GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,274
1 members and 2,273 guests
Tridentia

Old 09-20-2002, 03:33 PM

Besides the 7 listed above, University of British Columbia also used to have both Alpha Omicron Pi (closed in '85) and Kappa Alpha Theta (closed in '80).
The AOII's in Vancouver are still very active alumnae and I know that they do have a serious interest in wanting to re-open their UBC chapter at some point in the future.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome, UBC has one of the strongest greek systems in the country...keep us posted
Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

For more info on Greek life in Canada, visit http://www.canadiangreeks.com

Roses,
Shala

Alpha Omicron Pi '94
Kappa Lambda chapter
U of Calgary
Old 09-21-2002, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice

There was an article about sororities in Seventeen? Do you remember what issue?

That's kind of funny, because I remember that back in, like 1997, there was an article in Seventeen about rush at the University of Michigan, and it was one of the first things I ever read/watched/heard of that painted sororities in a positive light!

Anyway, good luck to you, I hope you have lots of fun during recruitment!
I only remember one article about rush in Seventeen, so it could very well be the same one. I just remember reading about how the sororities choose to invite people back and thought it was really negative. I guess it's just how people view things, and their pre-disposed ideas affect that.

Anyway, today was my open house where we went to 20-minute parties with each sorority. ALL of them were sooo nice, and really friendly and warm. There weren't many girls in my Rho Chi group today, so there were usually more than one sorority member with each us at a time. Some looked a little restless, I just hope that wasn't a reaction to me!

The first party was so wonderful. I absolutely loved everyone I talked to. They were so sweet and fun. They are one of my favourites.

The second party was equally as great. I had some great, fun conversations with a number of girls, and really hope they remember me! This group is also one of my favourites. I found my top two in the first two visites!

The third room, whether they were getting into the swing of things or just their method, changed people really fast, and I found it gave me less of a positive impression, just 'cause I didn't get to really talk with anyone.

The fourth party was fun. More conversation and less "pleasentries". I liked them, and could see myself being a part of their sorority.

The fifth party was nice, not as much of a connection, but they were all really pleasent.

The sixth room I did not feel like I had anything in common with, but there were nice chats, and the girls were friendly and very warm.

The seventh party was fun, but we were all a little tired. They didn't seem that interested, and were calming down considerably with everyone. But again, they made an effort to be pleasent and receptive. they seemed like a fun group.

All of the groups were warm, welcoming, and friendly. I really felt a connection with my first, second, and fourth sororities, and could see a connection with a few others. I am keeping an open mind though, as it was a long day, so the last ones are harder, and it is difficult to get an accurate impression from just 20 minutes. Tomorrow I'll go back to 5 of them for Invitationals, and I really hope I get my top four, or at least two of them. But I'll wait until the end of the whole process to really make a decision (but I LOVE my first two!!).

Tired, happy, and excited! I'll let you know how I make out!
Old 09-22-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Bumpity bump bump bump ...

can't wait to hear your update & experiences after today's Invitationals!!

We at GC love reading rush threads!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This is such a tiring experience! Not counting the two hour bus trip home at night, I've been gone practically all weekend. In the morning I'm So nervous, at night I'm so tired and happy, and during the day I'm so excited! It's been such a blast, and I love the whole experience! I want to apologize in advance for all the details, but the rushees can't talk together about specifics, and it would be easier for them to figure out who I'm talking about with any details. So, I need an outlet for all me excitedness!

Today I almost threw up waiting to get our paper that said where we were going back to. Being cut down from seven to five isn't that bad, but they said the average was 3, so I could have had only one party. Luckily, not only did I get five, but my top 2 both invited me back! Yeah!

I thought I'd just mention, there is no sorority house currently on campus (old abolished law that more than 5? women in a house is a brothel), but they are working on getting one built in the next few years, which would be so cool to be around for! So, our parties are in a building on campus, with an auditorium where we meet, and the parties upstairs in smaller calssrooms (all decorated really nice, you can tell the girls put a lot of time in!).

Party#1- They were my least favourite from last round, but I know how hard it is to meet people in such a short time, so I went in with an open mind. I ended up having a way more interesting conversations, and really enjoyed these girls. Still not my top choice, but I wouldn't mind going back again to see if I get even better feelings.

Party #2 - One of my top two from last round, and still running strong! They were all really great, had some great conversations, and really like the feel of the room and people. Second choice, right now.

Party #3 - I felt a real strong connection with these girls as well, and it just got better and better today. I talked to pretty much every girl in the room, and loved them all! We had some fun, relaxed conversations, that flowed easily. I left the room feeling incrediably welcome, and like they really wanted me to join as well! Fingers crossed, I fell in love with this sorority!

Party #4 - In my top five last time, and also got better. Enjoyed the girls I chatted with, and I could see myself coming back again.

Party#5 - While I had no definite opinion about this one before, it left me cold today. The girls were nice, but conversations were a little stiff, and I didn't feel very welcome. I'm pretty sure this is not the place for me.

We had to rank the sororities again, and they encouraged us to rank all, in case numbers changed, and one that didn't invited us back initially changes its mind. With about 150 of us rushing, the large sororities could invite back 100, and the smaller ones could have all of us back. The two I didn't receive invites back to I thought I liked, so I ranked them in their as well:

Party #3, Party #2, Party #4, yesterday's that I didn't get invited back into, Party#1, and Party#5.

I would love to give you guys details on the parties, but I don't want to give them away. Here are some from all of them mixed:

All of their shirts are so cute! There were some sporty one, one group changed from cute baseball shirts to tank tops with their name in sequins, Pink Ladies, Red Hot Tomatoes, etc.

The rooms were gorgeous, drapped in colours from streamers, balloons (I think), fabric, and tons of pictures! Most had something to drink, really nice punches or ice tea. One had cute star ice cubes. But all the rooms were boiling!

Usually there was at least one girl in each room that was losing her voice.

Wednesday we can go back to a maximum of three for Philanthropy, and we'll do arts and crafts, or something like that. They don't tell us where we are going until we get there, so I'm hoping (and knowing) these next two days will go fast! I really want my number one choice! I think I really belong there, but still look forward to getting to know the others as well! I'll keep you posted, and sorry again for the lengthy story of my day!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't apologize for the length of your post! It's terribly interesting, and believe me, we're all reading with baited breath!

I loved your comment on the one girl in every house who is losing her voice! That was usually me!

Please keep us up to date!

honeychile
Old 09-24-2002, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

uptown_girl,
Yes, it is a tiring experience isn't it? But at the same time a lot of fun. It sounds like your schools sororities are doing just fine without houses...I think the sisterhood can be just as developed and strong without a house.
As far as Rush is concerned the chapters seem to all be doing beautifully, the decorations and outfits sound adorable.
You sound like a great pnm, you are keeping an open mind and have a great, positive attitude, this will serve you well throughout recruitment.
Good luck with your next events...please let us know the details, we are all rooting for you!
violets
Old 09-24-2002, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to you! UBC is such a gorgeous campus - I vacationed in BC about 10 years ago and just loved it. Have wanted to go back to Vancouver and Victoria ever since! Hope your next few days of recruitment are as great as the first few!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:39 PM
UMgirl

Heh, funny cuz I read the article that feature UMich's rush and thats what got me wanting to go Greek more. The house in the article is Alpha Phi's

Good Luck with Rush!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:49 PM

I will be a UBC on Wednesday, but I will be hanging out in the alumnae room! I will let everyone know how many girls are going through, etc!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

That's so cool, CutiePie2000! You guys have no idea (well, actually, you probably do, but anyways!) how excited I am. I'm trying to calm down a bit though, because I've gotten really attached to a certain sorority, and I don't want to be too disappointed if I don't get into that particular one! Tomorrow is Philanthropy night, and we can return to a maximum of 3 sororities. I don't know how I'll get through the day! Anyway, I'll give you guys an update Thursday, or maybe Wednesday night!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

No update tonight, boo hoo! I should be writing a paper right now, but must check all these great threads before I get started! Good luck tomorrow! Please think about letting us know which houses you are going too!
Old 09-26-2002, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay guys, just got back from Philanthropy night, and I could not be more excited! With an allowed maximum of three parties to return to, I got.......my top three! I can't believe it, I was so happy when I got my paper! From what my Rho Chi said, once you've gotten this far, you're pretty much guaranteed a bid somewhere (the quota is the number of girls rushing, divided by the number of sororities). I still love one particular sorority a lot, but realized tonight that I like the other two almost as much, so unless something drastic happens, I'll be pretty happy come Sunday Bid Day. I returned to (in no particular order) Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Alpha Delta Pi.

There are no real interesting details. All the groups really have grown on me during the past week. I've met a bunch of girls that even if I don't end up in their sorority, I still hope to become friends with (including my Rho Chi, I love ya girl!). The Philanthropy projects were cute: Gamma did decorating paper bags for children in the hospital to take around on Halloween, Kappa was pillow cases for going over children's IVs, and Alpha Delta Pi was painting pots to plant violets in for Ronald McDonald House. Love, love, love the girls, and can't wait for Saturday's invitationals!

More updates to come this weekend!
Old 09-26-2002, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Congradulations on being so happy with the sororities you have been invited back too...I am also really happy to see ADPi on there...ok...I just couldnt resist the shameless plug there.