GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,628
0 members and 1,628 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2018, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

D9 Requirements

Hi, so yeah question... Well a few actually...

If someone went to a career college such as Devry, Kaplan, City college, etc., & received a bachelor's in a certain trade or program, for example a bachelor's in emergency medical services or business, which technically only took 6 months, but none the less still a bachelor's, could that person, if chosen by a d9 organization of course, join that fraternity or sorority? (Grad Chapter) Is that good enough or should that person actually get a 4 year degree from a regular college/ University? If this confuses you in anyway just bare with me lol. Just trying to find answers to questions I've had for a while. I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I am stepping WAY out of my lane to make a suggestion: research the specific organization you aspire to, and go from there. Contact their HQ for answers.

Did a quick internet search of a couple of D9 organizations and easily found info on membership requirements for both undergraduate and graduate chapters. Hence, suggesting you do the same. What I also learned is that you (OP) do not hold a bachelor's degree in the traditional sense. Frankly I would not claim a six month degree as equivalent to a four year course of study, but that's me. YMMV.

now quietly stepping away and way the hell back into my own non-NPHC lane.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-04-2018, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

We've done research & couldn't find the answers we we're looking for which is why I'm here. Contacting HQ is a no no lol. & I hold neither bachelor's degree or the 6 month bachelor's degree. I was just asking out of curiosity & because someone I know has similar questions. Of course they're not the same. Didn't mean to come across as if it did. But I appreciate your reply. Thanks for taking the time out to speak to lil ole me 😊
Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a member of a D9 org, but just wondering if you know someone from the group you're interested in co-workers, former teachers, church members, relatives etc. Perhaps they might be able to give you some insight about the requirements if that info isn't available on that org's website? Again this is speaking from the perspective of someone who is not a member of an NPHC group.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps I am beating a dead horse, but here goes anyway.

If you have internet access, go to the websites of the D9 sororities. I easily found info on membership requirements as far as educational level is concerned. Not going to post any links here. Not my kuleana.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Not my kuleana.
Hahaha! We say that all the time!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Perhaps I am beating a dead horse, but here goes anyway.

If you have internet access, go to the websites of the D9 sororities. I easily found info on membership requirements as far as educational level is concerned. Not going to post any links here. Not my kuleana.

You're not. I understand what you're saying but I'm telling you the answer to the question I have IS NOT on any of the D9 websites & it's definitely not on the one I'm interested in. I've been researching these organizations since middle school as well so I know requirements, & other information that they share with the public. That's why I came hear hoping a member would know for sure.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
I'm not a member of a D9 org, but just wondering if you know someone from the group you're interested in co-workers, former teachers, church members, relatives etc. Perhaps they might be able to give you some insight about the requirements if that info isn't available on that org's website? Again this is speaking from the perspective of someone who is not a member of an NPHC group.

No luck unfortunately 😔 The family members & mentors I have in the organization will not answer any questions about anything if it's not on the organizations website. Plus it's just something's you don't ask.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that you are trying to avoid rejection. That's not how life works, sweetie. You know enough that you know the process for membership. Start that and let THEM decide whether you meet that criteria. Have faith that it will work out...and if it doesn't, move on.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavi0408 View Post
No luck unfortunately 😔 The family members & mentors I have in the organization will not answer any questions about anything if it's not on the organizations website. Plus it's just something's you don't ask.
Well, I will be honest then if a family member or mentor who is a member of the org of interest wouldn't be willing to provide that info to you I'm not really sure why you would expect internet strangers who are members of that org to provide that info on this type of forum. I'm not trying to be snarky but I'm just trying to be realistic with expectations.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

What part of "accredited 4-year college or university" do you not understand? No matter what you call it, a "Bachelor's Degree" from one of those institutions is not a Bachelor's and no one in the outside world would ever confuse it with one.

Or ask yourself this. If the D9 organizations consider degrees from these schools as legitimate educational foundations for membership, then why are there not D9 collegiate chapters at these institutions?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
What part of "accredited 4-year college or university" do you not understand? No matter what you call it, a "Bachelor's Degree" from one of those institutions is not a Bachelor's and no one in the outside world would ever confuse it with one.

Or ask yourself this. If the D9 organizations consider degrees from these schools as legitimate educational foundations for membership, then why are there not D9 collegiate chapters at these institutions?

This is the key to the question. The D9 websites are clear and it should be up to the aspirant (?) to understand her qualifications relative to the information given. If a 2-year "city college" is not an "accredited 4-year college", then there's your answer.

For what it's worth, DeVry University earned regional accreditation starting in 2002. Kaplan University also had regional accreditation prior to being bought out by Purdue University in 2017. So, depending on when the student graduated, DeVry and Kaplan should technically meet the standard. That said, schools which use competency based education models (awarding credit for professional work or military experience) are perhaps not seen in the same light as a regular brick and mortar university.

However, none of us strangers on the internet could possibly know your situation, your qualifications, or how an organization might perceive the college you attended. If you have contacts in the organization, you should use them.

True and Constant
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It seems to me that you are trying to avoid rejection. That's not how life works, sweetie. You know enough that you know the process for membership. Start that and let THEM decide whether you meet that criteria. Have faith that it will work out...and if it doesn't, move on.

I already explained to someone else my position on that & clarified that I don't believe they're the same. Was just stating that they both are "Bachelor's" in their particular field. & I'm not trying to avoid rejection. I know the path that needs to be taken. These were just questions I & someone else we're curious about.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
This is the key to the question. The D9 websites are clear and it should be up to the aspirant (?) to understand her qualifications relative to the information given. If a 2-year "city college" is not an "accredited 4-year college", then there's your answer.

For what it's worth, DeVry University earned regional accreditation starting in 2002. Kaplan University also had regional accreditation prior to being bought out by Purdue University in 2017. So, depending on when the student graduated, DeVry and Kaplan should technically meet the standard. That said, schools which use competency based education models (awarding credit for professional work or military experience) are perhaps not seen in the same light as a regular brick and mortar university.

However, none of us strangers on the internet could possibly know your situation, your qualifications, or how an organization might perceive the college you attended. If you have contacts in the organization, you should use them.
I attended a regular 4 year college, & I know the requirements. I & someone else we're curious being that they both are Bachelor's in their own field. I explained to someone else earlier that I know they're not equal was just saying yah know... But thanks
Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post

You should read the replies I made before you do commented. I clarified my stance on that. Geesh. Y'all are hella fiesty 😂 it was just a question out of curiosity.