GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,222
1 members and 2,221 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Southern Illinois U. charges Pi Kappa Alpha amid drowning of pledge

From the Daily Egyptian:

Burke Wasson

Daily Egyptian (Southern Illinois U.)
04/12/2004

(U-WIRE) CARBONDALE, Ill. -- One day after Southern Illinois University-Carbondale freshman and Pi Kappa Alpha pledge Brent Johnson's body was found in Cedar Lake, University administrators revealed on Friday that they have charged the fraternity chapter with numerous alcohol and risk management violations tied to Johnson's drowning.

The fraternity chapter, also known as the Pikes, faces eight charges of alleged violations of the University's alcohol and risk management code.

According to SIUC Spokeswoman Sue Davis, University officials sent a letter to the fraternity chapter Wednesday notifying its members of the charges.

Katherine Sermersheim, director of SIUC Student Development, wrote the letter to the Pikes and scheduled a hearing to discuss the charges at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Illinois Room on the second floor of the SIUC Student Center.

Sermersheim will also conduct the hearing and decide what penalties to hand to the fraternity.

"We've already done some of the investigation, and the hearing is basically to outline the charges and get their reaction to that," said Larry Dietz, SIUC vice chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. "That's the purpose of it."

Dietz said the possible results of the hearing could range from the University taking no action against the Pikes to permanently banning the fraternity from SIUC.

The vice chancellor previously said if the Pikes' camping trip involved alcohol, the fraternity would be banned at the University.

According to University policy, the fraternity has the right to close the hearing to the public.

Dietz said the Pikes could also choose not to have a hearing and simply acknowledge the charges against them.

If that happens, the vice chancellor said the University would move quickly to decide penalties against the organization.

"If we don't have a hearing, we will go on the basis of the information that we have currently and make some decisions," Dietz said.

"This is an incident that resulted in the loss of life, and we owe it to the family, our University community and to the fraternity to move as quickly as possible to have the hearing and reach a conclusion."

As of Sunday afternoon, Dietz said the Pikes have not contacted University officials concerning how they wish to handle the hearing.

"We've not heard anything from the fraternity," Dietz said. "Technically, they have until Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Either way, we'd like to have a little advance notice so we can proper arrangements."

Dietz said if University officials decide to punish the organization, the Pikes would have a chance to appeal their decision to his office, the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

"I have an assistant who hears appeals both in student judicial cases and in cases such as this," Dietz said. "If they appeal at that level, the decision for the fraternity would be final."

The Pikes are already on an indefinite suspension from the University.

Eric Wulf, the executive director for the national Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, said the SIUC chapter chose to suspend itself from all University functions and events.

Johnson had been missing and presumed drowned since early April 4 after he and another fraternity pledge fell from a canoe in the lake.

Jackson County Sheriff Robert Burns said the deceased freshman was camping with 11 other Pike pledges and three Pike members in the Cove Hollow area on the Cedar Lake shore.

According to the Sheriff's Office, the rest of the fraternity pledges and members were asleep at the campsite and unaware that the canoe carrying Johnson and another pledge capsized.

Burns refused to comment on whether alcohol was involved in the camping trip but did say people who were at the campsite have been interviewed and would continue to be interviewed by police.

Besides conducting an investigation into the Pikes' tragic camping trip, University officials are also asking people to make memorial contributions to a scholarship fund set up by Johnson's family.

Anyone interested can send contributions to the following address: Scholarship Fund, c/o Busey Bank, 312 E. Main St., Mahomet, Ill., 61853.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

A scapegoat?

While the pledge's death is tragic, it looks like the school is looking for a scapegoat, and they want one FAST.

The PiKA Headquarters has assisted the GA State (blackface) chapter with legal help, and I hope they will get their lawyers on this too.

Having a 'life or death' hearing with 24 hours notice is not exactly fair.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: A scapegoat?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
While the pledge's death is tragic, it looks like the school is looking for a scapegoat, and they want one FAST.

The PiKA Headquarters has assisted the GA State (blackface) chapter with legal help, and I hope they will get their lawyers on this too.

Having a 'life or death' hearing with 24 hours notice is not exactly fair.
My best friend from high school is a PiKA & he has told me in the past that the fraternity has a long history of hazing, not just within one chapter but nationally. This may be why they are so quick to judge...?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: A scapegoat?

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
My best friend from high school is a PiKA & he has told me in the past that the fraternity has a long history of hazing, not just within one chapter but nationally. This may be why they are so quick to judge...?
Uhh, no...the International Fraternity does not have a long history of hazing. In fact, Pi Kappa Alpha was the first fraternity to abolish hazing way back in like 1870 or something. Where was/is he a Pike at?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I hope there are more updates to come on this situation!

It is a tradgic situation by any means. But, what worried me in this is that it was it was X number of New Associates and 3 Actives. That brings to mind the wrong conotation and maybe hazing. If it wasnt, so be it.

But for any infractions of Hazing, The Schools are coming down very hard. When will they learn that what can and should be fun can turn disastorious!

If it is true, they should be delt with.

But it is still a sad situation and a tragic loss of life.

We as Greeks are under a Very Big MicroScope and any infraction reigns Fire upon all of us!

Beleive me, I get very angry when I see situations and none more so when My Fraternity is mentioned!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 04-13-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: A scapegoat?

Quote:
Originally posted by KEPike
Uhh, no...the International Fraternity does not have a long history of hazing. In fact, Pi Kappa Alpha was the first fraternity to abolish hazing way back in like 1870 or something. Where was/is he a Pike at?
He is now @ the University of Louisville.

On a side note, we all know that you can abolish hazing all you want but people still do it.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Never Had That Reputation

Pi Kappa Alpha has never had that reputation. Hazing has occurred, but we've never been a big hazing fraternity. We haven't eliminated it to the extent that Lambda Chi has, but hazing in IIKA is dealt with strongly and is rare.
This is a real tragedy; a terrible loss. However, I don't know that a group of pledges on a camping trip should be considered hazing.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Southern Illinois Bans Pi Kappa Alpha

Southern Illinois U. has banned Pi Kappa Alpha. The fraternity has several days to decide if it will appeal the decision. The Associated Press and the CBS station in Chicago have a story with some details --

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...111173552.html
Old 04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: A scapegoat?

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
A lot of fraternitys have a reputation for hazing, earned or unearned...not sure its fair to single out Pike any more than anyone else...im sure they would have been this quick to judge on any fraternity-just the unfortunate reputation everyone seems to have
Old 05-07-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
It's a horrible situation, but the fact is that Pike isnt the only Fraternity that has problems with these issues. We're not a large hazing fraternity at all.

I think it's funny how Lambda's keep posting subjects on how Pike chapters cause problems. Whats the deal guys?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I am not really sure that remark was called for! As you can see, I am a LXA and I did not back what was done to the PIKE Chapter there.

If it was a fun outing and some Guys went out and did there thing and a Tragic Death happened, then I do not think it was hazing?

While it is just my opinion, I do not know all of the situation, just what was reported. I was not there, were you?

But please dont preport that LXA is against PKE! That sounds stupid amd uncalled for! It was just reporting of a situation that happened. We as Greeks are All Saddened By It.

Dont just point a finger as the Rightious one of Your Fine Organization.

Yes We as individual Chapters have had problems and We are all sadden to find one that was ours who did it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-11-2004, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
Then stop just commenting on the NEGATIVE news of my fraternity, we do a lot more GOOD than BAD. I dont need to hear about chapters mistakes everytime it happens....
Old 05-11-2004, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I think if you check back on other posts around the boards, you will PKE are not the only Organization mentioned. LXA was taken off of ASU, other Fraternitys have been mentioned to numerous to list.

When something happens by a Greek Organization it affects all Greeks.

I think the situatuation SIU is tragic and did not sound like hazing at all. But Schools are coming down hard on anything that even remotely looks like hazing.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-11-2004, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
PKE

What are we Pi Kappa Epsilon?

C'mon Tom Earp. I know you are smarter than this

Should I call LCA...UpsidedownV CA ?
It's Earpspeak You'll become more accustomed to it the more you try to read it..heh
Old 05-11-2004, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Oh, I am sorry that I did not just say Pi Kappa Alpha!

Does it need to be spelled out each time!

OKAY, There are a lot of P's in Greekdom! Da!

No Rio, not true earp speak yet!

yes, I did F Up!

Da Me!

Just was looking at something else and did a mind transfer! Hard whe you get old and hungry or early in the morning!

Something to look forward to!

Sorry Bobby!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni