GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,438
1 members and 1,437 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 04-07-2001, 01:47 AM

Angry Dirty Rush...

Hey guys, We have a bit of a dilemna here on campus regarding the rush policies of a group trying to colonize. Before I describe what's going on I should tell you how close-knit our greek system is. I'm sure some of you may remember that I stated our greek community is immature (approximately ten years old) and that greeks comprise only 1% of the student body.

So there's this new group represented by brothers of a newly chartered fraternity that are here scoping out the campus as a possible colony. At first they began meeting us (all the groups on campus) and basically asking questions about how receptive we are to new groups...
For whatever reason their rush policies have taken a much more aggressive manner. Everyother guy that walks into the campus bar is harrassed by these guys, to the extent that the employees of the bar are threatening to kick these guys out. The problem with this negative PR hurts all the other groups, these poor bastards just looking to grab a beer will then profile this group's image to the rest of us.
These guys have really pissed off all the other groups on campus (we're new so they probably aren't aware of us). For example, they'll go to one of the sororities and bash the other two established fraternities....get this, they even went to an event (hosted at the house) of the largest fraternity with their letters on and rushed half the brothers of this chapter!

This is just too funny, I just realized about this "dirty rush" tonight at the IFSC (Inter-Fraternal-Sorority-Council) meeting. It's really frustrating for us because we're finally all working together to achieve better rush and campus recognition and this group comes out of nowhere with the potential to disrupt our goals.

If anyone has experienced something similar to this or may just have any valid opinions, i'm all ears...

Fraternally grateful,
Nick.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2001, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Nick, unfortunatally this is not so uncommon!
If you do dirt, some of will stick to you and paybacks are HELL. We had 2 houses do that and they not only hurt the Greek system, they hurt the individuals they did it to.
Neither one of these houses are still on campus. They left such a bad taste that is it is still hard to get the Greek system to grow.
Be your self and point out your good points and you chapter will grow!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 04-07-2001, 05:26 PM

Nick, is this a local group or a national group?

If they're national, notify their national HQ immediately. No national condones this kind of behavior.

If they are local, get together all the fraternities and sororities and place an ad in the campus paper (signed by all of you) that says "The Greek community of XYZ U. does not recognize or condone the actions of the group known as Rho Rho Rho. They are not a part of the XYZ U Greek community."

That way hopefully people will realize that this is not the way the rest of the Greek orgs operate. And if the bouncers at the bar want to throw them out, hold the door open.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:49 PM

Tom, thank you for your advice, it is appreciated! That's what we're afraid of, we are receptive to other groups, but not if these guys are gonna be looze canons, causing problems. There's already enough trouble makers here.

33 girl,
They are an NAIC (North-American Interfraternity Conference) group. That's another point we brought up at the meeting, apparently one of their "top guys" said he has much more discretion than someone in another international organizations - I think this is bull$#%@.

This group is very peacemeal, they seem to be really disorganized. There's more than one guy vying as the leader. The tri delt prez was asking one of their "top guys" about their organization, and he didn't even know if they were dry (actually he didn't even know what "dry" meant). Turns out this guy was initiated just last semester!
I don't think they know what they're doing. They said they're gonna come up around the end of may to do some rushing...? Does that make sense? Rush the 4 students that are here for the summer?

At this point we're keeping an eye on everything they do. We have complete control over them, if they don't smarten up they're probably gonna be blackballed, prevented from being on campus. I'll keep everyone posted in the future, thanks for your advice
Nick.

[This message has been edited by Lil_G (edited April 07, 2001).]