GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,411
2 members and 2,409 guests
gatordeltapgh, naraht

Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Article about Recruitment Numbers in today's Daily Mississippian
http://www.thedmonline.com/article/s...t-numbers-rise
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
My cousin's big sis was from Mississippi. She had a sign on her door: "Shalom Y'all".

Unfortunately, not everyone is as sensitive to other's beliefs as I feel they should, which is sad. If I remember right, there was an incident a few years ago at Miami University where Greek Week hit smack in the middle of the Holidays, and it did not go over very well.

Today I told my boss, who is Jewish, that he needs to stop planning audits during the High Holidays. I am having a heck of a time scheduling people for meetings when they need to fly home early for each of two weeks. Half of our team is Jewish, from reformed to orthodox.
I have a Shalom Y'all t-shirt I got in Savannah (or rather, got from my mom's closet that she got when we were in Savannah).

In any case, a good way to keep Jewish women out of the Greek system is to hold rush over the high holidays. I'm glad that takes priority over interfering with a football game.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM

We always had it either earlier or later than the holidays, but never during. Even if that meant pushing it to the first weekend in October (not normal for us.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Boy, did I get my a$$ chewed for bringing this up on Sunday. The school has only 5 chapters and they still have 4 rounds.
Double posting because I didn't see your comment. What was the "a** chewing" reasoning?
My opinion: it's counterproductive to have that many rounds with that number of chapters. I guess schools have to do what's best for them, but really, cutting a round out hasn't affected retention or anything like that here. If anything, making it 3 rounds has helped it. And also, if you think about it, the round that we lost was that first day where the rounds were only 20 minutes each anyhow. It's not like we cut out, say, House Tours (45 minutes each) and we go straight from Philanthropy to Pref. It's a very beginning round.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish someone would do a live recruitment story!!!My daughter was so hoarse last night !! She is feeling the typical first rush angst and absolutely hates cutting anyone!! She likes everyone she had! Oh if only everyone felt that way haha and we lived in a world of rainbows and unicorns!!Can't wait to hear stories. Good Luck to all the PNMS on their second day!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Double posting because I didn't see your comment. What was the "a** chewing" reasoning?
Sounds like someone on Panhel in a decision making position had one too many people end up in her chapter that made them say "oy vey, I wish we'd had an extra round to get to know these girls."
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
My opinion: it's counterproductive to have that many rounds with that number of chapters. I guess schools have to do what's best for them, but really, cutting a round out hasn't affected retention or anything like that here. If anything, making it 3 rounds has helped it. And also, if you think about it, the round that we lost was that first day where the rounds were only 20 minutes each anyhow. It's not like we cut out, say, House Tours (45 minutes each) and we go straight from Philanthropy to Pref. It's a very beginning round.
It was a long ramble from one particular advisor of another chapter
"We've always done it this way"
"It won't work any other way"
"BW isn't like any other college"
""If it ain't broke don't fix it"
"Too many girls drop out" (too many already drop out)
"It would never work"
"We would never get a chance to know the girls in just 3 rounds"
"I don't know how schools like OSU with 1000 girls going through do it" (um, OSU never had 1000 girls going through, it's deferred so you weed out a lot of the Grade Risks and know more of the girls, 80% of PNMs are from Ohio and someone in the house knows a majority of PNMS and WE ARE ORGANIZED)
(this was the point I really stopped listening to her ramble)

Basically, there was no reasoning to what she was saying and was appauled that I asked the question; she just didn't want to change. When she told me that the ONLY other college in the country that had a similar recruitment to BW was Akron ("oh, and maybe Ashland"), I nearly busted out laughing. You don't know how much I wanted to ask, so how many other colleges have you observed this? And, BW doesn't have House Tours because....no houses.

Personally, I think they need to go to deferred recruitment and do 3 rounds. BW is starting to get a larger number of Sophomores going through which tells you, they aren't ready to pledge when they begin college. If no chapters have reached total after formal, something is wrong with the system.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM

I think it's really funny when Ohio greeks at smaller schools tend to think that OSU has this HUGEEEEEE greek system or that their school's recruitment circumstances are special.

I don't want to hijack the Ole Miss thread further, but you can PM me more about BW if you want. Even as someone who lives in NE OH, I admittedly don't know a lot about other OH school's recruitment structures (outside of the others in the MAC and OSU.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think they need to go to deferred recruitment and do 3 rounds. BW is starting to get a larger number of Sophomores going through which tells you, they aren't ready to pledge when they begin college. If no chapters have reached total after formal, something is wrong with the system.
If FR in fall includes first semester freshmen I can kind of understand their reluctance to lessen the amount of time spent with the women; however, you're probably right in that those issues would be eliminated with deferred.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know how many were released and/or withdrew after Philanthropy (Wed. & Thur.) ?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My Ole Miss PNM is having a great time! Skit round today.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

So glad your PNM is having a good time, dgdramadawg!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two rec girls going through recruitment at Ole Miss and I have had heard nothing from them! I am dying over here but wishing them well...I keep reading this thread hoping for a glimmer of how things are going.

Keeping my fingers crossed that both find a home!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard that about 65% of PNM's returned for Skit Night.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy cow that means 400+ girls dropped or were dropped goodness surely that is incorrect!