GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,412
1 members and 1,411 guests
Titchou

Old 05-27-2000, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
PrettyGirl, I don't think that would be the scenario. Although originally (and I know someone has already said this) we could not join predominately white sororities and fraternities, we can now, if we choose to. And, there are those of us who do. Just as we don't expect them to discriminate against those of us that join GLOs, we shouldn't discriminate either. Everyone will have their own opinions on this, and there are those of us who will never agree on this issue, but I personally do not have a problem with non African Americans that join BGLOs.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-28-2000, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Well........everyone is titled to their own opinion. At my school there are no whites in any of the bglos on the yard. As I have stated in other post I am going to attempt my journey into greekland in the new school year. If I am honered with a selection I must say in all the years I live and serve the sorority I chose I would not EVER vote for a white girl to become a part of it. If I was to run into a white girl that was a member I would not say bad things to her or be ouright rude nor would i question her sisterhood or devotion to the sorority but at the same time I just would not feel the same love for her as I would with a black woman. I DO NOT HATE WHITE PEOPLE AS I SAID BEFORE, I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO DEAL WITH them IF I DO NOT HAVE TO! i CHOOSE NOT TO FORM CLOSE ASSOCIATIONS WITH THEM(SUCH AS A BOYFRIEND) I know that Blacks join glos and hell i am sure some white people question that as i do. I mean if it is really okay for this to happen then why even bother with the distinction at all. Why not consider all of them as just glos. Why separate them and even call them bglos when there are white people in them? Why do they have separate councils Hence:PHC AND NPHC! I mean some preach the intergration of them yet they are still it most ways seprated in most things they do. What makes a white person want to join a bglo(or vice versa) in th efirst place? (as opposed to a glo) What happens to the bglos when white people begin to join in large numbers? What happens if there are more of them than of you? What happens when they begin to hold offices such as president? Wouldn't that change the way they are run? It can happen! I know that the founders of the bglos never intended for a White person to join their orgs. much less be president. This is possible if they continue to join. I mean some things are best left as is every part of our lives does not have to be intergrated. What can we have that is our own anymore? Is intergration really better? Or is just the things we now have access to that is better? Imagine if we were segregated completely from white people again except we had all the things they had still (good jobs and schools etc.) How many of you would really want to go and be with them. I beleive that it is not white people we want to be closer to it is access to a equal chance at life period! Since WE still do not have that at all why is everyone so okay with them having access to the few things we started for ourselves. It is not racism for us to want to keep the few things we have to just us it is just pride and the good feeling of us having something of our own. TO ANY WHITE PERSON WHO READS THIS AND SAYS WELL IF WE WANTED TO KEEP CERTAIN THINGS TO OURSELVES WE WOULD BE CALLED RACIST...........I SAY TO ME THAT IS NOT TRUE! I could give a dam careless if white people did not want me to join their org.! We had to go through so much to gain memebership into their glos(and everyhthing else they controlled) why are we always so dam accepting of them in our shit? These are just my feelings. I will never change the way I feel about topics such as this no matter what anyone says. I am not trying to change anyone else feeling s either. I have always felt this way and my feelings have only grown stronger as I have grown up in this world! To Ghostface: I do not know what your nationality is but there are so amny other minorities who have and are suffering at the hands of white people. The ques. was asked about white people. My feelings are exspressed about them. You say you are not black but that does not mean you are white. There was a comment made about Jewish people and also and Italian. With all due respect to those nationalties in most situations today WHITE IS WHITE!!!!!!!! Much love to all my people of color! REMEMBER "OLD HABITS NEVER DIE"
Old 05-28-2000, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

sorry for the typos , but it is late as hell!
Old 05-28-2000, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

"Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
Be color blind, don't be so shallow."

En Vouge
Old 05-29-2000, 04:05 PM
Greek

Prettygyrl-
I really hope the sorors at your school know the way you truly are. You are not even a member of a sorority and yet you have already decided who you will let in? That is truly shallow and NOT what the greek community stands for. You really need to grow up and learn to accept people. I'm sure you are going to go into sorority recruitment hoping to be accepted by a sorority that you will fit into. What if the sorors have already decided that they don't like you based on your skin shade, or choice in roommates or some other stupid basis? You would be pretty mad that they judged you before meeting you. Your type of attitude is not needed in a greek organization. I hope that you don't treat people in person the way you talk about them on an anonymous chat board.
Old 05-29-2000, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

My sands is white....he was the rock of our line back in 97.
Old 05-29-2000, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I agree with the whole shallow bit. How dare you criticize who will and who will not be picked up? You dont need to be picked up thwe way your mindset is. How are you going to handle the pressure of being in a greek lettered organization when you dont have the open mindset about skin color....If i was the vote committee..you will get the rock. Oh yeah, the rock is something that we in the organizations give to people who display immarturity, disrespect, or any other bull that will hender the progress of our people.
Old 05-29-2000, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Prettygyrl

I agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Originally posted by prettygyrl:
Well........everyone is titled to their own opinion. At my school there are no whites in any of the bglos on the yard. As I have stated in other post I am going to attempt my journey into greekland in the new school year. If I am honered with a selection I must say in all the years I live and serve the sorority I chose I would not EVER vote for a white girl to become a part of it. If I was to run into a white girl that was a member I would not say bad things to her or be ouright rude nor would i question her sisterhood or devotion to the sorority but at the same time I just would not feel the same love for her as I would with a black woman. I DO NOT HATE WHITE PEOPLE AS I SAID BEFORE, I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO DEAL WITH them IF I DO NOT HAVE TO! i CHOOSE NOT TO FORM CLOSE ASSOCIATIONS WITH THEM(SUCH AS A BOYFRIEND) I know that Blacks join glos and hell i am sure some white people question that as i do. I mean if it is really okay for this to happen then why even bother with the distinction at all. Why not consider all of them as just glos. Why separate them and even call them bglos when there are white people in them? Why do they have separate councils Hence:PHC AND NPHC! I mean some preach the intergration of them yet they are still it most ways seprated in most things they do. What makes a white person want to join a bglo(or vice versa) in th efirst place? (as opposed to a glo) What happens to the bglos when white people begin to join in large numbers? What happens if there are more of them than of you? What happens when they begin to hold offices such as president? Wouldn't that change the way they are run? It can happen! I know that the founders of the bglos never intended for a White person to join their orgs. much less be president. This is possible if they continue to join. I mean some things are best left as is every part of our lives does not have to be intergrated. What can we have that is our own anymore? Is intergration really better? Or is just the things we now have access to that is better? Imagine if we were segregated completely from white people again except we had all the things they had still (good jobs and schools etc.) How many of you would really want to go and be with them. I beleive that it is not white people we want to be closer to it is access to a equal chance at life period! Since WE still do not have that at all why is everyone so okay with them having access to the few things we started for ourselves. It is not racism for us to want to keep the few things we have to just us it is just pride and the good feeling of us having something of our own. TO ANY WHITE PERSON WHO READS THIS AND SAYS WELL IF WE WANTED TO KEEP CERTAIN THINGS TO OURSELVES WE WOULD BE CALLED RACIST...........I SAY TO ME THAT IS NOT TRUE! I could give a dam careless if white people did not want me to join their org.! We had to go through so much to gain memebership into their glos(and everyhthing else they controlled) why are we always so dam accepting of them in our shit? These are just my feelings. I will never change the way I feel about topics such as this no matter what anyone says. I am not trying to change anyone else feeling s either. I have always felt this way and my feelings have only grown stronger as I have grown up in this world! To Ghostface: I do not know what your nationality is but there are so amny other minorities who have and are suffering at the hands of white people. The ques. was asked about white people. My feelings are exspressed about them. You say you are not black but that does not mean you are white. There was a comment made about Jewish people and also and Italian. With all due respect to those nationalties in most situations today WHITE IS WHITE!!!!!!!! Much love to all my people of color! REMEMBER "OLD HABITS NEVER DIE"
Old 05-30-2000, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1Babygirl2000 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Babygirl2000
I personally don't have a problem with non-African Americans joining BGLOs. I feel that as long as they understand that one of purposes of the organizations being founded was/is for the upliftment of the African American society as a whole. I feel that if they can truly say that they want to be a part of that, then why not. That's just my $19.13!
Old 06-01-2000, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Thanks Crimson Ambitions I love it when people understand whats real. As far as the other comments. SHALLOW is what you all are for buying into that everyone is treated equal bullshit!!! True Alot of Black people may feel that it should be that way but we are not the deciding factors "they" are!!!!! Just because some of them treat ya nice does not mean they feel they are your equal! Anyway as I have said MANY times before I speak my mind so by all means everyone speal yours say what you will about me I just feel bad for ya when the truth hits ya in the face!! As far as me not getting accepted into the BLACK soroity that i want to go in because of the color of my skin ummmmmmm I am not worried about that cause ya know I am BLACK. In the sorority I want to join trust me on my campus they all feel the way i do about this topic because we have discussed it many times before!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2000, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Like I said on a post earlier, my rock is not black and she still love and respects my org as much as anyone (if not more). I do understand the fact that we don't want to loose the foundation of our org. but we have to realize that there are people who are not black who still love what we stand for.
Old 06-04-2000, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I have a quick question for MEMBERS of the fabulous four sororities of the NPHC.

With the exception of Sigma Gamma Rho, all the sororities were founded at Howard University, a historically black college. I understand that we could not join white sororities at the time, but the whole theory about us never being excepted into these existing sororities makes me wonder because there were no whites on that particular campus to reject them. I thought they were founded to assist in the betterment of black people and for ladies with a common interest to get together. Maybe it's a combination of both inability and the realization of the need for change?

Please inform me.

[This message has been edited by Poplife (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old 06-04-2000, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

To Prettygyrl:

You mentioned that if you were in a historically black greek letter organization, you would never vote for a "white" person......I am curious to know how you would feel if you had a line sister that was "white"? You have no choice in who your line sisters are. Secondly, you say that you know how the members on your campus feel because you have talked with all of them...but remeember a chapter is simply that, a chapter, it is not the entire sorority. Let me tell you that if you do join an NPHC sorority, NO MATTER WHICH ONE, you WILL have "white" Sorors. On that note I would seriously reconsider wanting to join one because how could you join an organization with which you disagree with their policies and don't like some of their current members? Finally, the democratic process is how things are run in most sororities, so just because you vote "no" doesn't mean that everyone else will......as it seems on this discussion, your opinion on this matter is not the majority......I did notice that one of your supporters is CrimsonAmbitions...I will assume that you are interested in my sorority, in that case I would rethink my decision because Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. does not decide upon its members by the color of their skin.....please read up on your history, in particular the contributions of Soror Mary Church Terrell. Finally, I will tell you that no I am not white and no I am not black. My chapter recently had its 25th anniversary and I met many of my Sorors including founders....let me tell you that my line made history in my chapter, it was the first time we crossed someone that was not black. And let me tell you, it is definately a history that we are proud of...look forward to your replies
Old 06-05-2000, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

That was absolutely well said.
I whole-heartedly agree
Quote:
Originally posted by DiSTinguished:
To Prettygyrl:

You mentioned that if you were in a historically black greek letter organization, you would never vote for a "white" person......I am curious to know how you would feel if you had a line sister that was "white"? You have no choice in who your line sisters are. Secondly, you say that you know how the members on your campus feel because you have talked with all of them...but remeember a chapter is simply that, a chapter, it is not the entire sorority. Let me tell you that if you do join an NPHC sorority, NO MATTER WHICH ONE, you WILL have "white" Sorors. On that note I would seriously reconsider wanting to join one because how could you join an organization with which you disagree with their policies and don't like some of their current members? Finally, the democratic process is how things are run in most sororities, so just because you vote "no" doesn't mean that everyone else will......as it seems on this discussion, your opinion on this matter is not the majority......I did notice that one of your supporters is CrimsonAmbitions...I will assume that you are interested in my sorority, in that case I would rethink my decision because Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. does not decide upon its members by the color of their skin.....please read up on your history, in particular the contributions of Soror Mary Church Terrell. Finally, I will tell you that no I am not white and no I am not black. My chapter recently had its 25th anniversary and I met many of my Sorors including founders....let me tell you that my line made history in my chapter, it was the first time we crossed someone that was not black. And let me tell you, it is definately a history that we are proud of...look forward to your replies
Old 06-05-2000, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Poplife:
I have a quick question for MEMBERS of the fabulous four sororities of the NPHC.

With the exception of Sigma Gamma Rho, all the sororities were founded at Howard University, a historically black college. I understand that we could not join white sororities at the time, but the whole theory about us never being excepted into these existing sororities makes no sense because there were no whites on that particular campus to reject them. I thought they were founded to assist in the betterment of black people and for ladies with a common interest to get together. Maybe it's a combination of both inability and the realization of the need for change?

Please inform me.
Why doesn't the idea of our (AKA, DST and Zeta) Founders wanting a Sorority for us make sense to you? Think about the times. The Civil War had ended only 43 years before the founding of AKA. It was rare to find an African-American Woman pursuing a college education. It was even more rare for women to earn their degrees as many had to leave to take care of newly acquired husbands and families. We may not have been founded expressly because we could not hold memberships in established sororities, but I'm sure they knew the day we would was a long time coming. Our Founders were VISONARY in that and may other respects. It was NECESSARY because our Founders, God Bless their legacy, knew they wanted their vision to grow BEYOND Howard and on to predominantly Caucasian colleges & universities, and as we stand now, the world.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997