GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,519
0 members and 1,519 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Irishpipes gave a detailed account of AOPi going onto the Rose-Hulman campus last year. She indicated that there was some discussion in the Panhellenic about allowing the interest group to be allowed to expand as a national NPC group. I was wondering how successful they have been as a third group. Were the other groups welcoming? Have they done well in their first rush?
My husband is a Rose alumnus and AOII was extremely visible on campus when we went to Rose homecoming last year. While I cannot speak for that chapter, I do believe they have been as successful as an organization can be on a small campus that is predominantly male.

There's a great link on the Rose AOII website on the steps the SIG took to bring another organization on campus and the timeline it entailed. Link

I know Tri Delta at Rose had a similar founding more than 10 years ago through an SIG. They were the second NPC organization on campus, preceeded by Chi Omega.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I might definately be in a minority saying this, but how much more diverse do you want greek life sororities to be? I personally find 7 a good assortment. It would be different if there were like two or three. Yes, out of 26 Nationals, 7 isn't a lot, but you have to look at the campus. Is there enough interest to support another chapter? I think it would be different if we weren't hearing that all but 1 (if I remember correctly from what I've read on this thread) are at total, but one chapter isn't. To me, how can a campus be ready for expansion when there is a chapter not at total. Yes, I remember reading that this chapter hasn't been at total for a number of years, but seriously greek life in general is only as strong as your weakest link.

Obviously, I don't go to appstate (my best friend did), but I have to agree with the lady from Chi Omega who said that she wanted the current chapters to become stronger before adding another one.
I disagree. While I don't have an opinion about App State, this reasoning hasn't played out historically. Sometimes one or more chapters are below total and/or do not take quota because of an image problem, and fair or not, PNMs have decided they would rather not be Greek than join that chapter. They might very well consider a new, untainted chapter. Like I said, I have no idea what the situation is at App State, but some chapters just won't ever become stronger, no matter what Panhellenic does.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I might definately be in a minority saying this, but how much more diverse do you want greek life sororities to be? I personally find 7 a good assortment. It would be different if there were like two or three. Yes, out of 26 Nationals, 7 isn't a lot, but you have to look at the campus. Is there enough interest to support another chapter? I think it would be different if we weren't hearing that all but 1 (if I remember correctly from what I've read on this thread) are at total, but one chapter isn't. To me, how can a campus be ready for expansion when there is a chapter not at total. Yes, I remember reading that this chapter hasn't been at total for a number of years, but seriously greek life in general is only as strong as your weakest link.

Obviously, I don't go to appstate (my best friend did), but I have to agree with the lady from Chi Omega who said that she wanted the current chapters to become stronger before adding another one.

Plus, with the possible switch to formal fall (the article said that the decision hadn't been formalized yet) no one knows how many women will be interested in participating and joining greek life.

I think greek life is wise in holding back for expansion until they see how a formal fall goes.

Is the campus using the new release figures?
I respect your opinion, and I appreciate your reply!

However, only one organization is truly under total, the rest are flourishing. Even this group has an incredibly large spring class, and therefore has grown significantly from the fall. Spring recruitment overall went extraordinarly well, except for the roughly 50 women who did not find homes.

Not including these ~50 women, our interest group includes 55 women. I'm definitely not positive on this, but I believe total at Appalachian is 80 women.

Class time!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
My husband is a Rose alumnus and AOII was extremely visible on campus when we went to Rose homecoming last year. While I cannot speak for that chapter, I do believe they have been as successful as an organization can be on a small campus that is predominantly male.

There's a great link on the Rose AOII website on the steps the SIG took to bring another organization on campus and the timeline it entailed. Link

I know Tri Delta at Rose had a similar founding more than 10 years ago through an SIG. They were the second NPC organization on campus, preceeded by Chi Omega.
Thanks ISUKappa. You pretty much summed it up perfectly. We are hoping to charter this semester.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauroo615 View Post
I respect your opinion, and I appreciate your reply!

However, only one organization is truly under total, the rest are flourishing. Even this group has an incredibly large spring class, and therefore has grown significantly from the fall. Spring recruitment overall went extraordinarly well, except for the roughly 50 women who did not find homes.

Not including these ~50 women, our interest group includes 55 women. I'm definitely not positive on this, but I believe total at Appalachian is 80 women.

Class time!
Were the new release figures used?

I don't think I'm understanding so I'll ask

Okay are you saying that if you counted the 50 women who didn't bid match and the 55 in your interest group, that over 100 women haven't "found their home"?

I guess it doesn't make sense to me (emphasis on to me, I'm not understanding it) to include the interest group number unless every woman in the interest group has gone through formal with an open mind and didn't bid match. In that case, yeah no home was found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes
I disagree. While I don't have an opinion about App State, this reasoning hasn't played out historically. Sometimes one or more chapters are below total and/or do not take quota because of an image problem, and fair or not, PNMs have decided they would rather not be Greek than join that chapter. They might very well consider a new, untainted chapter. Like I said, I have no idea what the situation is at App State, but some chapters just won't ever become stronger, no matter what Panhellenic does.
Great point! Didn't think of it that way. So very true!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Yes. I agree 100%.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
Yes. I agree 100%.
So do I.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I just read in our forum that quota was 17. If this is true, isn't that kind of a low quota to be adding a new chapter? I don't know enough about formal recruitment, but isn't quota based on how many women are participating in formal recruitment?

I don't know it just seems that if quota is 17 and quota is based on girls going through formal, 17 x 7 (number of houses) than the "total" would be 119. That just seems like a really small number if lauroo615 said approximately 50 women didn't bid match, which would leave 69 women that did. (These numbers sound off though, again I don't know enough about formal to know how quota is calculated).

It seems that if the numbers are accurate that there are some things that need to be worked out in sorority recruitment before they add another chapter. You want all your chapters to be strong before you add another competitor to the playing field.

Can anyone shed any light on the numbers and how many chapters made quota and how many didn't?

Like I said the quota I got was from my forum, when another sister posted the FR results. She listed quota and bids accepted. For our chapter at ASU she listed 17 as quota and bids accepted as 19, hence where I got the number of 17.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
One way Quota is set without using ranges

Quota is set based on the number of PMs who participate at a certain point. Let’s say there are 6 sororities, 4 rounds: Open house, Philanthropy, Sisterhood and Preference. Panhellenic decides to set Quota based on the number of women accepting Preference invitations. 150 women register for recruitment but by Preference, 100 accept, so Quota is 17.

Whenever expansion does occur, it is preferable that all chapters are at or above Total. That doesn't always happen especially if a chapter is so small that it isn't competative numbers wise. At that point, the chapter needs to decide if it is going to fish or cut bait. Who knows? They may be happy with thier size.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
Quota is set based on the number of PMs who participate at a certain point. Let’s say there are 6 sororities, 4 rounds: Open house, Philanthropy, Sisterhood and Preference. Panhellenic decides to set Quota based on the number of women accepting Preference invitations. 150 women register for recruitment but by Preference, 100 accept, so Quota is 17.

Whenever expansion does occur, it is preferable that all chapters are at or above Total. That doesn't always happen especially if a chapter is so small that it isn't competative numbers wise. At that point, the chapter needs to decide if it is going to fish or cut bait. Who knows? They may be happy with thier size.
Thank you for the clarification!

Is there a quota set before preference, so that chapters have a general idea?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

It isn't usually finalized before then. You have an estimate because you know how many PNMs are left, but there's no way to know how many will be left by Pref night for certain. Based on aopirose's example, estimated quota would have started at 25 (150/6) and worked its way down to 17 as girls dropped out or were completely cut.

You can look at statistics for previous years and guess but it's never certain.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually that's sort of the "old way" to set quota...if it's an RFM campus - which App is then quota is set as a quota range. Quota is run numerous times during bid matching to see which number works out best for the chapters and the pnm's involved. There were 112 women left in pref - why quota wasn't 16 I am unsure...

BUT we need to see the forest through the trees....quota has been:
2006 - 13
2005 - 13
2004 - 10!!!

I would like to see quota stabilize at 19 - or even 20 and the weaker group allowed a rush or 2 of final cultivation - even recolonization if that group chooses- before bringing a new group on.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphigal View Post
Actually that's sort of the "old way" to set quota...if it's an RFM campus - which App is then quota is set as a quota range. Quota is run numerous times during bid matching to see which number works out best for the chapters and the pnm's involved. There were 112 women left in pref - why quota wasn't 16 I am unsure...

BUT we need to see the forest through the trees....quota has been:
2006 - 13
2005 - 13
2004 - 10!!!

I would like to see quota stabilize at 19 - or even 20 and the weaker group allowed a rush or 2 of final cultivation - even recolonization if that group chooses- before bringing a new group on.
Just based on my campus's experience with bring a new chapter on, the presentations were in the Fall of '05 and they're just now coming onto campus in the Fall of '07, so there'd be 2 more years of rush first. If the number of PNMs stays stable the other chapters will have a chance.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what campus you are on but that is not a typical timeline. Many times you present in the spring, come on the the next semester (fall). Or present in the fall and come on in the spring.

I have been invovled in processes where you got on within a month of getting accepted. I have also been involved in one where it was longer than a year but a major housing inititative was involved.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphigal View Post
I don't know what campus you are on but that is not a typical timeline. Many times you present in the spring, come on the the next semester (fall). Or present in the fall and come on in the spring.

I have been invovled in processes where you got on within a month of getting accepted. I have also been involved in one where it was longer than a year but a major housing inititative was involved.
Interesting. That was Saint Louis University, and for all I know there were other issues involved (no houses though) in delaying.