GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,355
1 members and 2,354 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
It means all of those things, but I don't remember hearing anything in my ritual about being a brainless, spineless puppet who can't express a differing opinion, or who can only spout sunshine and rainbows instead of telling people how I really feel about something.
Rock on with yo bad self. I agree completely.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
It means all of those things, but I don't remember hearing anything in my ritual about being a brainless, spineless puppet who can't express a differing opinion, or who can only spout sunshine and rainbows instead of telling people how I really feel about something.
I'm all for the expression of different opinions on here (or anywhere). However, there's a big difference between expressing a differing opinion and being rude. Some people seem to have forgotten that.

The other problem is that posters aren't just expressing a differing opinion -- they're attacking the poster or making snide comments about the poster's opinion.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
I feel like when anyone says such and such is a "reflection on your letters," it really means that sorority women should be meek and polite at all costs. Really, though, isn't such a statement sort of passive-aggressive in that it is insinuating that others are not behaving as well as the poster thinks is ideal?
Word. I think the entire creation of this thread is passive-aggressively aimed towards a few people on this board, and not all of us as a whole.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 08-05-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I am smart enough to look at everyone's comments, attitudes and opinions here and know that they are that person's personal comments, attitudes and opinions and not that of their organization, or any other group they may belong to.

I also was assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that most other GC posters and lurkers were that intelligent.

It would be kind of sad if there were only, like, 10 people that smart here. Not a good advertisement for college educations! Someone might read it and think badly of your school for not educating you properly, and that will give posters here a bad impresson.

We are representing our schools educational abilities in everything we post here, we don't want to make them look bad!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I really love my sisters.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

And they love you back =)

Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

my reasoning for creating this thread certainly is not aimed at the entire board. it is in fact directed to the people who seem to think that expressing their opinion is the same as being rude and nasty to people as well as attacking others for having a differing opinion.

quite frankly, i am trying to be polite. we have been doing a fabulous job of providing evidence to support the stereotype of snotty sorority bitches. as i mentioned previously, it is less of a reflection on alpha phi or agd, but more on all sororities in general. my non-greek friends reading this board would say that this is exactly why they never wanted to join a sorority...because of "those" girls.

the majority of the drama on this board is being caused by a few people who want to get rid of tom earp as a moderator. let's call a spade a spade, ladies. i imagine that there is a more professional/ appropriate way to deal with that then attacking other members of the community.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, but we can't call a spade a spade in case someone feels that it's not right to be honest as it reflects badly upon our organizations that we are allowed to express our personal opinions, however unpopular or un-PC they may be.

Let's call it a Purdy Pink Fluffy Flowery Spade of Love and Sisterhood instead.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

i can't say you have been calling a spade a spade by attacking other people for expressing their opinions when your problem is with tom earp and his position as a moderator.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

Nobody ever said you can't express your opinion, as long as one attacks an IDEA and not the PERSON. There are some people here who don't seem to know the difference.

I said this at the beginning of this whole silliness.... and I'll say it again.... The proper thing to do would have been to PM Tom with any concerns regarding the forum.

If no satisfaction was reached with Tom, then the next step should have been to PM John and settle it with him.

All of this should have been handled PRIVATELY. This never should have become a public lynching.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
i can't say you have been calling a spade a spade by attacking other people for expressing their opinions when your problem is with tom earp and his position as a moderator.
My only issue with Tom is his lack of knowledge with NPC AI procedures, and my wish that a mod with that knowledge be appointed in this forum. There is no moderator in this forum currently. I have no problem with him being the moderator of the Alumni Involvement forum, I just wish we had a moderator of our own in here.

My other issue is his odd refusal to do a simple request I made to move some threads in here - some very helpful threads regarding AI - some of which I was hoping I could bump up to get this forum talking about other issues.

But apparently it's more fun for people to post threads like this instead.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel

I said this at the beginning of this whole silliness.... and I'll say it again.... The proper thing to do would have been to PM Tom with any concerns regarding the forum.

If no satisfaction was reached with Tom, then the next step should have been to PM John and settle it with him.

Unfortunately, when I contacted Tom (via PM and this board) about moving some old threads in here (to get us talking about other stuff) he said I was haraguing him, doing his unpaid job and causing shit.

John unfortunately isn't around very much, and neither is the other Alumni Involvement forum moderator.

This forum is currently unmoderated...which is a shame as it could use some direction.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
Unfortunately, when I contacted Tom (via PM and this board) about moving some old threads in here (to get us talking about other stuff) he said I was haraguing him, doing his unpaid job and causing shit.

John unfortunately isn't around very much, and neither is the other Alumni Involvement forum moderator.

This forum is currently unmoderated...which is a shame as it could use some direction.
As I understand it, John appoints moderators. If he "isn't around much," then what is accomplished by this public lynching? Isn't he the one who appoints moderators? Do you not agree that taking any complaints directly and privately to John would have accomplished more? As it is, some people have given themselves black eyes, and have ruined any credibility they may have had.

As far as the forum getting direction.. it *HAD* direction, before all of this ugliness started.

But, yes, I do agree with you on one point.. it needs some direction NOW.. it needs to have some ugly threads purged and some people suspended.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel

But, yes, I do agree with you on one point.. it needs some direction NOW.. it needs to have some ugly threads purged and some people suspended.
Please.

Nothing said in the AI subforum merits "suspension".

Just because what was said in the forum isn't to your liking doesn't mean people should be banned. Grow a thicker spine.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned

B?¬ q&\i]Originally posted by OTW [/i]
Please.

Nothing said in the AI subforum merits "suspension".

Just because what was said in the forum isn't to your liking doesn't mean people should be banned. Grow a thicker spine.
[/QUOTE]

You just proved my point.... yet another personal attack.
Closed Thread