GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,706
0 members and 1,706 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Malia Obama's (possible) college choices

Rumor mill starting to churn.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/plenty...175147030.html

Do all the universities mentioned in the article have sororities?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also betting on Stanford. First, it's a gorgeous campus in Palo Alto. The climate is best in the nation. Stanford has always been an attractive choice for children of politicians (Chelsea Clinton), entertainers (Cary Grant's daughter, Sigourney Weaver, Reese Witherspoon, Fred Savage, Rob Lowe's son, etc etc etc), writers, media moguls, tech mogul kids (Katie Couric's daughter is there now)....etc..........

It is a magnificent university full of super smart, culturally diverse students and I think Malia would fit in perfectly! Great sports too! Not so sure about the film studies tho. How about engineering Malia? Come to Stanford--youll love it!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she'll choose Columbia, personally. But I am sure she will be happy wherever she goes.

Not sure about Greek life at any of those places, but I doubt she will join anything. Her parents did not join social GLOs while in college and it doesn't appear that her family's close friends are Greek either.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

When she was in the Bay Area, she spent most of her time at Cal. I think that she will stay on the East Coast.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Barnard personally. His sister went there and he spoke at their graduation two years ago.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Not sure about Greek life at any of those places, but I doubt she will join anything. Her parents did not join social GLOs while in college and it doesn't appear that her family's close friends are Greek either.
But there has been a generational shift in JOINING. While I think she probably won't, it is not outside the realm of possibility. The problem as I see it is whether she would look at an NPC or NPHC and that question would keep her from joining either. Unfortunately politics would interfere.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But there has been a generational shift in JOINING. While I think she probably won't, it is not outside the realm of possibility. The problem as I see it is whether she would look at an NPC or NPHC and that question would keep her from joining either. Unfortunately politics would interfere.
Speaking of politics, wasn't one of Colin Powell's daughters a Kappa?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Why would you think politics would interfere?

I ask because it took Barack and Michelle a while to make inroads with NPHC groups--even during his 2008 campaign, there were articles about their reluctance to be associated with the NPHC groups. I think that's passed now, but neither of them have that in their backgrounds so they may be more supportive of having a daughter go NPC than if they were more in that world.

Also--what happens in Tuscaloosa aside--the "black girl joining an NPC" situation is not the big deal it was even when I was in school.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Why would you think politics would interfere?

I ask because it took Barack and Michelle a while to make inroads with NPHC groups--even during his 2008 campaign, there were articles about their reluctance to be associated with the NPHC groups. I think that's passed now, but neither of them have that in their backgrounds so they may be more supportive of having a daughter go NPC than if they were more in that world.

Also--what happens in Tuscaloosa aside--the "black girl joining an NPC" situation is not the big deal it was even when I was in school.
My recollection is that they were reluctant to be associated with any one group, as that necessarily meant a rejection of the other groups, rather than having an issue with NPHC groups generally.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

As wonderful as all the east coast ivies are, I think that Stanford far and away has the best combination of uber-elite academics and campus athletics. Actually, I think the California schools in general do that pretty well (Cal, UCLA, and even USC).
Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Since Malia's heavily into sports, I guess that leaves the University of Chicago off her list.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't Michelle Obama inducted as an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha at some point? I remember reading that somewhere.

ETA: She was inducted at AKA's centennial convention in 2008.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ceptance/?_r=0

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/loca...4d44c3370.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
My recollection is that they were reluctant to be associated with any one group, as that necessarily meant a rejection of the other groups, rather than having an issue with NPHC groups generally.
You're right. The NYT article says:

Quote:
“Because of her respect for each of the historically black sororities and fraternities, her membership is non-exclusive. She looks forward to working with all of them to help bring change to their communities.”
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee

Last edited by Alpha O; 10-08-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
Wasn't Michelle Obama inducted as an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha at some point? I remember reading that somewhere.

OH MY! Can you imagine if she were to join another NPHC organization now? Surely they would not tolerate that.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
OH MY! Can you imagine if she were to join another NPHC organization now? Surely they would not tolerate that.
There could be quite an uproar. Though, I'm sure she knows that that'd a faux pas.

I've wondered--do honorary members in NPHC groups have the same rights and privileges as members? By virtue of them being called honorary members instead of something closer to alumnae initiates, I assumed that that wasn't the case, but I have no idea if that's true. If we're not allowed to know, forget I ever asked. I hope the question doesn't offend anyone.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 10-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There could be quite an uproar. Though, I'm sure she knows that that'd a faux pas.

I've wondered--do honorary members in NPHC groups have the same rights and privileges as members? By virtue of them being called honorary members instead of something closer to alumnae initiates, I assumed that that wasn't the case, but I have no idea if that's true. If we're not allowed to know, forget I ever asked. I hope the question doesn't offend anyone.

For SGRho, no they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Quote:

ETA: She was inducted at AKA's centennial convention in 2008.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ceptance/?_r=0

Mrs. Obama's membership is non-exclusive because she said she has respect for all 4 NPHC sororities.