GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,976
2 members and 1,974 guests
Mooch279, zaashleyshlzeo9

Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Too bad some of the women in MK do not have your perspective or strength to not fall prey to their director! I like your note about the gadzillions of recruits and ordering gadzillions of product - unfortunately, alot of women fall into that trap for a variety of reasons and yes, it is their decision, but in today's MK world, they are telling unsuspecting consultants that 3600 to 4200 orders are "profit-level" and Nationals are training directors to "sell inventory".

I felt it very important to get this out in the open so things like Enron don't happen and people can avoid the pitfalls. I do realize they happen in every business - I focus on MK and am here writing about it because it's an MK thread.

Seems like there are college members here and some naughty directors go after those who have the student loans. They teach to go after women with credit - so beware is all I want to say to anyone.

It CAN be fun to sell, etc., but moving up requires recruiting and staying there requires more. Just keep that in mind and do your homework about direct selling businesses before plunging into one of these.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The thing with Mary Kay - and every direct selling opportunity like Avon, etc.- is to remember why you wanted to start in the first place and stick to it.

An Arbonne rep wrote this on a MK forum regarding the "how much money can you really make in MK" question, and I think it hits it on the nail:

Quote:
There are no get rich quick schemes here. The first thing to do is come up with your WHY. Then make a business plan. Then work that plan and remember your WHY. My director signed her beauty agreement 3 years ago, and today her average monthly check is $18,000. Now, this is above average, but I know a lot of directors who work their business like a business and earn $60,000 per year in commission working no more than 30 hours per week. But they work it every day. They get no's and zero dollar classes, but they keep going.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
The thing with Mary Kay - and every direct selling opportunity like Avon, etc.- is to remember why you wanted to start in the first place and stick to it.

An Arbonne rep wrote this on a MK forum regarding the "how much money can you really make in MK" question, and I think it hits it on the nail:
While that money is nothing to bawk at - my whole point is that they are "doing it faster" in MK whereby Nationals are becoming Nationals within 3 years of signing (unheard of in the old days when they actually encouraged classes and reruiting from them). Today, they push inventory. A story like this, successful as it seems, leaves me leary as to HOW she got what she got and I'd certainly like to know what her WHY was because sometimes, when we have large income and status as our goal - we find ourselves mowing over alot of women to get there, which is never success to me when you earn a living off commissions from what someone orders and does not sell and that is the case in too many cases.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't know if Greekchat is the proper forum to crusade against Mary Kay. While I severely dislike companies like Mary Kay and Avon, I just don't know that this is the place to debate.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I have no problem with the crusade against it... although I think I draw the line at starting new threads with your anti-Mary Kay website as the topic.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
PS I hope this becomes a thread rife with bitter, bitter controversy and name calling that has to be shut down.

THAT would be great.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
PS I hope this becomes a thread rife with bitter, bitter controversy and name calling that has to be shut down.

THAT would be great.
Lol, what, don't we have enough of those for your taste?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: About Mary kay

Quote:
Originally posted by mk4utoday
ours comes with a money back guarantee or exchange. Try that at your local Walmart! I deliver to you or ship anywhere in the country. [/url]
Wow!

THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE WALMART!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: About Mary kay

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Wow!

THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE WALMART!
But what's worse? being around Walmart people or having to put up with the high pressure Mary Kay people? Tough call.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

At least Walmart has express check out.

With Mary Kay, it sounds like the old Hotel California song...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks Mary Kay and Ashley Olson everytime they hear "Mary Kay?"
Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
By the way, am I the only one who thinks Mary Kay and Ashley Olson everytime they hear "Mary Kay?"
Ummm...its actually Mary KATE. . . .

As a former Mary Kay consultant (and current Longaberger so I can get the discount), it is rather interesting how your Mary Kay 'friends' will completely ignore you if you return inventory! Oh well, guess they really weren't friends, huh?! Just my little vent.

Sarah
Old 03-12-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Mary Kay?

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
My older sister told me "everyone goes through a Mary Kay phase"and I think I caught the bug temporarily.

I don't plan on making it a career or anything, just something to do for fun. Plus, I use tihs stuff and it's awesome so it just makes economical sense!

What are your (or people you know) experiences w/ selling Mary Kay?

I read, with interest, the comments about starting a MK thread and noticed the moderator started this thread and invited discussion.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
I have no problem with the crusade against it... although I think I draw the line at starting new threads with your anti-Mary Kay website as the topic.
My website is not ANTI-MK; it is an informative site which discusses and advises things current consultants need to be aware of and avoid. We do this by teaching about the business model, sharing like experiences and also offering discussion from both sides. The site also supports a current consultant group.

As I stated in my previous post, this thread was started by one of your moderators inviting discussion about experiences - so I am merely responding to her invitation and since this is a "college" site - I would think that readers appreciate information and disclosure of first hand experiences.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Changing the subject...

I tried Arbonne recently and I LOVE IT!!! Normally, I hate anything like this and I'm not the type to buy useless junk at Princess House and Party Lites gatherings, (the only reason I'm addicted to MK eyeshadows and eyeliners are because my college roommate turned me onto them years ago), but I'm hooked! I highly doubt I'll be doing any selling for them, though!!!! Any other Arbonne fans out there?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

MK DOES have great eye shadows! That I do like.