GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,446
1 members and 1,445 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
)Soror Zeta Ace...another strong argument..Go Kitty!)

Steve, You are a little bit behind in your current events. But its probably not an issue that you would be interested in anyway. There was no reference to an electrical blackout.

Moving on, the reason you don't feel it necessary to "identify" so to speak with a people is because "your people" were probably not enslaved and uprooted from their homeland, and forced to learn a language not familiar to them and separated from their families by shackles and chains while placed in the bottom of a ship stacked and packed liked sardines for months at a time while being forced to eat slop and live in their own feces. No, I don't hold you personally responsible...but hopefully you get the picture.

Before you say it... Some of "my people" are of NATIVE American decent...and some of them are not. My people is a reference to your decendants...a part of Native American and African culture that is EXTREMELY important. For me to deny my people, the kings and queens and the chiefs and the workers would be considered criminal...amongst my "people".

Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas:
What is that supposed to mean? They're called blackouts because the power goes out, including the lights, leaving the room dark, or black.

I don't have my own "people" and was just wondering if you could get that at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Seriously though, I never hear of white people saying "my people" unless they are radicals. I notice that other ethnicities use it all the time. Just curious.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Finer Woman10-A-91 (edited June 27, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2000, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Corbin Dallis (Steve),

Please give informed responses from now on and don't make light of that which you don't understand. What Lady in Red refers to as brownouts and blackouts is the boycotting by African Americans of certain networks due to lack of programming that center around our experiences.

Now, if you still want to be offended by white out and liquid ink, be my guest.

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old 06-27-2000, 06:00 PM
Lady in red

Thanks Skee Bunny. Im glad some of us follow the news.

As far as "my story" goes, well, we all have our stories. In the best of circumstances you go where your heart takes you and where you are really comfortable. My heart took me to an organization specifically dedicated to servicing my community. Would I be doing that if I were a Tri-delt? No.One of my organization's focuses is black women and mental health in lieu of the stigma depression has in black communities. Would that have been the case if I'd joined Delta Gamma? NO. BGLOS spoke to me in a way GLOS could not. Remember BGLOS arent just social organizations. They were founded in response to the pressing needs of black people in the U.S. There is no substitute for that as far as Im concerned. Similarly, my very good friend, who I thought would have been my line sister, decided she wanted to join a Latina sorority, because they were addressing issues important to her, that BGLOS werent.

I dont know if you've ever known what its like to be apart of something vast and great. To really know that feeling intimately, not something abstract like oh we're all part of the human race. I feel it all the time, when I think of myself as a black woman, when I think of myself as a West Indian. And that pride, that immense passion expresses itself in terms like my people. Unless you've felt that kind of connection, it's difficult to explain.

Old 06-27-2000, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Finer Woman-10-A-91,

I couldn't have EVER said it better, myself.

SkeeBunny,

Thank you.

I thought Corbin Dallas (Steve) ws playing. Should I say I chose to want to believe he was.

Old 06-27-2000, 07:10 PM
keekee

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
I wasn't going to post because I could "appreciate" the dialogue between Zeta-Ace and L-Dawg. But keekee, I don't understand why you have to call the dialogue a "mess." There are MUCH messier topics on this board than this one, I guarantee. You wanna see a mess go to the one about white women and black men. It has like 135 posts as of now. I think both people were very respectful of one another's opinions. If L-Dawg just wanted to "state his observation" without a response, then he wouldn't have posted here. How dare you say what is "needed" in MY Sorority. And if so much division was created then why are ther people of ALL reces representing within my and other B yes BGLOs? I am "up in arms" as you so wrongly accused others of being. Naw, you wrongly accused Zeta Ace for being (I think your post was obviously slanted in favor of the L-Dawg arguement).
yes I thought it was obvious that I was in favor of L-Dawg's argument. It did appear as though BOTH sides were getting very defensive as topics of racial issues can cause. This is evident by the fact that ZetaAce specifically told L Dawg to "settle down" I just can't stand when people get extremely defensive in topics of race. I do agree with L Dawg and you know what? I do dare say what I think...it's my opinion

Old 06-27-2000, 07:19 PM
girl

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing "my story" I think it added some really good points that I'd like to see addressed more in this debate as oppossed to being brushed aside.
Old 06-27-2000, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa!!!!!!

I must confess that this has been very educational. I must that there are still people who have closed-minds due to ignorance. It is good that we are discussing topics like this to educate and find what people are really thinking.
Old 06-27-2000, 08:11 PM
Artimis

Quote:
Originally posted by butterrfly:
I guess you could call me a minority ...because I am a woman. Allow me to explain. When I was in college, I was only one of a few women working on a B.S. in Chemistry. [SNIP]I didn't want to win a scholarship just because I was an outstanding "female" student. I wanted to win a scholarship because I was an outstanding student PERIOD!

Does that make sense to anyone else?
To a degree I agree with you, To another I don't...

Being an engineer, I too was a female minority in my classes. On average only 15-20% of a class was female. And I had several classes where I was the only female. I never wanted to be given any special treatment because I was female. I resented one of my scholarship had a graduated scale (Group X had to score amount alpha, Group Y = alpha+2, and Group Z = alpha+4 for the same scholarship) and that because I was female they assumed I shouldn't do as well as a male counterpart. At my first job, I shared a phone with a male co-worker. By the tone in people's voice, many thought I was a secretary - and to me that was infuriating!

Woman are slowly infiltrating the science world - adding their own point of view. But over the course of my college and my few years out - I learned an opperunity is an opperunity. I'm not saying to manipulate the system. But I doubt I would have turned my back on the scholarship. Many times scholarships like outstanding female are established because someone donated money to that cause because they saw a need for it. I've thought about several times (given when i have the funds) to donate money back to my university for a female aerospace engineer.

Such is a fine line - to be just one of the guys and yet maintain your feminite wiles. My sisterhood promotes women in technical fields. Many technical women feel they have to go the journey through college, the work force alone. And we don't. Amazingly enough, others exist in the same frame of mind with a "nasty" independant streak. While we know we can if we have to - Why should we?

---
With regards to some of the other posts -

* Until one does research (including reading forums like Greekchat) or asks questions, the NPHC brother/sisterhoods do have the perception of being only black. I know I had such a misconception.

* With regards to refering to NPC/IFC brother/sisterhoods as WGLO's - to a degree I'm somewhat miffed (Offended is to strong a word for it). Mostly because in the initial years of many NPC sororites some biases did exist against other caucaisans based on religion and heritage.

* ZetaAce: Have a question - In an initial post on this thread, you made the reference that blacks were not a minority. I wanted to know frame of reference you were using. Mostly because with news reports from this last census, I heard that that the census bureau was estimating that blacks were no longer going to be the major-minority in the United States. And it was followed by that the Hispanic population was to be considered the major-minority at a percentage of 15-20. I don't remeber the number. Does anyone know if the census has any data published yet?

Old 06-27-2000, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Soror ZetaAce, I hope you don't mind me replying...I replied to this same issue.

Artimis,
The USA is but a blink in terms of the WORLD view of people of color( which people of African American...in the classic sense are included) My initial response spoke to this proliferation of thought patterns amongst Americans. We continue to believe that people of European decent are the majority, which they are not....more on that later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Artimis:

* ZetaAce: Have a question - In an initial post on this thread, you made the reference that blacks were not a minority. I wanted to know frame of reference you were using. Mostly because with news reports from this last census, I heard that that the census bureau was estimating that blacks were no longer going to be the major-minority in the United States. And it was followed by that the Hispanic population was to be considered the major-minority at a percentage of 15-20. I don't remeber the number. Does anyone know if the census has any data published yet?

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-28-2000, 12:15 AM
Artimis

Quote:
Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91:

The USA is but a blink in terms of the WORLD view of people of color( which people of African American...in the classic sense are included) My initial response spoke to this proliferation of thought patterns amongst Americans. We continue to believe that people of European decent are the majority, which they are not....more on that later.
[/B]
Thanks. Just wanted a point of reference. I would actually wager to say that few people account for other regions of the US outside of thier own experiences. The census report actually caught me by suprise. I know if someone had asked me what % of the US population was black. I probably would have given an answer that was higher then 30. But I've lived most of my life in the mid-south.

When I initially read the statement, I assumed the reference was world-wide, but I wanted to be certain. I would be interested if you had any figures on world population - or of a site.

I know another point of reference that leaves most US citizens bewildered is when they're reminded that Christianity all lumped together is the 3rd largest religon (It might be 4th - I don't remeber).

Old 06-28-2000, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

ZetaAce I feel that you have made yourself very clear in your opinons that you have posted on the board. L-Dawg, I feel as though you want the "B" in BGLO to be removed because you feel that individuals who may not be black will be intimidated or discouraged to inquire about the organization because of the "B" in BGLO. If the "B" in BGLO is what's bothering you so much, I think you should maybe look at the bigger picture. Like ZetaAce stated the "BGLO" is just an unofficial term. If the person who might want to join the organization is so concerned about the "B" maybe they should not join the organization. Black Greek Letter Organizations are derived from a very rich history. I feel that the "B"is just an acknowledgement of the past, that's all. I feel that there are more things to be concerened about rather than the "B" in BGLO. BGLO are primarily about community service. If an individual, whether black or of any other race, has always had an interest in community service and has done their research about the organization they should attempt to join that sorority. L-Dawg if you look closer at different chapters of BGLOs you will see a very diverse population of members across campuses. Eleanor Roosevelt is an honorary menber of a "BGLO", Alpha Kappa Alpha. She obviously was not concerned with the "B" and neither was Alpha Kappa Alpha.

****Sorry for such a long reply.
Old 06-28-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

EXCUSE MY MISTAKE: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 06-28-2000, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Soror, you know I don't mind you responding.

Artimis- She took the words out of my mouth!

ZetaAce
Old 06-28-2000, 08:05 AM
L-Dawg

I appreciate everyone's responses. For the most part, they were all well stated and argued. I know this is an issue that will never come to a "conclusion," but I have definitely learned a lot. Whereas, I still think others may view the B in BGLO as a defining, separating term, I have learned and respect what others believe that it stands for and represents. I know some of the sentences in my original post were not chosen well, but I'm glad ZetaAce and I had the discussion we did. I do not; however, think that I am uneducated and on a "soapbox." My opinions are coming from someone who is not a part of a BGLO, and ZetaAce's were coming from someone who was, of course I was not as informed of the BGLO as she was. I think that we had an intelligent and respectful, though a little tense at times:-), debate. I think it is unfair to tell me to "get off my soapbox and go to class" just because you do not agree with me. It is possible for some people to have a discussion without insulting the other person. In no way were my responses ignorant or unintelligent.
Old 06-28-2000, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

that's my girl L-Dawg!! Great job and great responses "you go"...hahaha

Amanda
Closed Thread