GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,382
0 members and 1,382 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

More Black students joining Latino Greek organizations

An interesting, yet not surprising pattern, good read!

http://www.blackenterprise.com/Exclu...en.asp?id=1949

Latin Greek Organizations Attracting Blacks
Some choose a different path to find a home

By Topher Sanders

October 30, 2006 -- Quashawn Williams knew Omega Psi Phi was the fraternity for him. After all, he had family members who were already a part of the historically black fraternity.

But when Williams, now 26, went to an Omega informational in 1997 at Montclair State University in New Jersey, he didn’t like what he was told.

"They told me I had to bring chicken and beer to the interest meeting," he says. That experience made Williams gravitate toward Lambda Theta Phi, a Latino fraternity.

"When I went to the Lambda Theta Phi interest meeting they were like ‘just bring yourself, we’re providing you with things,’" says Williams, who joined the fraternity in spring of 1998. "That’s a big difference."

His decision is becoming more common as an increasing number of black college students are joining historically Latino Greek organizations. An exact number is tough to pinpoint, but Ruby Hernandez Alvarado, chair of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations Inc., estimates that blacks now make up about 10% of the membership of Latino fraternities and sororities.

Many Latino Greek organizations were founded by students with ties to countries in Central and South America. The diversity already present within Latin culture makes many Latino Greek organizations interested in multiculturalism, Alvarado says. So it’s easy to see how diversity could remain a focal point for many historically Latino groups, she explains. The fact that black students are joining their ranks, Alvarado says, is merely a case of students finding the right connection.

"I think it's really just them trying to find a group that they are feeling a strong family connection with," says Alvarado.

Once members, some black students find that there’s so much diversity in Latin organizations that they easily fit in.

"On my line there was an Egyptian, a Korean, an African American, a brother from Ghana, and four Hispanics," says Williams. "You couldn’t even tell it was a Latin fraternity when I was in school. Even the Hispanic brothers were dark, so we were just a bunch of dark-skinned brothers."

Jennifer Kamara with her sorority sisters, Zahir Diaz and Tiffany Brutus at a party hosted by her sorority and another Latino based sorority, Sigma Iota Alpha.

Black students with Caribbean roots may feel a particular bond to Latino organizations, Hernandez says.

"A lot of the island countries do have a strong Hispanic or Latino heritage behind them and I think some people are able to see some of their own traditions in those Latino Greek fraternities or sororities," Alvarado says.

Leiaka Welcome, 21, a senior at Midwestern State University, in Wichita Falls, Texas, didn’t see her decision to pledge Latin sorority Kappa Delta Chi as an odd choice. Welcome is from Trinidad. Her second language is Spanish.

"The kind of person I’ve grown up to be, coming from the islands, I’ve always been exposed to a lot of different cultures. So for me it didn’t seem unnatural," she says.

Welcome says she wasn’t interested in sorority life until she met the young women who would eventually become her Kappa Delta Chi sisters.

"The reason I got into my sorority is because I met the girls at an interest meeting and they were different in terms of explaining everything and just trying to make you feel welcome," she says.

Still, the reaction she’s gotten from some family members about her choice may be an indication that not everyone has embraced this trend. Some of her cousins are members of traditionally black sororities, including Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta. She says she is often asked about her Greek choice when she visits friends and family.

"When I get back to the East Coast and I’m wearing my Greek letters they say ‘So, what sorority are you in?’ When I tell them it’s Latino-based, they say ‘Interesting’," she says with a laugh.

Michael Bowie, national president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the organization that represents the nine largest black fraternities and sororities, says he’s not surprised that some black students are joining Latino Greek organizations.

"I think as students are beginning to go to different colleges they are realizing that there are more options out there," Bowie says. "Many of the Latino fraternal organizations have opened up their doors and in today’s society that (speaks to) multiculturalism and diversity and it’s encouraged. In fact, many have looked at our organizations as traditionally African American organizations, but we too have become diverse as well with students who are Latino and Caucasian."

Williams says he doesn’t think Latino fraternities and sororities are more inclusive than black organizations, instead, he says that all of the historically Latino and black Greek organizations have a desire to boost numbers.

"I wouldn’t say that Latin organizations are more accepting," he says. "I think every organization is accepting to a degree because everybody wants more brothers."

But Jennifer Kamara had a different experience. Kamara, now 23, pledged Latino sorority Omega Phi Beta at Cornell University in the spring of 2004. She says she found her sisters more open than those who belonged to black Greek organizations.

"The other Greeks weren’t really very open, it was more like you had to know someone to even find out when the informational was," says Kamara whose father is from Sierra Leone and her mother is from Nigeria.

Kamara says she decided to pledge Omega Phi Beta because of the group’s commitment to learning about culture.

"I really wanted an organization that was focused on culture and learning about your roots," she says. "And I started doing my research and found the Website for Omega Phi Beta and thought they had a real dedication to learning about where you come from and appreciating all cultures."

When choosing a fraternity or sorority, race shouldn’t be a consideration, Welcome says.

"I never thought of it as being a black person in a Latino organization," she says. "I just thought of it as being in a group with nine other really great girls. We all just look at each other as sisters."

Copyright © 2006 Earl G. Graves, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-10-2006, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

like you said, interesting, but not all that surprising.

for randomness' sake, can i say that asian greeks are sticking to their own orgs? while im sure all of our orgs have some asian members, can i conclude that asians are least likely to seek an org outside their own (off the top aKDP, KPL, LPhiE)?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quashawn?

Shoot me.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWicked View Post

"They told me I had to bring chicken and beer to the interest meeting," he says.
Are you kidding? This has to be a joke.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
like you said, interesting, but not all that surprising.

for randomness' sake, can i say that asian greeks are sticking to their own orgs? while im sure all of our orgs have some asian members, can i conclude that asians are least likely to seek an org outside their own (off the top aKDP, KPL, LPhiE)?
think alot has to do with Blacks and latinos growing up together, I know growing up and going to elementary schoos where the population was 96% latino, the Black students really had to befriend their Latino classmates. Alot of dominantly Black schools also have a good number of Latinos attending, that crosses over to College life, especially if someone attends a PWI.

I don't know what to say about Asian students, most I know join Mainstream orgs, we do have ONE Asian Interest Org on campus, and many Asian freshmen automatically look at that org than other minority GLO's. Again alot has to do with pre-collegiate interaction.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 AM

There was a girl on here a while ago who was going to pledge or pledged an Asian-interest sorority, then dropped and joined an NPC group. tld221, she pretty much confirmed what you said - that the Asian Greek scene is very insular and everyone in it knows everyone else.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if we have Asian GLO's, unless you count Lambda Chi?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 AM

/hijack/

I remember, a few years ago, reading an article in USAToday. They talked about many of the historical Black colleges recruiting Hispanics to play on their baseball teams.

This thread made me think of that.

/end of hijack/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I would argue that Asians who are least culturally assimilated are more likely to join AGLOs. They still closely identify with Asian culture and want to be surrounded by others who identify.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
think alot has to do with Blacks and latinos growing up together, I know growing up and going to elementary schoos where the population was 96% latino, the Black students really had to befriend their Latino classmates. Alot of dominantly Black schools also have a good number of Latinos attending, that crosses over to College life, especially if someone attends a PWI.
This must be regional.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I would argue that Asians who are least culturally assimilated are more likely to join AGLOs. They still closely identify with Asian culture and want to be surrounded by others who identify.
I don't know that I would argue this. My best friend is Vietnamese (first generation american) and she never even looked into anything other than NPC sororities. She is super preppy and is in love with all things sorority. I don't think she ever regretted joining the NPC.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
This must be regional.

I don't think so, I saw this ALOT at NY, and I am speaking coming from a Chicago upbringing, which everyone knows is a very segregated city.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufdale View Post
I don't know that I would argue this. My best friend is Vietnamese (first generation american) and she never even looked into anything other than NPC sororities. She is super preppy and is in love with all things sorority. I don't think she ever regretted joining the NPC.

My post is a generalization so your friend doesn't refute my point.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think so, I saw this ALOT at NY, and I am speaking coming from a Chicago upbringing, which everyone knows is a very segregated city.
It's about cities with large immigrant populations. Such cities are generally found in certain regions of the country.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

how do you take cities in the SW and NY, Latino-wise, share more 2nd,3rd, 4th generation Latinos being grouped with Blacks, living in the same neighborhoods? Immigration populations aren't always the determining factor, alot has to do with second class citizenship