GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,368
2 members and 2,366 guests
MSKKG

Old 12-12-2002, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

sororities in high school?!?!?!

Hi i guess this is just a question. I was talking with some of my sisters and they said that at some of their high schools they had "sororities". since mine didnt i was wondering if any of you out there had sororites at your high school and if so how do they compare to the GLOs on college campuses?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Murfreesboro, TN - It's Great .. to be .. from Middle Tennessee
There are two sororities at the high schools here there at ADKs DBS. As far as what they do....one of my friends that use to be an DBS said pretty much all they did was have fund raisers for a philanthropy and have a formal.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This is news to me too, as I have never heard of Sororities in high school before.

By the way, sailorpiphi, I noticed you are in Michigan... So am I. Which high schools did you hear this about? I'm all curious now.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

the ones i heard about were in illinois
Old 12-13-2002, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
When I was in high school (many moons ago), there were "sororities" and "fraternities". I went to a very large school so there were many of them too. And from what understand our rival high school had them too. These schools are located in the southeast.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that it's cool that they would have sororities in high school. Is it not tradition that they are for college-only girls? Maybe I'm wrong...someone correct me!

Old 12-13-2002, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
iremember that when i was in high school our student handbook banned sororites and fraternities. i always wondered how someone would belong to a sorority or fraternity in high school . i guess it is possible
Old 12-13-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

It's kind of a neat idea to have sororities in high school, but dear lord! I don't think I would have survived! There was not a lot of variety in my high school & some of those girls were MEAN!!! My h.s. sorority would have looked like "Dying to Belong".
Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioGirlieKD
I don't think that it's cool that they would have sororities in high school. Is it not tradition that they are for college-only girls? Maybe I'm wrong...someone correct me!
High school sororities and fraternities have been around a very long time, and they offer many of the same things that college GLO's do. They hold philanthropy events, fundraisers and formals very much like we do. However, because of risk management concerns, many schools do not allow them on campus anymore.

My mother was in a high school sorority, and I have pictures of her all dressed up with her date for formals. I'm very glad that she had the opportunity to join a sorority back then because the college she attended later did not offer Greek Life. Had it not been for Mom's own high school sorority experience, then she probably would not have encouraged me so strongly to go through Rush when I started college.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school eons ago, we had 2 "sororities". The were the perfect examples of the stereotypes we are trying to overcome today. They would haze, with numerous degrading activities on the campus. They were supposedly illegal, but the teachers seemed to turn a blind eye.

Their attitude toward those who were not members was out right mean. Non-members took the brunt of the abuse when they were not initiating their pledges.

DaffyKD
Old 12-13-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

My high shcool had two; one was ALpha Beta Gamma and the other was Kappa Eplison. It was just girls that felt that they were above the rest of the population at school. I don't think that they had anything types of involment on the school campus. They hazed, had wild parties and degraded their "pledges". etc. I did not see any reason for them.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally posted by PiKapp Raider
There are two sororities at the high schools here there at ADKs DBS. As far as what they do....one of my friends that use to be an DBS said pretty much all they did was have fund raisers for a philanthropy and have a formal.
I grew up in Arkansas, and we had Delta Beta Sigma also. My younger sister and all of my freinds were members. They did a lot of the same stuff as college sorroities, but mother involvment is a lot higher. Moms are at EVERYTHING. It was pretty neat.

We also had 2 high school fraternities: Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Delta Sigma. They were a lot like the stereotypes.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Right before I started high school, they ended the "sorority-like" traditions of the Civinettes club at my school. It used to be something that every girl wanted to be a part of, and they did a LOT of hazing (making new members dress up in silly outfits, coming to their house at 4:00 in the morning, etc). But by the time I was there, Civinettes was a dying club that had maybe less than 10 members. It's good that they stopped it all though, because Civinettes is techically a division of the Civitans, and they never meant for all that to happen.

Wasn't Sela Ward in a high school sorority? I seem to remember some story about how she was bullied/harrassed/etc from a sorority but it wasn't Chi Omega.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioGirlieKD

I know I'm going to get made fun of here...

When I was a kid, I used to read the Sweet Valley High series. In it, one of the twins is in a high school sorority. When I actually reached high school and learned that we didn't have sororities, I was pretty disappointed. I think in those books they only had one at the school, and they were huge on blackballing, and terrible bitches.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still a bit confused...

So were these sororities just made up? Was there an office of alumns that sorta observed everything?
Do they actually go through a recruitment period, and hold initiations?
Were these sororities in any way tied to college sororities (like, the same name, or did they just make up names)
And what happened when they graduated and went to college? Could they join another sorority?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I'm just really curious.