GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,408
3 members and 1,405 guests
aangelasuasd942, janesstexxda745

Old 04-30-2020, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC has been looking at many different scenarios. They are due to release recommendations to collegian Panhellenics on May 11.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2020, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
University of Alabama just released their 2020 recruitment guide

http://www.uapanhellenic.com/greek-c...ruitment-guide
Old 05-01-2020, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama also says they will open with on campus students this fall and have football.https://www.cbs42.com/news/health/co...ib3WA9BiDh5Fhg
Old 05-02-2020, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I don't think a standard rush is in the cards AT ALL, ANYWHERE this year. I wouldn't want to chance it. Big formal recruitment scares me more than theme parks, frankly.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaCat View Post
Yeah, I don't think a standard rush is in the cards AT ALL, ANYWHERE this year. I wouldn't want to chance it. Big formal recruitment scares me more than theme parks, frankly.
If a state has moved into phase 3 there is no reason why they shouldn't have one especially if on campus classes are being held.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
If a state has moved into phase 3 there is no reason why they shouldn't have one especially if on campus classes are being held.
I read something yesterday that made me think rush should be deferred until January even if colleges are back to school in person: Don't do all non-essential things at once.

Meaning don't go to the salon, then to a gift store, then to a restaurant all in short order, whether on the same day or within a week's time. Space out the non-essentials to avoid crowds. Add in backlash which can lead to re-infection: in Stillwater, OK (home to Oklahoma State) there was such an uproar about people being required to wear masks into stores so the mayor suspended requiring masks (but "encouraging" people to wear them which won't enforce it and make the difference it should). That's a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line: there's no reason to hold rush in the fall given the pandemic. Let students come back to campus. They'll be clustered enough in classes, dorms and if football resumes, at games. Things need to resume slowly, as being recommended, in stages.

Why add another (and yes, non-essential) activity into the mix? Many schools hold deferred rush, with success from what I've read on here, so this could be an option.

Last edited by NYCMS; 05-03-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
I read something yesterday that made me think rush should be deferred until January even if colleges are back to school in person: Don't do all non-essential things at once.

Meaning don't go to the salon, then to a gift store, then to a restaurant all in short order, whether on the same day or within a week's time. Space out the non-essentials to avoid crowds. Add in backlash which can lead to re-infection: in Stillwater, OK (home to Oklahoma State) there was such an uproar about people being required to wear masks into stores so the mayor suspended requiring masks (but "encouraging" people to wear them which won't enforce it and make the difference it should). That's a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line: there's no reason to hold rush in the fall given the pandemic. Let students come back to campus. They'll be clustered enough in classes, dorms and if football resumes, at games. Things need to resume slowly, as being recommended, in stages.

Why add another (and yes, non-essential) activity into the mix? Many schools hold deferred rush, with success from what I've read on here, so this could be an option.
There are so many opinion articles about how to move forward that I take them with a grain a salt and honestly I don't agree with this view at all. I also think there are several reasons why things should go as planned in the fall if a state has entered "Phase 3" .

I think in end it will come down to the individual schools doing what they feel is in the best interest of their student body . I think NPC will give recommendations but also allow schools to make their own decisions. I would be willing to bet money big SEC schools will proceed as planned.

Last edited by zTaalum; 05-03-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
I would be willing to be money big SEC schools will proceed as planned.
Heavens, yes. I have heard too many stories about how Ole Miss's later rush screwed up women's classes/studying/etc.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Heavens, yes. I have heard too many stories about how Ole Miss's later rush screwed up women's classes/studying/etc.
Would it kill the schools to move to deferred recruitment under the circumstances? If my DD was planning to go through recruitment in early August, I would tell her that Greek Life wasn't worth killing her.

Yes, I'm impartial but I like the way tOSU does it in January.
Saturday/Sunday - Meet the Chapters
Friday Evening - Round 2
Saturday - Round 3
Sunday - Pref
MLK Holiday - Bid Day.

It doesn't hit mid terms, it doesn't interfer with football games and PNMs don't need to return early before the semester begins. It also gives PNMs without bids a better chance to stay in school because, junst maybe, they have found there are more opportunities in college for involvement.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

They would need more than 4 days.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactly...and I think the bigger (SEC/Big 12) schools might have to spread out their recruitment further to make smaller parties. They're not saying they're doing that now, but it does make me squirm at the sizes of some of these parties.

My worry isn't for the collegians, it's for the older professors and other staff members that would be working around/with the students.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Would it kill the schools to move to deferred recruitment under the circumstances? If my DD was planning to go through recruitment in early August, I would tell her that Greek Life wasn't worth killing her.

Yes, I'm impartial but I like the way tOSU does it in January.
Saturday/Sunday - Meet the Chapters
Friday Evening - Round 2
Saturday - Round 3
Sunday - Pref
MLK Holiday - Bid Day.

It doesn't hit mid terms, it doesn't interfer with football games and PNMs don't need to return early before the semester begins. It also gives PNMs without bids a better chance to stay in school because, junst maybe, they have found there are more opportunities in college for involvement.
Again if big theme parks are on the verge of opening and girls can live in a tiny dorm room next to each other stacked on top of each other than sorority recruitment can go on. The average person has over a 98% chance of surviving this virus so your "worth killing " comment is a little dramatic.

Until you have experienced recruitment or a bid day at a big SEC school you can't possibly understand how much of a Greek life killer winter recruitment would be to these campuses. I know girls who choose schools like Alabama over schools like OSU, Uof M and many others simply based on the Greek life there. Silly maybe but it's a big factor.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

TCU sounds like they're already hedging for some sort of change to recruitment (from their Panhellenic website: https://tcupanhellenic.com/covid-19)

TCU is a larger recruitment (pledge classes around 70, 40-50% of the total student population). Not as big as an Alabama, but not small either.

I think it will all go on in the fall. I just think there will be changes.

As for schools hoping to have football season as planned, I thought this was a good interview with the Big 12 commissioner about all the different mental scenarios they're running through at this point... The worry isn't the beginning of the season, it's that this comes roaring back in the later months at the beginning of flu season.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...disrupt-season
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
TCU sounds like they're already hedging for some sort of change to recruitment (from their Panhellenic website: https://tcupanhellenic.com/covid-19)

TCU is a larger recruitment (pledge classes around 70, 40-50% of the total student population). Not as big as an Alabama, but not small either.

I think it will all go on in the fall. I just think there will be changes.

As for schools hoping to have football season as planned, I thought this was a good interview with the Big 12 commissioner about all the different mental scenarios they're running through at this point... The worry isn't the beginning of the season, it's that this comes roaring back in the later months at the beginning of flu season.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...disrupt-season
That's why I think getting it done in August is a better idea. Also I think with
the new information about the virus not being able to survive high heat and humidity makes August sound even better especially for the southern states.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That was 5 days if you count the outline in my post.