GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,156
1 members and 2,155 guests
Overthinker

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

oh, i agree alum. i think that recommendations are key.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
I highly recommend two recs/sponsors/rifs, if possible at least one from an Ole Miss Alumna. You will not be penalized if you have more than two. My cousin had three recs that I know of, when she preffed and pledged Delta Gamma several years ago... She also preffed KD, I know she had multiple recs there. Though she decided to preff Chi O over Pi Phi, I know of three recs to Pi Phi.

The fact is many chapters at Ole Miss have their 2nd day party list completed before recruitment starts, GPA and recommendations play a large part.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

You can have more than one rec for each house. It's up to you. You really shouldn't mail anything to the houses yourself since recs need to be written by the alumna. Some PNMs who cannot find recs for a sorority will send in their pictures, resume, and transcripts to that house. I have seen some PNM's who have more than 10 recs for a house and some who have one rec and they both do equally as well during recruitment.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi gam-ma,
My daughter went thru Rush at Ole Miss last year. I was not in a Sorority and had to rely on friends' advise to figure it all out. This is how I understand it and what we did:
One FORMAL REC for each Sorority
At least one INFORMAL LETTER from past members and the more the better.
We spent alot of time calling around and finding people (some ladies called and volunteered when they heard she was going to OM - that was very nice!) She ended up with a rec for each and as many as 5 letters for a few but no letters for a couple. We gave each person (whether rec or letter was being written) a resume, picture, her gradepoint avg, and an addressed envelope. (We looked on the internet for the correct Oxford address for each sorority.)
She went with an open mind, had a fun Rush experience, and pledged a great Sorority. Altho all the work seemed a little strange at the time, it was worth the effort.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
A Southern Mom
Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Update from an Appreciative Gam-ma

Thank you one and all for all of your help! We will try to make sure we've got a rec and several letters from each house. I will let all of you know how it goes, and thank you again for all of your responses. I could not have been prepared without you and I want you to know that!

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your daughter's rush at Ole Miss. HOTTY TODDY!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I assure you that most, if not all, of the groups at Ole Miss will also get a sponsor form from your home town sponsorship chairman for their group. That is true for my group. I was the chairman for my city for a number of years. Even though a woman had a sponsor form from a family friend, the chapter at Ole Miss (and MS State as well!) wanted a form from me as city chairman.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not surprised. With the small number of chapters at Ole Miss and the large number of women going thru, it's very competitive. With many old line groups there, they often have more legacies going thru than quota slots. Having multiple sponsor forms with us is a norm...
Old 08-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
one pnm had 56 recs (not a typo) to one sorority.
Did the sorority cut her or keep her?
________
Live Sex

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Did the sorority cut her or keep her?
Yes, being this kind of recruitment legend might not be a good thing.

At some point, you'd wonder why she thought she needed 56 recs.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, I'm old and out of it, but what is a "rif?" My Ole Miss daughter said something about having "rifs" the other day, but it was 107 degrees and I failed to ask her what that stood for.......

Is it the same as a rec?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
OK, I'm old and out of it, but what is a "rif?" My Ole Miss daughter said something about having "rifs" the other day, but it was 107 degrees and I failed to ask her what that stood for.......

Is it the same as a rec?
Yes. RIF=Recruitment Information Form.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAadpi View Post
I agree, but even better would be sending lollipops to the sorority with your daughters name imprinted on them. (True story)
I was Rush Chairman as a collegiate and I've been a Rush Advisor as well as the Rush Coordinator for a major City Panhellenic.

The actives look at anyone with 56 recs as suspicious and it stopped being a positive after the first 3 or 4. The most common remark seems to be "WHY does she need that many recs? Is she so weak that every single Alum in town is doing her Mom/Sister/Grandmother a favor and holding their noses the whole time?

The Rush Advisor has to be more diplomatic, but hey, she's sort of thinking along the same lines. One really good rec and up to five strong letters should suffice. After all, if the actives fall in love with the girl, they'll stop reading after the rec and just rush the PNM like there's no tomorrow!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

I'm not surprised to hear that. I know an admissions officer at an extremely competitive Ivy League school. Among themselves, they say, "The thicker the file, the thicker the kid." Some kids send in dozens of recommendations from everybody they've ever met, ten-page resumes listing every award they got in kindergarten, and/or fifty clippings from the local small-town newspaper from every time they had their picture in the paper for collecting the most toothbrushes for the homeless or whatever. It makes you think, where's this kid's judgment? Sorority recruitment isn't all that different.
________
Find headshop

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend whose daughter went thru recruitment a few years back. She was a 8 time legacy to one group (big catholic family!). THey didn't put them all on her PH form or resume. I think they just put the mother, grandmother and one aunt. They were concerned about overkill and didn't want to damage her chances. I thought that was a very good way to handle that. She ended up pledging that group.