GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,320
2 members and 2,318 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 01-16-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Alumna Initiation with Alpha Phi!

Hello to my Alpha Phi (and future APhi... valkyrie!) sisters! Per TechAPhi's request, I am starting a thread on my initiation experience. I actually wrote about the initiation on the "Alumni Initiation" thread, under Alumni Involvement.

Prior to initiation, my sponsor and two other alums took me out to dinner at an Asian Bistro restaurant. The food was excellent! After we finished eating, my sponsor presented me with a Phi bear. She said the tradition at her collegiate chapter was for the big sister to give their little sis a Phi bear. My sponsor then said that if I didn't mind, she'd like to refer to herself as my big sis. So sweet! She's been, and still is, an awesome big sister!

We then drove to the collegiate chapter house, where I was to be initiated. By this time I was extremely nervous! I saw the new member class, but I was to be initiated two hours before them. I think the initiated members hoped to use my initiation as practice.

I obviously can't give every detail, but I was led to a room that seemed to exude sacredness. It was that special! I didn't know what I was supposed to say or do, but it turns out the rituals guide the new initiates. What probably surprised me the most was discovering the meaning behind the letters of Alpha Phi. I realized the letters were picked for a reason; they're not random! But with all my nervousness, I can't seem to recall every hidden meaning and ritual within Alpha Phi.

When it was all over, I couldn't believe it. I was now a full-fledged sister of Alpha Phi! Two other alums were also at my initiation, and they gave me big hugs afterwards. I thought it was so nice of them to come by and watch me get initiated.

I know the initiation was just the beginning. I have alot more to learn about Alpha Phi. I need to start learning the songs, too! Other alumnae have told me that I should attend an initiation from time to time, because it's good to be reminded what Alpha Phi is about. I totally agree!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2002, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

bearal,

Congratulations on your initiation!!

I'm surprised that during your new member education, you weren't told that Alpha Phi's letters actually stand for something. Sorority letters always have a meaning... sad that you weren't told this, but it's great that you have crossed and are SO happy!

Were you given much NM education, or was it mainly about meeting other sisters and alums? Not too familiar with the alum initiation process.

"peachy!"

Last edited by peachy; 01-17-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladyj39
Congratulations!!!!!!

Welcome to our sisterhood! I am so happy for you! Reading about your initiation experience made me remember my initiation day and how excited I was! I was in tears throughout the ceremony. Now you know why Alpha Phi is so special to all of us!

AOE,
Jessica
Old 01-17-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Peachy-

Thank you! I thought I could've used a New Member education. The alums educated me after my initiation! Oh well! I did receive the Ivy Leaf book from IHQ, which was very informative. Reading through the book just made me more proud and blessed to join such a wonderful organization. I hope to contribute much more to Alpha Phi this year!

ladyj39-

Thank you as well! It's wonderful to meet many Alpha Phis on greekchat. I'd like to attend convention this summer to meet more sisters, but I've been discouraged by the costs. How am I going to come up with $1000 plus by March?
Old 01-18-2002, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats Bearal! I rarely check the alumni forum--but I think I need to start.

I am so happy that you had such a positive experience. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Welcome to our sisterhood.

Jen
Old 01-20-2002, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

AWESOME story! Congratulations bearal!
Old 01-20-2002, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Bearal,

Congratulations and welcome to our wonderful sisterhood!
Old 02-10-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!

Congratulations to you Valkyrie on your initiation (and to us for getting such a great new sister!). I am so happy to have you among us. I hope your day was beautiful!

Congrats again!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to the sisterhood!

Congratulations, valkyrie! I'm so happy for you, and for Alpha Phi! I know you'll contribute much to the organization. Best of all, I'm proud to call you my sister!

Please PM of your initiation experience. Congrats again!

aoe,
bearal
Old 02-11-2002, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Valkyrie,

Congrats on your initiation! Were you initiated at regional conference? How exciting!

aoe,

Laura
Old 02-11-2002, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds exciting! Congratulations again!

aoe,

Laura
Old 02-11-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Tracy,

Congratulations on your initiation! I do not know you, but from what others have said, I am glad to say that we are sisters.

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 04-09-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
I am sponsoring my aunt for alumni initiation that will take place March 15. It is exciting because this is my last initiation before I become an alumni....is there anything I can do to make it even more special for her? She will initiate with about 8 new collegiate members.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ivysis
I am sponsoring my aunt for alumni initiation that will take place March 15. It is exciting because this is my last initiation before I become an alumni....is there anything I can do to make it even more special for her? She will initiate with about 8 new collegiate members.
Congrats to both you and your aunt. For your aunt, you can give her a few A-Phi hand-made gifts to make the initiation a little more special.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ivysis
update! (it took me forever to find this old thread)

Yes my aunt did initiate on March 15. It was great. During senior talks I ended up going last (out of maybe 10-15 seniors). I ended up making everyone cry! I didnt mean too, but I basically said that through my life my aunt has been the person I have looked up to most, and today I will be able to call her my sister as well. There was more to it, but I cant remember. She wears her pin all the time! Its great. The only problem is the only Colorado alumni chapter is in Denver which is 3 hours north of where she lives. Any advice on helping her get involved? She cant drive up there all the time because her daughter (my maid of honor!) just had a pretty serious back surgery.