in the early rounds, releases chapter PPP on her responses, BUT chapter PPP does not "release" her and would have invited her to another party(ies). Therefore, it's possible that Chapter PPP MIGHT extend PNM a "snap" bid if that scenario ever came to pass after Preference Night (I get how this works! YAY!). It does NOT work the other way, however (right?). This thread has been so educational for me in terms of so many details I never considered. Someone should write "recruitment rules for dummies" and I'll buy the first copy.
Correct. If a chapter cuts but the PNM does not (or lists them on her pref card ) she's not getting in. Snap bid or otherwise. Basically if she doesn't have a full invite list, she can know she's not getting in. If she does, she doesn't have a way to know if listing PPP on her pref card would work or not. But basically it won't. Snap bids don't have any relation to the bid card itself though.

/you're not wrong i'm mostly rambling now.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Correct. If a chapter cuts but the PNM does not (or lists them on her pref card ) she's not getting in. Snap bid or otherwise. Basically if she doesn't have a full invite list, she can know she's not getting in. If she does, she doesn't have a way to know if listing PPP on her pref card would work or not. But basically it won't. Snap bids don't have any relation to the bid card itself though.

/you're not wrong i'm mostly rambling now.
I thought if a woman wasn't invited to a party by XYZ (or didn't attend due to going to other parties), but faithfully attended all parties and maximized her options, she could be eligible for a snap bid from XYZ. Isn't this where flex lists and regrets come into play? Granted a woman may not want to accept a snap bid from XYZ if she chose not to attend parties previously, but it is a possibility, isn't it?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I think everyone is missing the obvious here: the OP said this semester was informal recruitment. Unless her school is super weird, informal recruitment does not entail an MRABA, bid matching, RFM, etc.

I find it interesting that a chapter not bound by the limits of RFM allegedly "really likes" a PNM that they did not invite to preference.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I think everyone is missing the obvious here: the OP said this semester was informal recruitment. Unless her school is super weird, informal recruitment does not entail an MRABA, bid matching, RFM, etc.

I find it interesting that a chapter not bound by the limits of RFM allegedly "really likes" a PNM that they did not invite to preference.
Aren't they still bound by quota/total/ceiling though? If there are only 12 spots, there are 30 interested women, and you are torn on 20, why invite the other 10?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Aren't they still bound by quota/total/ceiling though? If there are only 12 spots, there are 30 interested women, and you are torn on 20, why invite the other 10?
Yes, they are bound by total. However, you don't have to cut a specific number of women at any given time. To use your example, the chapter wasn't even "torn" on her to invite her to preference.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, they are bound by total. However, you don't have to cut a specific number of women at any given time. To use your example, the chapter wasn't even "torn" on her to invite her to preference.
That we know of, if I have the story right, her roommate said they wanted her. But we all know that story and how it can end. Unless the roommate is in the other group who never invited her.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That we know of, if I have the story right, her roommate said they wanted her. But we all know that story and how it can end. Unless the roommate is in the other group who never invited her.
Her roommate can not speak for the whole chapter. The chapter cut her when they didn't have to. Clearly, the chapter did not like her as much as the roommate says they did.

Last edited by violetpretty; 09-19-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Her roommate can not speak for the whole chapter. The chapter cut her when they didn't have to. Clearly, the chapter did not like her as much as the roommate.
That is exactly what I was getting at, a preference invite doesn't mean as much as some people think it does.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is exactly what I was getting at, a preference invite doesn't mean as much as some people think it does.
It means much more during formal recruitment. During informal, it doesn't mean as much, and the OP didn't even make it that far.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It means much more during formal recruitment. During informal, it doesn't mean as much, and the OP didn't even make it that far.
Doesn't this depend on the school? My chapter has not done informal while I've been a member, but the chapters here generally only invite girls to pref at informal if they're intent upon bidding them. If a chapter has 10 spots, they usually invites ten to pref, and then bid more if not all 10 accept the bids.

pi beta phi
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't fully agree. Preference invites can include legacy policies, courtesy invites, a woman that the chapter still isn't sure about. I read it as an invitation that could lead to a decision that may not be favorable to a PNM and as a result, not receiving a bid. Some other woman could really shine and be higher on a bid list, as we all know attending preference means the name is on a bid list in almost all situations, just not very high in some cases.

I think an informal pref. invite can mean more, as during formal RFM can increase the amount of invites, and there could be more room to get to know women and make a decision later. With informal you may already know them from class or see the PNM in action on campus instead of in a secluded no boys no parties formal environment.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 09-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't fully agree. Preference invites can include legacy policies, courtesy invites, a woman that the chapter still isn't sure about. I read it as an invitation that could lead to a decision that may not be favorable to a PNM and as a result, not receiving a bid. Some other woman could really shine and be higher on a bid list, as we all know attending preference means the name is on a bid list in almost all situations, just not very high in some cases.

I think an informal pref. invite can mean more, as during formal RFM can increase the amount of invites, and there could be more room to get to know women and make a decision later. With informal you may already know them from class or see the PNM in action on campus instead of in a secluded no boys no parties formal environment.
It depends on the informal process, yes. Sometimes the informal invite means you're getting a bid and sometimes it would mean less.

However formal pref invites must be on their bid list and bid lists are 2-3x quota generally (assuming 2 or 3 pref parties). But you don't put women on the list unless you want them. (Or you know, you're doing it wrong)
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, if you invite a woman to pref, she is on your bid list. So there is no "make a decision later". You are willing to have her join your chapter.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, if you invite a woman to pref, she is on your bid list. So there is no "make a decision later". You are willing to have her join your chapter.
Generally yes. However if you are in a chapter where almost everyone who prefs you will put you as their number one choice, you know you're not going to get anywhere near the bottom of your bid list. Sometimes it's easier to invite someone to pref for political or other reasons. You are willing to take her, but know the chances of that really happening are very low.