GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,454
1 members and 1,453 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 07-31-2000, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Should I bother rushing?

I will be a freshman this fall and I REALLY want to join a sorority. The problem is my G.P.A. is only 2.28. I am involved in a lot of activites though, and I have the leadership qualities that would benefit a sorority. Their are 11 sororities at my school and they all have a minium G.P.A. of 2.8 and 3.0 for pledging. Some of them say they make rare exceptions. Would I be waisting my time to rush? Will a sorority cut me from their list before they even meet me?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2000, 02:33 AM
gloriajean

Give Rush your best shot and see what happens. I don't know your campus, but I do believe that personality counts for a lot.
Also, you will be able to talk to your Rush Counsellor (or Rho Chi, as they're called) and you can pose all of your questions to her. She is your source of information during Rush. If I were you, I would give Rush a shot anyhow...if you don't try Rush, you might regret it, and wish that you had later! Give it all you got and GOOD LUCK!!

Old 07-31-2000, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a question because i'm confused, by the post.

Are you a returning freshman (second semster)
or a new student (first semester)?

[This message has been edited by blu_theatrics (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old 07-31-2000, 09:32 AM

Exclamation

Wow! Where do you go to school? The highest GPA I've ever heard of to join is a 2.5. I commend them for emphasizing academics but that is really high.

Rush is NEVER a waste of time. Even if you don't pledge that semester (or ever, for that matter) you get to meet a lot of great people.
Old 07-31-2000, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
I've always been a person that would convince someone to rush and pledge because it is a great experience and a very valuable addition to their college social life. Of course, not to mention all the other reasons and benefits for joining... However, this is college, and I like to think the main reason for being there is your grades and making sure they are your top priority. I believe these houses that have a high gpa requirement are sending a great message to everyone. They really emphasize academic excellence and go beyond a normal 2.0 or 2.5 pledging requirement. I'd say wait on joining but still go ahead and rush them. Meet the people and make them aware of you and your intentions and interests in greek life. But concentrate on bringing up your grades for the next semester, because pledging will take up a lot of your time and energy that your grades may stumble a little. The choice is up to you, my opinion is the chapters will be there when you are ready, so there really is no reason to rush into it if you're not prepared yet.

AXPAlum
Old 07-31-2000, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Are they for individual houses, or for Panhellenic or NPHC? I know that at my school, the gpa to rush is 2.4, but I think for my house, Alpha Gamma Delta, the gpa to rush our house is a little higher. What that means is that a rushee may be eligible to attend Panhellenic rush, but she would get cut from our house because her gpa wasn't high enough for our rush. Check with your school's Panhellenic or NPHC, they'll be able to tell you for sure. Hope this helps you out! But, if you are able to, GO THROUGH RUSH! It was one of the best experiences of my life! I met lots of wonderful women, my future sisters, women in other houses, and women who decided it wasn't for them.
Old 08-01-2000, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to lizzie3d
I know some organizations make rare exceptions, sometimes called "acedemic risks", where they allow a "rushee" (I hate that term- sorry) to pledge a greek organization. Keep in mind that they may allow a rushee to pledge provided he or she gets their grades up to the academic standard provided by the sorority or fraternity.

I have also heard of "the percentage rule", which means that provided a certain percentage of a greek organization's members have a certain GPA, the organization is considered within academic standards. I am not sure if either of these rules would be at your particular school, but it may be something to check into if you are REALLY worried about your academics.

Also keep in mind that even if you do not pledge a greek organization, you will meet a TON of people during rush! There's nothing wrong with meeting new people, right?

Lizzie
Old 08-04-2000, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

To answer some of the questions posted here you go:

I will be entering college this fall as a freshman, that is, I just graduated high school in May of 2000.

The college I will be attending is OSU-Oklahoma State University. It's in Stillwater, OK. You guy's have heard of "Eskimo Joe's" haven't you? That's where it is located.

The GPA reguirements I listed are that of the individual chapters. Panhellenic does not require a specific GPA to participate in rush. And also, the college GPA minimum for pledging is lower, anywhere from a 2.5 to 3.0. The GPA's that I listed in the orignal post were the minimun high school GPA's for pledging.

Everyone commented on how high the school's GPA standards are, so I thought I would tell you some quick facts about their grades from 1999:

PANHELLENIC G.P.A. 3.188
ALL UNDERGRADUATE WOMEN 2.88
INTRA-FRATERNAL COUNCIL 2.92
ALL UNDERGRADUATE MEN 2.63
ALL UNIVERSITY 2.74

Thanks for all of your advice. I have decided to participate in COB, instead of formal fall recruitment. COB lasts until the end of the spring semester. This way, I will have a chance to bring my grades up. Keep any advice comming!

[This message has been edited by laurie keeley (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-06-2000, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

Sounds like you have a plan! Way to go!
Old 08-26-2000, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

At my school, Panhellenic has a minimum GPA of 2.3 to even go through recruitment, and then individual sororities make their own requirements. The majority of them have a 3.0 for incoming freshman, or a 2.75 for returning students. I think your plan to wait is great, because it gives you a better chance to get into more houses that you like and that will like you. Also, if you do change your mind and decide to go through formal, its always good if you are talking with a house that you like to say "Hey, I'm really concered about getting into a sorority because I had low grades in HS, but I had all these great activites, and I really want to suceed in college. How does your chapter handle situations like mine, and what kind of academic programs do you have for your women, because academics are going to be a big focus for me in college, along with continuing my leadership." This lets the women know that you are concerned about academics, brags on you a little bit for your involvement, and gives you a great topic to get into discussion on...and all sorority women love it when you ask them a question that shows you've thought about something. Great initiative!!