GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,175
1 members and 1,174 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2008, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyinpearlss View Post
If you are no longer giving advice to prospects/ or answering questions thats fine, but when a question arises and it is answered in such a demeaning way...that is not ok.
No, it's totally ok. Because you're an idiot. We should take bets on how soon after your rush you start posting questions about how to start a colony.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
As the mother of a daughter your age, and as a Jewish woman (without a "Jewish" last name) who went through rush at a time when Jews only were invited to a "Jewish" house I will try and answer your question.

If you a so inclined to exclude a house simply because it is historically Jewish (or mostly Jewish) wear a cross. I imagine that the sisters at that house (or houses) would get your message very quickly. If a house excludes you because of your name (at least in your mind) then you must ask yourself if that is a house that you want. If the answer is, Yes, I want to be part of a house (if they still exist) that would exclude my mother or grandmother because of their religion or suspicion of a religious affiliation...why? You will always be watched for "signs" of being Jewish. And that isn't sisterhood.
Ellebud, thank you for adding your opinion to this thread. Your perspective is so important to this woman's genuine concern regarding discrimination. You are able to relate to the experience of sorority recruitment as it relates to Jewish (or possibly-Jewish) women and Jewish (or not exclusively Jewish) sororities. It probably helped her, and if it didn't, it will help other prospective sorority members who will have the same question in the future. Mothers, aunts, grandmothers will continue to share their sorority stories for years to come, and the biases of yesteryear will be the fears of tomorrow's prospective sorority members.

Wouldn't it be nice of the responses to this OP were stories of what it is or was like on different campuses? For example, if you are a current sorority member, which religion is most largely represented in your chapter? What is the "norm" on your campus?

Lovelyinpearlss, thank you for coming to GreekChat to openly express your concern. If you can practice ignoring the posts that offend you, and focusing on the helpful posts, you will find an absolute wealth of resources here. There are countless intelligent, articulate, well-mannered members who can give you good advice. Good luck with sorority recruitment!

~*~
SureSister ~*~

Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I would imagine you have that concern because either: a) you're going to a very big, traditional and/or Southern school where that kind of shit still matters or b) the people who told you that are complete idiots.

The Deephers and PhiSigs on my campus aren't very Jewish, if at all. (DPhiE started off as a Jewish sorority and PhiSig was founded by Jewish girls as a non-sectarian sorority). There are more Jewish girls in another group than either of those two.

Anyway, my point is that nowadays in most places it doesn't really matter what religion you may, or may not, belong to. At least not to the point of you getting blackballed because of your last name.

ETA:
Quote:
I have been hearing from various people not affiliated with greek life ...
Nevermind. That solves it all.

Last edited by PANTHERTEKE; 12-01-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 AM

If a group cuts you because they think you're Jewish, they're obviously a bunch of snobby bigoted bitches.

However, if that group of snobby bigoted bitches is where you want to be, do as ellebud said and wear a cross.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
No, it's totally ok. Because you're an idiot. We should take bets on how soon after your rush you start posting questions about how to start a colony.
That was way out of line.

OP: While I see why some people think this is a silly question, I have to say that considering your aunt WAS discriminated against for this very reason, I understand exactly why you are asking. All we can say is that no, you will probably not be dropped because of your name - very few, if any, campuses follow those procedures any more.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
that considering your aunt WAS discriminated against for this very reason,
And we know that how?

Membership selection is secret. For all we know, the aunt could have been a douchebag.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Membership selection criteria have probably changed somewhat over the last 2-3 decades. Even if the story is true, it's pretty easily dismissible.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureSister View Post
Ellebud, thank you for adding your opinion to this thread. Your perspective is so important to this woman's genuine concern regarding discrimination. You are able to relate to the experience of sorority recruitment as it relates to Jewish (or possibly-Jewish) women and Jewish (or not exclusively Jewish) sororities. It probably helped her, and if it didn't, it will help other prospective sorority members who will have the same question in the future. Mothers, aunts, grandmothers will continue to share their sorority stories for years to come, and the biases of yesteryear will be the fears of tomorrow's prospective sorority members.

Wouldn't it be nice of the responses to this OP were stories of what it is or was like on different campuses? For example, if you are a current sorority member, which religion is most largely represented in your chapter? What is the "norm" on your campus?

Lovelyinpearlss, thank you for coming to GreekChat to openly express your concern. If you can practice ignoring the posts that offend you, and focusing on the helpful posts, you will find an absolute wealth of resources here. There are countless intelligent, articulate, well-mannered members who can give you good advice. Good luck with sorority recruitment!
Passive aggressive.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Passive aggressive.
Actually, passive spamming for her stupid blog.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

LOL....
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
And we know that how?

Membership selection is secret. For all we know, the aunt could have been a douchebag.

It's pretty well known that 30 to 40 years ago, it WAS a big deal to have a Jewish name. Many of the retro recruitment stories on this site that I've read have mentioned this in detail. Stay in your lane.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

She said 20 years ago, bitch. Stay in yours.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
She said 20 years ago, bitch. Stay in yours.
This is my lane. I don't recall you being a member of an NPC sorority.

I don't see the reason for name-calling, either.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO.... I'm sure some of your NPC sisters wouldn't consider you being in their lane either.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

Welp...there's a reason that some NPCers don't like membership questions to be asked on here.