GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,228
0 members and 2,228 guests
No Members online

Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a thread about NPC legacies in the sorority recruitment forum. I don't think how fraternities handle legacies has any relevance.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
This is a thread about NPC legacies in the sorority recruitment forum. I don't think how fraternities handle legacies has any relevance.
Oops, sorry about that. Carry on

Still hungover from last nite
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned

Exaggeration aside, it's interesting to speculate which schools/chapters really do have the largest legacy-to-quota ratio. Indiana makes sense because of its quota system -- and some of the older chapters have a smaller number of beds. I imagine the organizations at Texas that have lots of other chapters in the state would have to be up there too.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still seeing very few legacies get bids at their legacy houses at the more competitive schools. You guys who've been involved at the schools with the mega-pledge classes (80 and up): are your sororities pledging more legacies?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I know three girls who pledged their mother's sororities last year (Chi O, Zeta and Alpha Chi Omega), but I really am seeing and hearing more and more about girls getting dropped by their legacy chapters...UNLESS they have a bio sister in a sorority and attend the same school while sis is still an undergrad.

I had three PNMs (at different schools) one year who were in that situation. All three were dropped after second round by every chapter except the one their bio sisters were members of.

I have long noticed that bio sisters on the same campus usually pledge the same sorority. For years, I assumed it was family thing, but now I wonder. Does the younger sister pledge because it's the sorority she truly wants, or is it because she wasn't given any other options? Hmmmm....
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
I know three girls who pledged their mother's sororities last year (Chi O, Zeta and Alpha Chi Omega), but I really am seeing and hearing more and more about girls getting dropped by their legacy chapters...UNLESS they have a bio sister in a sorority and attend the same school while sis is still an undergrad.

I had three PNMs (at different schools) one year who were in that situation. All three were dropped after second round by every chapter except the one their bio sisters were members of.

I have long noticed that bio sisters on the same campus usually pledge the same sorority. For years, I assumed it was family thing, but now I wonder. Does the younger sister pledge because it's the sorority she truly wants, or is it because she wasn't given any other options? Hmmmm....
Me too.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post

I was in that situation. I technically wasn't given a choice since everyone cut me after I asked them all if they knew my sister the AOII (PNMs, don't do that.) But, depending on how close the sisters are in age, there may be a feeling of loyalty to the sister that supersedes the process. I honestly would have felt really weird being in another sorority than my sister. Do I think I would have been given a chance at another group had I not given them the impression I was all in at AOII? Sure... My campus LOVED to poach other groups legacies! I think it is really hard to draw conclusions without talking to the girls about their experiences.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I was in that situation. I technically wasn't given a choice since everyone cut me after I asked them all if they knew my sister the AOII (PNMs, don't do that.) But, depending on how close the sisters are in age, there may be a feeling of loyalty to the sister that supersedes the process. I honestly would have felt really weird being in another sorority than my sister. Do I think I would have been given a chance at another group had I not given them the impression I was all in at AOII? Sure... My campus LOVED to poach other groups legacies! I think it is really hard to draw conclusions without talking to the girls about their experiences.
That was the climate at FSU in the late 70's early 80's but that has not been the case for a some time. What I am seeing now is that chapters are not willing to take a chance on a legacy, especially if the legacy chapter is a chapter that is popular with the PNMs. The best chance the legacy has is to not be invited back to her legacy group early in the recruitment process, so that other groups see that she is now "fair game."
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Exaggeration aside, it's interesting to speculate which schools/chapters really do have the largest legacy-to-quota ratio. Indiana makes sense because of its quota system -- and some of the older chapters have a smaller number of beds. I imagine the organizations at Texas that have lots of other chapters in the state would have to be up there too.
At Indiana, at least for us, if we extended a bid to every legacy that registered for recruitment, it would easily be half our new member class. However with now 22 chapters, it's not uncommon for girls to be legacies to more than one chapter, and not uncommon for legacies to cut their legacy chapters.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
That was the climate at FSU in the late 70's early 80's but that has not been the case for a some time. What I am seeing now is that chapters are not willing to take a chance on a legacy, especially if the legacy chapter is a chapter that is popular with the PNMs. The best chance the legacy has is to not be invited back to her legacy group early in the recruitment process, so that other groups see that she is now "fair game."
That's FSU. I think we should be really clear that at really competitive recruitments this may be an issue. Other locations it probably is not.

AOII

Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

That's why i prefaced my statement "at FSU"
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
That's why i prefaced my statement "at FSU"
I know what you meant, but the original discussion was not about FSU is why I countered back. You said my statement was like FSU in the 70s and 80s, which could confuse PNMs that it is was like all recruitments in the 70s and 80s but has now changed. I just wanted to make that clear.

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-20-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Back in the day it was much easier to keep legacies, both yours and other groups', around until right before prefs even if you weren't really that interested in them. Sometimes the extra rounds would give those PNMs a chance to wow a chapter so it would work in their favor. Now with RFM and its required massive cuts, if you're a strong chapter, you simply don't have the luxury of keeping around PNMs you're initially not too interested in and more legacies are dropped as soon as allowable by the organization.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment at one of the most competitive schools last year and was cut by all of my legacies after Philanthropy round. I know that my mom was shocked - she didn't realize that because it was so competitive and there were so many legacies (seriously, I think there were two others in my Rho Chi group alone) that it was absolutely not a guaranteed bid. I know that she was upset because she told me she "Always thought I'd go Chi O" and knew that I really liked them during rush. She thought that because she did everything right - did the legacy introduction form, had her little and my cousin (an alumna of that particular chapter) write me recs - I had a really good shot.

I was prepared, though - I knew that unless I really impressed them, they would probably drop me just because of numbers. I'm an out-of-state student and they traditionally pledge a higher level of in-state girls, I didn't know anybody in the chapter...I just saw it coming. I would have absolutely loved to be a Chi O (and honestly still love the chapter), but for whatever reason, it just wasn't in the cards.

My two grandmothers' houses dropped me after Philanthropy too, but I didn't like their chapters nearly as much as my mom's - and they'd already told me that it wouldn't upset them if I pledged elsewhere. It was a little hard to find that they all dropped me, but it all worked out in the end.

I do think that having three legacies may have hurt me a little...of course I don't know anything about other chapters' membership selection, but I know that it had to have been a little discouraging. My chapter wouldn't necessarily drop someone in my position (obviously they didn't drop me), but I know that I was a real "get" - they thought that because I had three "ready made" connections already that I'd choose one of them. Luckily, they didn't give up. But because cuts are so heavy, I can see that being an easy reason to cut someone.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

When my niece went through at a competitive PAC 12 school with a sitting sister I told her not to list her legacy status on the recruitment form. It also helped that my 2 nieces look nothing alike. She had a very good recruitment. I don't think she would have pledged the same Chapter as her sister had her sister not been in that particular Chapter. I think there was some pressure from sister and mom and dad.

The sitting sister legacy is a hard one. At my campus I would say 9 out 10 sisters end up in the same house as their sister BUT I have seen a couple of times where they do not go together.