GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,733
Threads: 115,525
Welcome to our newest member, Blendercqi
» Online Users: 856
1 members and 855 guests
DoubleRose

Old 11-28-2001, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Your roots

I'm pretty sure this topic was covered in a thread a long time ago but I just said what the heck and make another one. sorry, If I offended anyone. Anways........I found out over thankgiving from an uncle of mine that my moms side goes all the way back to the 1400s in Scotland. We were once the Buchanans. Also, we there is some relation to Jessie James if you can believe that and the builder of the U.S.S. Consitution was one of my grandfathers. Another little tid bit is that one of my relatives back in the 1800s was a union soldier that got captured by the confederacy and wrote a diary while being held captive. My moms side is Scotish and my dads side is French/English. Originally my dads side started in France but because of their religon(french hugenots) they moved to England where my last name changed a bit. I went on a trip to Santiago, Chile once with a brother of mine and one of his uncles called me wa wa russa......that means russian baby in spanish. He just thought I have that baby face and looked russian. I wouldnt be suprised if I had some russian and german blood as well. I guess I'm probably a mutt. ha ha.

Also, all the women on my moms side are daughters of the american revolution.

Last edited by Miami1839; 12-03-2001 at 09:35 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2001, 09:27 PM

My dads side can be traced back to Italy and Spain, my moms to Italy and Greece. Theres definetly badass food in the house at all times AND although most guys don't care less, I LOVE my skin complexion.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Wink

I am 1st generation Canadian: both my parents were born in London. My Dad's side is mostly English, Scottish (MacKinnon of Skye) and Irish (from Waterford, unfortunately no known relation to the crystal), with a bit of German. My mum's side is basically English and further back, Welsh, Dutch, Italian and Jewish. We haven't been able to trace my family back to far yet, but my mum's mum family lived in the same part of Yorkshire dating back to the 1700's - not sure when they came down to London though. And a family favourite (or joke): when the Magnas married the Cartas (I kid you not!!).
Old 11-28-2001, 09:54 PM

My Dad's side can be traced back to Russia, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Germany, France, and Sweden.

On my mom's side: I'm actually 1/4 Spanish. My Grandfather (mom's dad) is 100% Spanish (Spain). My Grandmother's family can be traced back to Morocco, Russia, Turkey, and Greece.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Scottish-Hispanic-Japanese-Irish-Dutch-Filipina-German-Vietnamese. Really.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom's mother is 100% German
Her father is 100% Irish

My dad's father is 100% Italian
His mother is 100% Danish

so that makes me one crazy mix of 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Danish and 1/4 German

i sound like a recipie.....

Last edited by IowaHawkeye; 11-29-2001 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom was born in England, my dad in NY, his parents were from NY, and their parents were from Russia and Romania. Turns out that my Scottish clan, Clan Cumming, used to be in line for the Scottish throne. We started to research my fiance's clan, Clan McFarland, and it turns out that his family sided with Robert the Bruce (remember the guy in Brave Heart who wore the big furs?) and during a battle, assisted in killing my ancestor in the Church of Dumfries in 1306. So much for the throne! Anyway, a very strange connection, I thought.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm proud to be a first-generation Greek-American. My mother's side of the family is from the island of Chios, which is famous for being the birthplace of Homer and is the site of the famous Massacre at Chios (see paintings of Eugene Delacroix). My father's side of the family is from a small mainland village in the province of Evrytania, which is located high in the mountains several hours north of Athens.

Unfortunately, because Greece was under Turkish slavery until the 1800s, we have no real records of any family members past my great-grandparents. My mother came over to America as a toddler. My father emigrated as a young man in the late 60s. He entered the US on RMS Queen Anna Maria.

Last edited by greeklawgirl; 11-28-2001 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01
My dads side can be traced back to Italy and Spain, my moms to Italy and Greece. Theres definetly badass food in the house at all times AND although most guys don't care less, I LOVE my skin complexion.
Sounds like you're a cutie

Now if you can cook some of that "badass food" then you're definitely a winner!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:25 PM

I am a bona fide mutt

My dad is 100% Polish. Explains my stubborn streak

My mom is part Scottish (Clan MacLeod), part Irish, part English, part Portuguese, part Indian (i.e. from India).

My husband's "pedigree" is similarly muttlike - Russian, Austrian/German, and a few things I don't remember.

Mutts are supposed to be the healthiest, though - all those inbred recessive genetic diseases don't take hold - if anything, you're a carrier, but not affected yourself. So, no complaints here.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am half Italian and half Irish/German. My father's grandparents -both sets- arrived at Ellis Island in New York in the 1910s and 20s. We have traced their names to the registrys on ships. And we still keep in touch with cousins in Rome. My mother's last name is Risinger and maiden name is Stansbury. The Dollinger name is also in our family.

Its funny because I have a darker Italian complexion with bright blue eyes and freckles. So, I look Italian to a point but I have light Irish freckles.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by G8Ralphaxi

Sounds like you're a cutie

Now if you can cook some of that "badass food" then you're definitely a winner!
awww...tank u And ya, I can cook, learned from my mommy when I was a kid.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I'm mostly Italian. My dad is 100% Italian and it's been confirmed and traced back to the 1700s. My maternal grandmother is 100%Italian but my maternal grandfather is half Hungarian and half Swedish. I didn't pick up any of those traits though--I definitely look Italian. My parents are both first generation Americans--both sets of my grandparents were born in Europe.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Both my mom and my dads sides of the family are scottish! I have the Royal Stewart clan in my blood we have some still living in Scottland actually and my dads side is the Mattheson clan!! So Im all sorts of scottish! *an interesting tidbit that doesnt have to do with my heritage* My old house in Michigan*before we moved to TN* was actually a part of the underground railroad which I always thought was kinda neat!! HAHA not like that had anything to do with this topic i just wanted to share!

Nicholie
Old 11-29-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
Quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
My mum's side is basically English and further back, Welsh, Dutch, Italian and Jewish.
Not trying to be a b*tch or anything, but uh, what country is "jewish"?