GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,423
1 members and 1,422 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a "bottom tier" fraternity?

I want to rush this upcoming semester. I told my friend that I would join his fraternity a couple times. I don't know why, but most of the other fraternities/sororities don't think very highly of them. I just don't want people to think less of me because of the fraternity I'm in. I'm okay with not being top tier, but I don't really want to be like the worst fraternity on campus. I mean if the guys are cool, I don't really care what anyone else thinks. What's your opinion on this?
I know, I sound like a dick for saying this. Joining a fraternity is a big investment for me as far as money and time goes. I just want to get the best experience out of my money. If the parties/girls aren't that great, then I may just want to keep my money. I don't want to pay $2000 a year to go to parties that I could go to as GDI. (I know its not all about the parties and girls)

Last edited by theonedude572; 08-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, you define the letters...the letters don't define you.

If you put in hard work, time, and dedication you can change the reputation of your fraternity within a couple of years. You can lead the change and encourage other brothers to follow suit.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedude572 View Post
I want to rush this upcoming semester. I told my friend that I would join his fraternity a couple times. I don't know why, but most of the other fraternities/sororities don't think very highly of them. I just don't want people to think less of me because of the fraternity I'm in. I'm okay with not being top tier, but I don't really want to be like the worst fraternity on campus. I mean if the guys are cool, I don't really care what anyone else thinks. What's your opinion on this?
I know, I sound like a dick for saying this. Joining a fraternity is a big investment for me as far as money and time goes. I just want to get the best experience out of my money. If the parties/girls aren't that great, then I may just want to keep my money. I don't want to pay $2000 a year to go to parties that I could go to as GDI. (I know its not all about the parties and girls)
Obviously you do care about what everyone else thinks if you are asking about it online.

I'm speaking as a girl here, and have no clue how the male mind works, but to me tiers really shouldn't matter. Even "bottom tier" organizations are a great experience. And if they try to get involved on campus then people will notice and want to interact with them.

Also, if you are joining a fraternity strictly for the parties and girls that's pretty shallow. You should join to gain a brotherhood, parties and girls should just be some of the perks.

If these guys are truly your friends it shouldn't matter what "tier" the fraternity is.

Last edited by samaroni; 08-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember, you are joining for a lifetime, not four years.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

If your group recognizes itself as bottom tier, what is it willing to do in order to change that? How entrenched are tiers? How much alumni support do you have and how can you change that situation for the better?

I look at poorly performing chapters as more of an opportunity for great leaders rather than something to be sneered at.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of girls that don't care about tiers. They just want to go to fun parties with nice guys who aren't creepers. Have a good brotherhood and be good hosts, believe me, the word will get out.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If your group recognizes itself as bottom tier, what is it willing to do in order to change that? How entrenched are tiers? How much alumni support do you have and how can you change that situation for the better?

I look at poorly performing chapters as more of an opportunity for great leaders rather than something to be sneered at.
He's not even in this group, and he hasn't yet gone through recruitment.

To the OP: Visit different chapters. Get to know the members. If you click with a group (whether it's your friend's or another), then work hard to get to know them further and try to secure a bid.

I know you've already said you'd join your friends chapter, but you don't know if you'll even like the chapter, and you don't know if the chapter will want you. And what happens if you end up liking another chapter better? Will your friend be offended? I think the two of you shouldn't make promises before you even meet any fraternity members, and you'd be better off telling your friend that you're going to see what your options are and go where you feel most comfortable. If you're not in his chapter, it doesn't mean you can't be friends.

And if you truly don't care what anyone else thinks, then when/if you receive a bid, and you like the chapter (regardless of whether or not it's your friend's chapter), then accept it.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should rush several fraternities and join the one you think is the best fit for your interests and personality. If you don't find that you receive a bid to one that meets your needs, invest your time and money in other activities.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
He's not even in this group, and he hasn't yet gone through recruitment.

To the OP: Visit different chapters. Get to know the members. If you click with a group (whether it's your friend's or another), then work hard to get to know them further and try to secure a bid.

I know you've already said you'd join your friends chapter, but you don't know if you'll even like the chapter, and you don't know if the chapter will want you. And what happens if you end up liking another chapter better? Will your friend be offended? I think the two of you shouldn't make promises before you even meet any fraternity members, and you'd be better off telling your friend that you're going to see what your options are and go where you feel most comfortable. If you're not in his chapter, it doesn't mean you can't be friends.

And if you truly don't care what anyone else thinks, then when/if you receive a bid, and you like the chapter (regardless of whether or not it's your friend's chapter), then accept it.
FWIW, I joined a colony of a friend who dropped out of school that same semester. I served in may roles as a collegian, met my wife, have lifelong friends from every single class and am now chapter adviser.

I could have joined another house on campus, had that typical greek experience and been 4 and done. There's a soft place in my heart for 'bottom tier' groups.

That said, there are some nationals (TKE), which would be well advised to close and then reopen defunct chapters under better circumstances. That's the only national I'd steer you clear of though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm going to talk to a couple of different chapters and see which ones I like. If the guys in my friend's chapter seem cool, then I will definitely join. I just don't want to sound like a douche if I find that I'm not compatible with his chapter.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedude572 View Post
Thanks for everyone's help! I'm going to talk to a couple of different chapters and see which ones I like. If the guys in my friend's chapter seem cool, then I will definitely join. I just don't want to sound like a douche if I find that I'm not compatible with his chapter.
Just tell your friend that you want to keep an open mind and look at all the chapters.

And remember, it's the chapter's choice whether to extend you a bid; only after that happens do you get to decide whether to accept the bid and join. Which means that if you're really not compatible with your friend's chapter, the chapter may make the decision for you and save you from having to look like a jerk to your friend.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

After reading the OP, all I can think of is Revenge of the Nerds movie.

That group was considered "bottom tier" and look, even they were able to make sequels!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

It doesn't matter what fraternity you choose in terms of popularity. Choose a fraternity that suits you well. I'm rushing this fall and the one im really considering is seen as the jock fraternity in the campus community. I didn't even know about that reputation until a friend from that fraternity told me.

Last edited by rock5060; 08-15-2013 at 11:16 PM.