GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,421
2 members and 1,419 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

And then there are those of us who wait until we are over 40, when family and friends have all lost hope-- that's OK. I did this, and my brother got married 14 months ago at the age of 48. His first child was just born (several months before he tuns 50). His wife is 12 years younger than he is.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I just turned 31, and my bf will turn 42 in February, and we're just getting to the point where we'll probably be engaged soon. I feel like it's perfect timing for me. All of my friends got married in their upper 20s after dating their SOs for many years. The only people I've known that got married in college were LDS; and my chapter only had one candlepass in my four years of college. I thank God every day that I did not marry the southern "gentleman" who was my college boyfriend!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
I have posted almost this exact thing in another thread.
That's because we are -------> HERE <--------

(How's the baby???? )
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
One of them was engaged after her first year of college, she left to marry her fiance and live with him in Virginia (he was in the Navy and was stationed there), and they were divorced within 2 years.
One of the reasons I have drilled into my stepson DO NOT get married until you are at least 25...it is even better if both partners are at least 25. I know had I gotten married to my college sweetheart, we would have been divorced by now

I got married in my mid 30s. DH was in his early 40s (this is his second marriage)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I cannot figure out how to post a poll so please just respond.
In your culture or region what age is appropriate for marriage?
before-18
18-20
20-25
25-30
30+
I don't think age should matter as long as the couple are two responsible adults. It's not the age that determines what's appropriate. What it boils down to is a lot of couples younger and older enter into marriage with high expectations and low preparation, regardless of age. It's the conflicting expectations that are the source of most unhappiness in marriage. Also, men and women fail to recognize the differences between the sexes. IMO, marriage should be entered into only if you are 100% desirous of making a vow before God to love the person who is standing by your side regardless of age.
Romans 1:16
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I also find that the girls who got married right after HS were divorced within two years and left with typically 2 kids. They then became the "socially awkward 22 year old divorcee" who parties like I did when I was 18 (because her social growth is a bit stunted).

I just friended a HS classmate on Facebook who just got divorced. She got married within a year of graduation (to a church guy, I believe), and now she's got 2 kids. Dude, as much as I party (and I'm hungover right now), I think she's got me beat. It's fine for me because I don't have kids.

I think I've mentioned this a few times elsewhere on the site, but where I grew up, most people got married between 21-24. A lot of the girls I grew up went to strict Christian colleges and ended up getting married while they were still in college. As far as college friends go, none of my close friends have gotten married. A few acquaintances have started families, and some of my chapter sisters are married now. We'll see how it pans out.

I would like to be on the path to marriage, or married, around my 30th birthday because I want to start having children before I'm 35. I've seen all of the stuff that women over 35 have to go through to get pregnant, and all the stuff they have to go through when they actually do get pregnant. I don't want to go through that.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I got married at 21, got pregnant with my oldest 2 months later, and had a 6 week old on our first anniversary

But, it worked out, we are going on 25 years of marriage come December!

My oldest is now engaged and getting married in June. He is 23, which I think is young. He reminds me of my age (of course), but to me it's different (of course). But, he has been totally self supporting for over a year, working as a manager at a club, while he finishes his degree; his fiance has gotten her masters and is working full time, so they feel that they are responsible and ready.

Honestly, I've been through the seven stages of grief, through sadness, denial, and anger, but I'm now at acceptance. They will have to figure things out on their own, just like my husband and I did.

It's not easy getting married young, but for some it works out.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
When you're both ready.

Marriages fail with couples of all ages. There isn't a perfect age. I have a friend whose parents got married at 17, and they're still married and happy almost 30 years later. My aunt's been married in her 20s, 30s, and now she just got remarried again in her 40s for the 4th time, and we'll see how long this one lasts.
I agree. I got married young and now I'm divorced. I don't believe it was because we were too young. It was because we hadn't a clue what marriage was really about. We thought we were both ready but we weren't.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep reading the title of this thread as "Mawwiage Act."

It's messin' with my melon.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
I have to ask, is it common for women in N. Texas to get married super early? My SIL moved out there a couple years ago and is having a hard time finding men to date in her age range as most have already been married with or without kids. She's 27 and never been married...she says they all seem shocked that she's not already been married at her age.

Crap, I got married at 29 almost 30...so we know I am out of the "norm" for a good part of the country.
I can't speak for all of N. Tx, but most of my friends got married or will be married before they are 26. Most of them marry a year or two out of college.

I'm 26, going on 27 and can't imagine being married. If I had married my college sweetheart, I am certain we would be divorced by now.

I'd have to agree that it's hard finding guys in my age range that aren't or haven't been married. They seem either way too young, or way too old
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I can't speak for all of N. Tx, but most of my friends got married or will be married before they are 26. Most of them marry a year or two out of college.

I'm 26, going on 27 and can't imagine being married. If I had married my college sweetheart, I am certain we would be divorced by now.

I'd have to agree that it's hard finding guys in my age range that aren't or haven't been married. They seem either way too young, or way too old

Thanks...and I stand corrected my SIL is 28. An old maid by some standards.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
I keep reading the title of this thread as "Mawwiage Act."

It's messin' with my melon.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I cannot figure out how to post a poll so please just respond. In your culture or region what age is appropriate for marriage?
before-18
18-20
20-25
25-30
30+
18-20 is probably where most Oklahomans pick up their first ex-wife/husband. If you're not married here by the ripe age of 22 or so, you're an old maid.

Educated folks tend to take longer to get married and have children though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

In my family/ group of friends it's late twenties.
Where I currently live I believe the average is 30 for women and 31 for men.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

9 facts about marriage and childbirth in the United States:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...united-states/

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-09-2014 at 05:25 PM.