GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,642
0 members and 1,642 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2016, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sigma Sigma - Hunter College

I am a student at Hunter College and was wondering if anyone is interested in recolonizing the Alpha Chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccarli View Post
I am a student at Hunter College and was wondering if anyone is interested in recolonizing the Alpha Chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma?
This is not how re-colonization works. Please do a little research, and realize that trying to reach out to strangers on a message board to start a chapter at your school is most certainly not the route to take.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I suggest you first see if Hunter is open to expansion--taking on a new colony of a sorority. If they are not open to expansion you won't be able to get a colony started from an NPC.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, if our information is correct, Hunter does not currently have a Greek system. So here's what I would do: talk to your head of student activities about if there is any shot that they would allow it now. Then start finding girls who would also be interested and start an interest group. Once it's a number you deem reasonable, reach out to Phi Sig. You might also research the other NPC sororities. Phi Sig might not be in a position to expand in New York right now, but someone else might be. And be patient! This will take time.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Actually, if our information is correct, Hunter does not currently have a Greek system. So here's what I would do: talk to your head of student activities about if there is any shot that they would allow it now. Then start finding girls who would also be interested and start an interest group. Once it's a number you deem reasonable, reach out to Phi Sig. You might also research the other NPC sororities. Phi Sig might not be in a position to expand in New York right now, but someone else might be. And be patient! This will take time.
Google says that Hunter has a whole ton of local Greek orgs. I am wondering if any NPC group would be interested in absorbing those, or conversely if they are interested in going national. I have no idea!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hunter College

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So here's what I would do: talk to your head of student activities about if there is any shot that they would allow it now. Then start finding girls who would also be interested and start an interest group. Once it's a number you deem reasonable, reach out to Phi Sig. You might also research the other NPC sororities. Phi Sig might not be in a position to expand in New York right now, but someone else might be. And be patient! This will take time.
Great suggestion to begin in the student activities office. I am a professor at a different CUNY - Baruch. In general the administration/faculty of the colleges have not supported the re-establishment of NPC sororities. There are still faculty members who support the ban from decades ago. Unfortunately, Baruch has a ban on social fraternities and sororities due to a hazing death a few years ago. You need to recognize this as you approach the administration. That said, my own department contains numerous sorority and fraternity alumni and parents.

PM me if you have CUNY questions. Good luck with your quest.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

And on that note, the selling point would be with a sorority headquarters overseeing, we have ZERO tolerance for hazing. While I (sadly) can't say it doesn't happen, the threat of closure from nationals is at least something. The locals don't have that.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting range of replies for this topic.

While I would love to see our Alpha Chapter reinstalled, I don't think it's a possibility. If it is or ever became a possibility, I trust my sorority will be aware of it and make an appropriate decision.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Well we could have said eewww Phi Sig? Lol.KIDDING! But you're right. We all want our Alpha chapters back and I can't imagine my sorority not being 100% aware of any opportunities at the tiny school that we're from.

And I circle back around to if you want to start an NPC, research all of them. But if hazing is a problem with the locals there, I wouldn't hold your breath. We don't want to absorb existing bad habits or expectations.