GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 882
0 members and 882 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish sororities would ban American Apparel leggings FOR LIFE, not just for recruitment.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I wish sororities would ban American Apparel leggings FOR LIFE, not just for recruitment.
Amen!

Should we go to Convention and try to get this passed?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomanadaxo View Post
Besides, if a PNM judges my entire house because someone wore chandeliere earrings or didn't want to shell out the money for a set of acrylic nails (I know I'm not the only nail-biter out there!) just for recruitment, I'm not sure she would have fit in anyway! But maybe that's just my chapter...
I'm sure they don't have a problem with someone wearing chandelier earrings to the bar. (Because chandelier earrings rule) The problem is, not everyone can distinguish "nice for rush" from "nice for going out."
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I feel that AA should be banned from life, sorority or not.

I may not be in a sorority but I wholeheartedly agree with this recruitment's list. It's about image. You want to put your best foot forward and represent the type of members you want to obtain. I'm not suggesting "faking it," but polishing and refining your chapter's style and image. Even my chapter did it this year and we're co-ed.

(There's a lot of Econ majors on that Exec board... )

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

My college issues instructions for what to wear to real job interviews in corporate America, and it was a lot shorter and simpler than this. For rush, it's not simply a matter of looking professional and appropriate. For this chapter, it's obviously also a matter of looking hip, cool, desirable, dewy, pretty, etc. -- the makeup is there so that you look like someone PNMs would "die to hang out with." I'm not saying that that has to change, but...this isn't really like instructing people for a job interview. Unless you're interviewing to be a makeup artist. It's a lot more like speed dating.
________
Prilosec lawyer

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
My college issues instructions for what to wear to real job interviews in corporate America, and it was a lot shorter and simpler than this. For rush, it's not simply a matter of looking professional and appropriate. For this chapter, it's obviously also a matter of looking hip, cool, desirable, dewy, pretty, etc. -- the makeup is there so that you look like someone PNMs would "die to hang out with." I'm not saying that that has to change, but...this isn't really like instructing people for a job interview. Unless you're interviewing to be a makeup artist. It's a lot more like speed dating.
A couple of years ago, the older sister of a girl I knew who was about to go through recruitment explained to her that it was kind of like flirting with other girls. And it sort of is.

ETA: This is kind of out of control with the number of modifiers. My apologies
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I was never too good at flirting - I'm glad I spent most of my formal recruitments as a collegian as a Rho Gamma.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
A couple of years ago, the older sister of a girl I knew who was about to go through recruitment explained to her that it was kind of like flirting with other girls. And it sort of is.

ETA: This is kind of out of control with the number of modifiers. My apologies
That analogy is actually a really good one. I want to use it with my chapter, except I'm afraid they might take it as "Let's wear ho-boots and fake eyelashes!". Generally, we've never had a problem with dress at recruitment, although we did have to verbally say "No sweatpants" at informal recruitment. Most of the girls are awesome about dressing professional.

As my choir teacher used to say, "Classy not sassy!"

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I legit want to date this girl, she's hilarious.
Me too. Oh, wait, nevermind.

Someone posted in the comments that they were a PiPhi from Cornell and this list was a joke - well - the manner in which it was stated. She was being funny. I don't know if the spelling and grammar was part of the funny, but it might have been.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Me too. Oh, wait, nevermind.

Someone posted in the comments that they were a PiPhi from Cornell and this list was a joke - well - the manner in which it was stated. She was being funny. I don't know if the spelling and grammar was part of the funny, but it might have been.
Yeah, I wasn't offended by the fact that it wasn't term-paper quality. It was guide that was meant to be serious but also funny at the same time, directed to a peer group. Ivy League students don't speak and write the King's English all the time.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Ivy League students don't speak and write the King's English all the time.

^^ this! when i am sending an email to my FRIENDS, having perfect grammar and spelling is hardly my main priority!

on the same note, i think some people are forgetting that this is a message from one sister to people she knows well. if i got a list like this from someone i didn't know well, i might be offended but we have to remember that this is a house officer touching base with the house during what is a very stressful time for her. this was never meant to be dissected by a wide audience (that may or may not have any greek experience) and i don't think it was inappropriate given its proposed context/audience.

familiarity with recipients + rush stress = casual, to-the-point writing style.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen11 View Post
^^ this! when i am sending an email to my FRIENDS, having perfect grammar and spelling is hardly my main priority!

on the same note, i think some people are forgetting that this is a message from one sister to people she knows well. if i got a list like this from someone i didn't know well, i might be offended but we have to remember that this is a house officer touching base with the house during what is a very stressful time for her. this was never meant to be dissected by a wide audience (that may or may not have any greek experience) and i don't think it was inappropriate given its proposed context/audience.

familiarity with recipients + rush stress = casual, to-the-point writing style.
So are you refusing to use proper capitalization on principle? As an act of solidarity?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So are you refusing to use proper capitalization on principle? As an act of solidarity?

um, wow. i can't tell if you're kidding, but i hope you are!

unless i am specifically writing to a professor, boss or other authority figure, i almost never capitalize in emails or other informal means of communication. as part of a generation that has grown up communicating via AIM, texting, facebook, etc., i find it a normal practice to get to the point and be less than concerned about what is properly capitzalized. at least i use punctuation and proper spelling, which is more than i can say for many people my age!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
I pretty much love all of the rules, and the style with which the recruitment chair presents them.

I can't stand that, in the comments, some idiot says "Pi Phi isn't even a good sorority at Cornell," as if that even means anything. What. A. Moron.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
I pretty much love all of the rules, and the style with which the recruitment chair presents them.

I can't stand that, in the comments, some idiot says "Pi Phi isn't even a good sorority at Cornell," as if that even means anything. What. A. Moron.

I agree with you. I don't have any experience with sorority recruitment (except what I've learned from hanging out here), but even I understood the fundamental message. The media has blown the whole thing out of proportion.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928