GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,383
0 members and 1,383 guests
No Members online

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

New IFC restrictions for "State" Patty's Day.

I was ready for this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of students were not.

"State" Patty's Day is a "holiday" that began three years ago as a response to the the administration, who, seemingly to avoid the raucous behavior of St. Patty's Day, scheduled spring break to overlap with March 17th.

Since 2007 this holiday has become synonymous with binge drinking, DUI's, violence, and property damage. And though St. Patrick's Day has not been over spring break for the past two years, the students of Penn State have continued to celebrate it nevertheless.

Currently though, all fraternity parties will likely be restricted to either the 11 AM- 3 PM slot or the 8 PM to 11 PM slot for their event (i.e. no day long parties), there will be no wine nor liquor to be at these parties, and the guest list will be limited to 50 people (although I've also heard 100, the Collegian article stated 50).

Basically, this has caused an absolute uproar amongst Greek students as the policies do not really effect independent students, and many Greeks feel scapegoated by these measures.

I was just wondering what you all thought about this. Just as a side note though, the Panhellenic Council was not in any way involved in this decision making process, only the IFC. But the reaction to these decisions has been strong amongst all Greeks, so I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on this were.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM

Wine at fraternity parties? Liquor for everyone, not hidden in a brother's bedroom?

It's a different world from where I come from.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

o_O

Wow. They are not playing this year with State Patty's Day. But, restricting the fraternities will just mean more kids will be drinking at apt and house parties and the same old drama will go on anyway.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
"State" Patty's Day is a "holiday" that began three years ago as a response to the the administration, who, seemingly to avoid the raucous behavior of St. Patty's Day, scheduled spring break to overlap with March 17th.
Ha, sounds like Unofficial...(or I should say UnOFfIcial...silly other Illinois schools who have tried to steal it ).

Anyways, it seems the school has given up as of two years ago. This will be the second year in a row that the real St. Patrick's Day is not over spring break.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueGBI View Post
o_O

Wow. They are not playing this year with State Patty's Day. But, restricting the fraternities will just mean more kids will be drinking at apt and house parties and the same old drama will go on anyway.
Personally, this is what I think will happen as well. And I'm actually quite in line with these policies because if they are upheld yet the craziness of the day still ensues, the University will no longer be able to point the finger at Greek life for causing trouble. Just my .02.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
Personally, this is what I think will happen as well. And I'm actually quite in line with these policies because if they are upheld yet the craziness of the day still ensues, the University will no longer be able to point the finger at Greek life for causing trouble. Just my .02.
Gah, I graduated four yrs ago from PSU and I can say with a straight face that the next time I go and visit, I probably won't recognize the greek system there anymore.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I admit that I am not speaking with full knowledge of the situation, so take this for what it's worth. Just something to consider.

First of all, IFC is made up of a representative from each chapter. Those representatives would have to vote on adopting this policy. So the Greeks shouldn't be pissed at the school because it was a policy their very own chapters voted to pass (at least the IFC Chapters).

Chances are, these IFC policies are actually in line with the Inter/National Orgs policies (pretty sure no fraternity is allowed to host a party with open access to non members and uncontrolled access to alcohol). So they aren't going to get much sympathy from HQ and Administrators (unless there's some huge part of this that I'm missing).

The chapters may be feeling scapegoated, but they also should consider their actions and how they may/may not be playing into the stereotype that they also complain about. In other words, if someone doesn't want to be known as a drunken sorority slut, they should not act like a drunken sorority slut (that is an EXAMPLE...I'm not calling anyone names!). Maybe the IFC made this move because the parties on "State" Patty's Day were causing more harm? I don't know...I wasn't there for the discussion.

And finally...if chapter members find their party policies too restrictive, just go to a party hosted by some "independents" that don't have to follow Risk Management Policies and have your fun there. Nothing wrong with partying with non-Greek members...they drink just like everyone else!

PsychTau
Old 02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Penn State Alum, who graduated in 2007 (when State Patty's Day started), I can say that I feel for the Greeks at Penn State over these policies. I even have a shirt from State Patty's Day that says something about Penn State being a better school than others (something like, reason #137 why Penn State is better than your school...We start our own holidays) regarding drinking and partying.

Penn State is known for being a party school, but the academics are no joke. I understand not wanting DUIs and damage of personal property, but Greeks aren't the ONLY ONES who give Penn State the party image.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychTau View Post
First of all, IFC is made up of a representative from each chapter. Those representatives would have to vote on adopting this policy. So the Greeks shouldn't be pissed at the school because it was a policy their very own chapters voted to pass (at least the IFC Chapters).
Oh come now. We all know that IFCs and NPCs occasionally get buffaloed or pretty much blackmailed into voting ways that they don't agree with at all, for fear of the consequences if they don't. There was a drinking-related death at Penn State last fall and the Greek system as a whole pretty much has its balls in a sling. I'm wagering the guys who voted for this didn't feel like they had a choice. I'd rather see the school just man up and ban things from the top rather than doing crap like this and saying "well, YOUR STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES voted in favor of it!"
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh come now. We all know that IFCs and NPCs occasionally get buffaloed or pretty much blackmailed into voting ways that they don't agree with at all, for fear of the consequences if they don't. There was a drinking-related death at Penn State last fall and the Greek system as a whole pretty much has its balls in a sling. I'm wagering the guys who voted for this didn't feel like they had a choice. I'd rather see the school just man up and ban things from the top rather than doing crap like this and saying "well, YOUR STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES voted in favor of it!"
Yes!

Is it bad that the St. Patty's Day Party at my school is in the IFC bylaws as a party that can't be conflicted with?...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is basically what happened, or so I heard. The only voting members of the IFC council are the fraternity presidents, but when you're in a room with the head of Greek life and many other important executives, it's unlikely you're going to "stick it to the man" at that time.