GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,740
2 members and 2,738 guests
aolviatopz5295

Old 04-09-2001, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Hey!! Im goin to UA also next year, and have decided to rush. If you find out ANYTHING at all informative PLEASE e-mail me. liz@scott.net. Well where are you from?? Did you go April 7th for panhellenic weekend?? It was cool. Good luck
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-09-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

UA has a Panhellenic Weekend? What is it about? What do you do?
Old 04-09-2001, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Yes, you are all at an advantage rushing now. You can go look at the national websites-- which are pretty much all www.nameofGLO.org-- ie: www.kappaalphatheta.org EXCEPT for chi omega which is .com - www.chiomega.com (chi o's ORG site is out of date)

Anyway, you can look at the nationals sites and get a feel and a flavor for each chapter. When I rushed way back in the dark ages of 1989, we went in knowing nothing and winged it--not the best strategy.

Amy

[This message has been edited by amycat412 (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyglo:
(I know that when someone says they are looking for a place to hold an office or make a difference that means something to me),
Hi Ilovemyglo, or anyone else who can answer my question! I had always thought that that might be considered pushy? Or is it good? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2001, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie:
Hi Ilovemyglo, or anyone else who can answer my question! I had always thought that that might be considered pushy? Or is it good? Thanks!
yeah, that might be questionable. it's kind of like saying in your college interview that you want to be student body president. maybe you could talk about what you have to contribute as a sister in a more low-key way. you could say how you are a good team player and a good friend. i know during our rush, we don't ask girls what they have to contribute to our chapter. it's our job to impress THEM. we are trying to show them why they should want to be one of us. we wouldn't put anyone on the spot like that. my school does deferred rush for freshmen in january, so by the time rush comes around, we already have a pretty good idea of which girls are going to be great additions and which would be flakes and not serious about their obligations. you can learn a lot about a person by observing their actions and actually getting to know them over a semester, rather than flat out asking a stranger what they would contribute. of course they're gonna give a canned answer about how they want to be a leader, etc.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I am my chapter's rush chair, so here is some ideas from our side with another thought on the perfume note, the south is also notorious for bugs and since you don't want to scratch yourself in front of people after showering for the night put some skin so soft or some sort of bug away lotion on, that way the smell will dispell by the time you head out for rush. The watch tip is really a good one to, because when you look at your watch it tells me "I am bored and don't care about what you are saying". Don't wear any gawdy jewelry because it is ditracting. The earrings that Jennifer Lopez helped bring back are cool at clubs not at rush. Be yourself. Look your best, but remember looks are not what sororities are looking for, they are looking for how well do you click?, how would you fit in? What do you have to offer the sorority (I know that when someone says they are looking for a place to hold an office or make a difference that means something to me), people look at your presence, how would you represent the sorority and it's ideals. Read up on the sororities at your school, but not just their local chapters, look at the national organization. Find out what they are about. Take a list of questions in your pocket for each house and before you walk in look at that houses list. It makes a huge difference when someone comes in and says "I was reading about XYZ and it says that your philanthropy is this... what type of fundraisers do you hold for this" My favorite is when they ask why our mascot is what it is or what it represents. If there is anything else you need to know, just e mail me. I can help you as much as possible.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

hey guys!! I haven't been on here is sooo long to check up and see what all has been posted, cause i've been working on Youth Legislature, which was this weekend. Anyways...what should I do with my resumee, and what do I do about my recs...do these people give them to me, or do they send them in on their own?? and do you just let them send you resumee, or do you send one to??

sorry for all the ignorant questions, but i am sooo lost!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!

and all you girl headin up to bama wiht me next year, email me!! pritsha1@yahoo.com
Old 04-11-2001, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

futureUAgirl-
My parents are getting all of my rec letters for me, and are having the person who writes the letter send it to the individual sororities. I went to panhellenic weekend this past weekend, and they said that they would send us a rush booklet/guidebook with all of the sororities' addresses, advice on what to wear, etc. in May. Also, I have several friends in sororities down there already, so they have contacted me, asking me to send in my resume and pictures.